Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basil

Uptown/23rd Basil

Basil Mediterranean opening in the old KFC location at 23rd and Harvey, per Uptown23rd's Facebook page. Great news!

Uptown/23rd Basil Mediterranean coming to 23rd

Located in the old KFC at 23rd & Harvey. Per Uptown23's FB page. Great news!

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Basil Mediterranean opening in the old KFC location at 23rd and Harvey, per Uptown23rd's Facebook page. Great news!
    That is great news...

Must be related to the location in Midwest City:

Mediterranean Food Midwest City, OK - Basil Mediterranean Cafe

HangryHippo Guest

Awesome! Another lunch haunt.

Basil is good stuff, been to the one in MWC.

Default Re: Basil Mediterranean coming to 23rd

I was told that the original plans for a mediterranean restaurant was squashed because KFC removed ALL the HVAC equipment in the building when they left, making it too costly to put anything in there. Glad to hear that it's happening after all!!

Default Re: General Midtown Thread

$20,000 remodel permit for the former KFC at 211 NW 23rd.

Applicant name is Shayan Baradarn from Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    $20,000 remodel permit for the former KFC at 211 NW 23rd.

Applicant name is Shayan Baradarn from Mustang.
    I believe it was announced that this is going to be a restaurant named Basil Mediterranean Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by tillyato View Post
    I believe it was announced that this is going to be a restaurant named Basil Mediterranean Cafe.
    yep they have a location in Midwest city

My wife and I had Basil for the first time tonight and it was just great. They do a good lunch business and their dinner has not picked up yet. I talked with the owner and he said they are planning on adding a patio to the west of the restaurant. He already has the plans, he is just waiting on a permit.

I have been there a few times and enjoyed it very much. I usually get the veggie sampler and think their spanikopitas are the best I have ever had.

They were previously located out in Midwest City area, it was one of my go-to lunch spots when I worked in the area. It makes me sad that shortly after I left midtown they moved so close. They honestly have the best Fallafel I have ever tried.

13. Default Re: Basil Mediterranean coming to 23rd

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisJ View Post
    They were previously located out in Midwest City area,
    They still have the Midwest City location.

I happened to try this place out last week and enjoyed it... had the 'governor' gyro since i wanted to try both their chicken and gyro meat and really enjoyed the roasted peppers on it. -M

15. Uptown/23rd Basil Mediterranean

We went to Basil Mediterranean on 23rd a few weeks ago. Here is what they thought of it.
    Still corrupting young minds

16. Default Re: Shameless Plug -- my news staff writes food reviews, Basil Mediterranean edition

I really like this place. Eaten there a couple of times and the food was always good - not great - but good and not some fried mess that sits in your stomach like a rock.

Interior is a bit sketchy (as in low budget renovations), but the staff has always been friendly.

I also like Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill.

Default Re: Shameless Plug -- my news staff writes food reviews, Basil Mediterranean edition

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I really like this place. Eaten there a couple of times and the food was always good - not great - but good and not some fried mess that sits in your stomach like a rock.

Interior is a bit sketchy (as in low budget renovations), but the staff has always been friendly.

I also like Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill.
    I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be... partly due to the interior, I agree. Also, for the same people that own Zorba's, it didn't seem quite up to that level. Need to get back.

I have a hard time going to Garbanzo, even though I like the owner of this franchise and Ryan Parrot (his Director of Operations). There are just too many tasty, locally owned, cheaper places to go before a franchised operation. 'Ol Gyro is my favorite (was the Olive Branch in downtown).

Default Re: Shameless Plug -- my news staff writes food reviews, Basil Mediterranean edition

I think I'm spoiled with Zam Zam's. This place didn't even compare.

food is definitely good, not great, but definitely good. the place was a little dirty the one time I have been though, hope that was an exception for them. I will be back.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I think I'm spoiled with Zam Zam's. This place didn't even compare.
    Zam Zam's isn't anything close to what it was before the cook was deported. Before that, it was amazing.

All this place did was make me miss Europe :-(

It's not bad…but…we're really not even close to the Kebab's and Gyros you can find in Europe…A lot of it has to do with the quality of the meat, which here is very very very processed (as opposed to just very processed)

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Zam Zam's isn't anything close to what it was before the cook was deported. Before that, it was amazing.
    Well it's a shame I missed that. It's still my favorite in the metro.

Camilya's is by far and away my fave of them all. I've been to Ol Gyro, and even though I know it's owned by the Olive Branch folks, it's just not the same to me.

HangryHippo Guest

Where is Ol Gyro?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Well it's a shame I missed that. It's still my favorite in the metro.
    I still think they're very good, but the guy that used to cook there was just amazing.

Thread Information