Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 15 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Midtown Nic's Diner + Lounge

Justin Nicholas, better known as Nic to those who frequent his wildly popular yet tiny place on N. Pennsylvania Avenue, has started construction on a new restaurant and bar concept in a historic Midtown building.

To be called Nic's Diner + Lounge, the restaurant will feature breakfast, lunch and dinner and a basement level lounge and bar with it's own entrance.

The building at 1116 N. Robinson has been undergoing a renovation which has resulted in the removal of a 70's era metal facade, cleaned stonework and new windows and doors. Interior work started two weeks ago and framing is largely complete.

Nic's Grill at 1201 N. Penn has been featured on the Food Network's Diners Drive ins and Dives and regularly appears on many Best Burger lists. Nic himself mans the grill 10AM to 2PM Monday through Friday, with almost continual lines out the door.

Nicholas told OKCTalk that the diner will feature the same great burgers and fries but also add back the popular breakfast the grill once offered before hours were reduced. In addition to full breakfast, the new restaurant will offer a complete menu of comfort food, such as a Reuben sandwich, chicken fried steak, porch chops and steak.

All food will feature Nic's tried-and-true philosophy: Generous portions of quality, well-cooked food.

Nic's Grill will continue to operate and Nicholas will still keep the same hours there, but will also spend a significant amount of time at the diner.

While the restaurant will feature a clean, open design and seat about 60, the intimate downstairs lounge will be traditional with dark woods and velvet fabrics. In addition to a full bar, a limited food menu will be offered there as well.

Hours are yet to be determined, although Nicholas is considering late-night dining if demand warrants.

This will be the latest in a surging number of restaurants and bars along the booming 10th Street corridor, which now includes Sidecar, Broadway 10, The Garage, Bleu Garten, R&J Supper Club, Fassler Hall / Dust Bowl, O Bar at the Ambassador Hotel as well as established Midtown favorites such as McNellie's, Louie's, Waffle Champion, Stella, 1492, Cafe do Brazil and several others.

Nic's Diner + Lounge will open this fall.

Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Might have a breakfast spot next to work now. I will take some pictures soon.

I've wanted to try his chicken fried steak for a long time but know that any time I manage to get into the grill that I'd always just have to have the burger.

Now, the CFS will be infinitely more accessible. And the lounge sounds very, very cool.

4. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

I've tried the chicken fried steak before and it's worth trying. Nic's version is a little unique in that he cooks it on the flat top where it fries in the burger and bacon drippings rather than deep frying it or pan frying it in oil.

I am ready. Will the burgers be the same as Nic's. The Myriad Gardens location is different. Anyways, when it opens. The CFS will be the first thing I order.

6. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
    I am ready. Will the burgers be the same as Nic's. The Myriad Gardens location is different. Anyways, when it opens. The CFS will be the first thing I order.
    I wouldn't count on it..... One, because Nic has said he will still be running the grill at Nic's Grill and that nothing will be changing there. Two, I've heard Nic refer to this location as an upscale diner.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the food here will be good but it's not going to be what you get at Nic's Grill.

From what I have been told, Justin has a partner that has been working with him for some years, something close to two decades, who will be running this location. He knows the ins and outs of his grill and knows how to make the burgers as close to Justin's and one can get. So it should be very very promising.

Justin has said the burgers at the new location will not be and not try to be a recreation of the original

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Justin has said the burgers at the new location will not be and not try to be a recreation of the original
    Good. Wouldn't be possible anyway.

10. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

New article about Nic's Diner and Lounge from Dave Cathey today...

Nic's at Night: Iconic Oklahoma City burger joint will expand come fall | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the writer of the article above seems to think differently:

When Nic’s Diner and Lounge in Midtown, 1116 N Robinson Ave., opens in the fall, he will serve the same burgers, pork chops, chicken-fried steak with transcendent cream gravy and add a few new items. The new place will offer full service and include an expansive basement bar. Back will be the breakfast service he had to abandon for health reasons two years ago, and dinner will, at long last, be served.

12. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    the writer of the article above seems to think differently:
    Yep... There is definitely some contradiction there from what's written and words I've heard directly from Justin's mouth..... Of course he could have changed his mind since the last time I heard those words.

Anybody been by here lately and noticed how things are progressing?

14. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Drove by yesterday and the plywood is still up over the doors and their is some frame work up on the inside but doesn't appear to be moving very quickly.

Went by yesterday (yes, I'm in town!) and virtually no progress has been made since my last trip in May.

I'll try and find out what is going on.

Does this mean we're having a get together soon?!

Blog Entries

Not if Nic's isn't done yet! :-P

18. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

I bumped into Nic on Sunday morning. He was heading over to work on the new place. He said it is coming along nicely and laid out the hours. Sounds like he is back in the breakfast business. He makes the best french toast in town.

There's a nice coat of white paint on this building now. It's looking so sharp! I didn't stop and get a picture, but maybe somebody will.

Please tell me you're joking...

Nope. It might just be primer to prepare the brick for another paint color, but I kinda like the white.

I noticed new windows in yesterday, but didn't notice the paint... I'll take a look tonight. That would be pretty frustrating if they painted the brick.

I really hope they didn't paint the brick. I had thought we were finally realizing what a mistake that was.

24. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Does design review go north of 10th? I was thinking it does. Paint would require design review and wouldn't pass if the building were unpainted. If so, and they painted it, someone's going to be in trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Does design review go north of 10th? I was thinking it does. Paint would require design review and wouldn't pass if the building were unpainted. If so, and they painted it, someone's going to be in trouble...
    It looks likes Downtown Business District goes just north of 10th to Park Place... which would include this building.

Thread Information