Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 101112131415

Thread: Nic's Diner + Lounge

Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

They keep saying it's the same burger...but it's not the same burger. Maybe it's because of the atmosphere or something else, but I would much rather have it at the cramped, cash only, lunch only location.

The few times that I have eaten at midtown Nic's I have had a problem. Went the first week it was opened and was disappointed that the burger was not even close to the same as the burger at the original location. Second time, the burgers came out overcooked. Waitress suggested we just eat them because it would take a long time for new burgers to come out. Third time we tried the breakfast (first weekend they offered it) and they were already "out" of several items--at 9am.

One instance, Nic came by to thank us for trying the breakfast and was really nice. I asked about the lounge downstairs which he said would be opening very soon. I let him know that I was looking for a place to host my upcoming birthday party and he said he would put it in the calendar to have a booth reserved that night. Needless to say, it was never put in his calendar and there was no booth saved.

I haven't been to the lounge in a long time, but the bar staff always seemed have an attitude as well, as if they were used to working in smokey bars and had to "hold their own" again the drunk patrons.

Every aspect of this place has felt like a square peg in a round hole. Shame, because the location and build out is great.

My wife and I tried this for the first time about a week and a half ago... or maybe two weeks now. Anyways, our experience wasn't the greatest, even before we walked into the restaurant. We saw two cars park in their little lot and walk over to the Garage even though the lot is exclusive for Nic's, so we parked on the street and walked, no big deal. As we were walking along the sidewalk some guy in a red Mercedes sports car, the one with goldwing doors, comes zipping through and parks on the sidewalk right in front of us as we were walking to Nic's. I kindly commented on how nice it must be to be rich enough to park where ever and the guy cusses me out as he walks into Nic's and heads downstairs. I simply call the cops and report his illegally parked vehicle. My wife and I enter the restaurant, which wasn't at all busy, a few tables occupied upstairs and no open tables downstairs. The host eventually runs over and helps us to a table, it took a little longer than expected with just how empty it was upstairs, but I was forgiving and didn't mind. Now their A/C must have been having some issues or just the fact of sharing the same floor with the kitchen made it hot and muggy in the upstairs but nice and cool downstairs. The waiter towards the end of our meal, since we were the last guests upstairs, gave us a little explanation as to what was wrong with the A/C and that they were hoping to have it looked at soon. After we were seated it took our waiter quite some time to come by and take our drink orders, once again the wife and I were just enjoying a leisurely supper and in no hurry, so not the biggest of deals. As we were waiting, we got to listening to the other tables around us. One group, there for a birthday, had clearly been there for some time and where fairly vocal in their discomfort. The whole table gets up and walks out, one gentleman walks over to the waiter and speaks with him. Shortly after the table got outside, all of their food comes and the group comes back in to eat. not entirely sure what all the fuss was, but we had overheard someone saying that the table had been there for an hour and a half before getting their food. At this time our server returns with our drinks and says he will be right back to take our food orders. I will fast forward to when we eventually get our food, mind you it was about 45 minutes after we ordered that our food came out. We order the original Nic's burgers, nothing special. Now no new tables came in after us, everybody that came in after us went downstairs. Besides the long times in between ordering and when our drinks/food came, the food was very delicious. The burgers and fries were both hot and fresh. Neither one of us has had the burgers from the place on Penn Ave, so we couldn't compare, but as for burgers in OKC I would rank what we had among the top. Granted my top choices are La Baguette and Lip Smackers. By the time we were eating we were the last people upstairs. We witnessed some people come up and try to talk with Nic, which maybe be the reason for our order being late, we saw a few angry patrons come up to complain about there not being a reserved booth downstairs and how the service was slow, and some other things. Overall, my wife and I were hoping for a good experience and it was lackluster. The burgers were good, but the service and atmosphere were so poor we probably will go elsewhere. We hoped this was a fluke night, but reading through some of the other posts on here makes me think there are some blaring issues with the management.

They were on the Cumulus deal thing last month where you could order 50.00 worth of certificates for 25.00. that makes the prices more in line with what they should be. I love the look of the place and the basement lounge is fantastic, however it needs a new menu to match the identity.

Blog Entries

the basement lounge is the redeeming quality of this establishment. cool place to take visitors that would otherwise have no idea it was there.

The basement is a very nice space. But the last time we went down there for drinks our obviously drunk and slightly confused bartender asked us to tab out for the one round we’d had because his shift was ending. He tagged out with an even MORE drunk and confused bartender. We just laughed and left. It’s so badly mismanaged. I’m really, REALLY not rooting for it to fail. But I wish something cataclysmic would happen to turn the ship around.

