Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

It wasn't a big application. It only listed 6 things. See google 1116 N Robinson site:Okc.gov it is one of the top 3 listings

It wasn't a big application. It only listed 6 things. See google 1116 N Robinson site:Okc.gov it is one of the top 3 listings

Don't care how bad it looks or doesn't, cause pretty soon you'll be able to get Nics breakfast whenever you want it.

Rushed picture I took yesterday but it looks like the paint job is relatively complete.

Bleck.

Saw it driving by and it's depressing. Hey, let's paint the church next door and put vinyl replacement windows in there in place of the stained glass!

6. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

That really makes me sad to see considering the blonde brick was in perfect condition and looked wonderful.

Wow, this looks bad. What a disconnect some property owners have with their surroundings...

I had heard that the City issued a cease and desist order... Did they finish painting anyway despite the order? Or was a C&D never issued? Does the City have any legal recourse here?

The original brick did look to be in pretty good shape once they removed that hideous blue facade.

Not sure what they were thinking here.

10. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

I looks like it could have easily been cleaned up a bit to look even better.

11. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not sure what they were thinking here.
    As I pointed out above... It's the same color scheme as Nic's Grill...... Grey building, black window frame & dressing, and I bet some blue signage is on the agenda..... That's what they are thinking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4808...2!8i6656?hl=en

Blog Entries

Depressing indeed ^

Yeah, I can see the idea of color scheme tie in. I wish it had been the same lighter gray if that was the plan. But, not my bricks, not my pigments.

So they continued painting it after and despite of the cease and desist order?

Whisky chicks, bricktown brewery, banjo museum , spaghetti wharehouse, all have painted brick, I don't see the problem with him wanting to make this building have the same scheme as the original, least he didn't implode or bull doze it and building something new. I just wished he would hurry up and finish , I've been missing his breakfast ever since he hit the big time.

I don't think that's the point. Once brick it painted it will always have to be painted. The issue is not to paint it in the first place. All the buildings you mentioned in brick town were painted in the 80's & 90's. The ones that didn't get painted were the empty ones before the design overlay was placed.

17. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    Whisky chicks, bricktown brewery, banjo museum , spaghetti wharehouse, all have painted brick, I don't see the problem with him wanting to make this building have the same scheme as the original, least he didn't implode or bull doze it and building something new. I just wished he would hurry up and finish , I've been missing his breakfast ever since he hit the big time.
    All of those buildings were painted before a design ordinance was enacted, in part to protect the character and integrity of the remaining buildings. Once a building is painted it's not wrong to paint it again; in fact doing so every few years will now become a maintenance requirement for the rest of the life of a painted building.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    All of those buildings were painted before a design ordinance was enacted, in part to protect the character and integrity of the remaining buildings. Once a building is painted it's not wrong to paint it again; in fact doing so every few years will now become a maintenance requirement for the rest of the life of a painted building.
    The Marion was painted at one point, it can be removed if the next guy feels like he needs to....

19. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

The Marion is a pretty bad example to bring up if trying to extol the harmless nature of paint on brick.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Marion is a pretty bad example to bring up if trying to extol the harmless nature of paint on brick.
    Yes. Was to the point of nearly collapsing on itself and had to be dismantled and completely rebuilt brick by brick.

Totally harmless....

Edit: And the restoration was a costly labor of love, and will likely not be a profitable restoration for many, many years. It made no direct business sense to restore Marion, but was very important to Midtown's character to be worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes. Was to the point of nearly collapsing on itself and had to be dismantled and completely rebuilt brick by brick.

Totally harmless....

Edit: And the restoration was a costly labor of love, and will likely not be a profitable restoration for many, many years. It made no direct business sense to restore Marion, but was very important to Midtown's character to be worth the trouble.
    So you're saying that the paint on the brick caused the Marion to dang near collapse, it wasn't the fact that it didn't have a roof for thirty or forty years? There are building all over America and Europe that have had painted brick for hundreds of years that are in great condition.

So you're saying that the paint on the brick caused the Marion to dang near collapse, it wasn't the fact that it didn't have a roof for thirty or forty years? There are building all over America and Europe that have had painted brick for hundreds of years that are in great condition.
    Because those buildings are repainted frequently. This building was never painted and should have remained that way.

As a business owner when you have multiple locations , you have to have consistency with decor , plates, forks, menus, signage, food, it's what people recognize and it triggers something in your brain. The Grey paint is only darker because it hasn't faded yet, Nics original was painted and replaced Windows and doors around 10 years ago, I would almost bet breakfast that he used the exact same paint code from back then.

As a business owner when you have multiple locations , you have to have consistency with decor , plates, forks, menus, signage, food, it's what people recognize and it triggers something in your brain. The Grey paint is only darker because it hasn't faded yet, Nics original was painted and replaced Windows and doors around 10 years ago, I would almost bet breakfast that he used the exact same paint code from back then.
    Nic's food speaks for itself. If it weren't for this thread I'd have no knowledge or memory of what his other building looks like, or what color the plates are. He makes a mean hamburger, and that's all I, and most everyone who eats there, knows. Seeing a grey building does not remind me of a Nic's burger. He's not the next In-N-Out Burger, requiring a corporate theme across 200 restaurants. He has two locations. And no one knows what color his store is, and if they do it's bar trivia at best.

Agreed. That's a lame argument to decree an eternal paint scheme slathered on a downtown structure on behalf of a crap little building in the ten Penn. I don't care how good the breakfast used to be.

Thread Information