Edit: I just want to add how peeved I get asked to pay in the middle of a meal / drinking session so the server can collect a tip. And I get to start over again and swipe my card twice. I now make it a practice of saying no.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    My wife and I tried this for the first time about a week and a half ago... or maybe two weeks now. Anyways, our experience wasn't the greatest, even before we walked into the restaurant. We saw two cars park in their little lot and walk over to the Garage even though the lot is exclusive for Nic's, so we parked on the street and walked, no big deal. As we were walking along the sidewalk some guy in a red Mercedes sports car, the one with goldwing doors, comes zipping through and parks on the sidewalk right in front of us as we were walking to Nic's. I kindly commented on how nice it must be to be rich enough to park where ever and the guy cusses me out as he walks into Nic's and heads downstairs. I simply call the cops and report his illegally parked vehicle. My wife and I enter the restaurant, which wasn't at all busy, a few tables occupied upstairs and no open tables downstairs. The host eventually runs over and helps us to a table, it took a little longer than expected with just how empty it was upstairs, but I was forgiving and didn't mind. Now their A/C must have been having some issues or just the fact of sharing the same floor with the kitchen made it hot and muggy in the upstairs but nice and cool downstairs. The waiter towards the end of our meal, since we were the last guests upstairs, gave us a little explanation as to what was wrong with the A/C and that they were hoping to have it looked at soon. After we were seated it took our waiter quite some time to come by and take our drink orders, once again the wife and I were just enjoying a leisurely supper and in no hurry, so not the biggest of deals. As we were waiting, we got to listening to the other tables around us. One group, there for a birthday, had clearly been there for some time and where fairly vocal in their discomfort. The whole table gets up and walks out, one gentleman walks over to the waiter and speaks with him. Shortly after the table got outside, all of their food comes and the group comes back in to eat. not entirely sure what all the fuss was, but we had overheard someone saying that the table had been there for an hour and a half before getting their food. At this time our server returns with our drinks and says he will be right back to take our food orders. I will fast forward to when we eventually get our food, mind you it was about 45 minutes after we ordered that our food came out. We order the original Nic's burgers, nothing special. Now no new tables came in after us, everybody that came in after us went downstairs. Besides the long times in between ordering and when our drinks/food came, the food was very delicious. The burgers and fries were both hot and fresh. Neither one of us has had the burgers from the place on Penn Ave, so we couldn't compare, but as for burgers in OKC I would rank what we had among the top. Granted my top choices are La Baguette and Lip Smackers. By the time we were eating we were the last people upstairs. We witnessed some people come up and try to talk with Nic, which maybe be the reason for our order being late, we saw a few angry patrons come up to complain about there not being a reserved booth downstairs and how the service was slow, and some other things. Overall, my wife and I were hoping for a good experience and it was lackluster. The burgers were good, but the service and atmosphere were so poor we probably will go elsewhere. We hoped this was a fluke night, but reading through some of the other posts on here makes me think there are some blaring issues with the management.
    This review seems status quo from my last experience, with the exception that Mr. Nicholas was unwilling to speak to us about our miserable experience. The investors behind this must have deep pockets, because it should be closed at this point. I don't wish them ill will but it seems Nic is a stubborn guy who will go down with the ship instead of making some changes.

Default Re: Nic's Grill

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I’m gonna buy one. That said, IMO it’s not good that with the name recognition that place has that he has to resort to 50% off coupons.
    FWIW. Good call, though:
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/blog/ame...burger-joints/

Off topic I know but was here again sunday for lunch. I know its somewhere on here but I can't find it. what is going in across the street just north of Garage where that parking lot was. feel free to move this .. thanks!

Thank you!.. couldn't place it for the life of me!

New food truck

I've come back around on this place.

First of all, the downstairs bar area is one of the nicest in town. And either their beer prices have gone down a bit or I've stopped being shocked because now it seems worth the charge. And always a good selection with some nice rotating taps.

On my last of several recent visits, I had the original Nic's burger which was pretty darn good but also their onion rings were fantastic. Don't know if they are a new item, prepared differently now or I was just missing out before, but maybe the best I've had in town. (I've just been ordering while downstairs and they seem to have the full menu.)

It's not inexpensive but then again it's a very nice place with very good food. And I have to say I just don't want to go stand outside at the other place then be crammed into that tiny spot.

It's back in my regular rotation.

Blog Entries

I've noticed they are running some new radio spots just in the last week or so which says to me they are re-focused. We have not been in a long time, so I want to give it another try with an open mind and see how it goes. In those ads they are pushing the rings too!

Enjoyed the bar a few weeks back and forgot to comment about it. I'll give the food another whirl--thanks for the update.

16. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

FYI - at 8:20am THIS MORNING - The Sweet Deal is a $50 gift certificate for Nic's Place for only $25. These pop up from time to time and make a visit extremely affordable.....

Just sharing....

https://www.sweetdealscumulus.com/de...y/nics-place-5

The downstairs bar has been a regular in my rotation of lunch spots. I've always been a fan of the food and the service, and was honestly surprised to see so many negative reviews/comments here on OKCTalk. (I think, that If I would have read this post, before eating there...I probably never would have stepped foot in the place.) But just wanted to post up, that they just changed their menu this week, and there are quite a few new offerings. (Some VERY tastey pizzas I might add.)

I love this place and need to get back there soon.

I have noticed this week, a strong social media push for this place. Honestly I forgot about it until I saw the ads scrolling through FB.

I am in the basement either Saturday or sunday each week. its my favorite weekend breakfast spot. This week got there too early on sunday for the basement and ate upstairs. the past month my only issue has been they evidently ( according to staff ) lost the lid to the basement Coffee Carafe so getting refills of coffee takes a while because they have to run upstairs. I have seriously considered having a Coffee carafe amazoned to them because I need my coffee and love this place.

21. Default Re: Nic's Diner + Lounge

I've eaten here a number of times but never made it downstairs. I finally had lunch down there and now I can see where all the hype is coming from. It is amazing down there!

Thread Information