Widgets Magazine

Thread: dairy boy drive in

Default dairy boy drive in

looking for dairy boy on n. may in oklahoma city in the 50's

Default Re: dairy boy drive in

Welcome to the site!

Found a couple of old ads. The one location was at 9350 N. May, which would be just north of Britton on the east side of May:

Looks like there is an original location in Minco:

Here's an article from the Oklahoman:

Dairy Boy lives on in Minco | News OK

I thought I had seen that before. Pass by it heading south on Hwy 81 to hook up with Hwy 152 west.

the building at 1001 S Penn is still standing

7. Default Re: dairy boy drive in

There was one at NW 36th & Walker, 100 feet west of walker on 36th on the north side of the street. It has been torn down and the lot is still vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    There was one at NW 36th & Walker, 100 feet west of walker on 36th on the north side of the street. It has been torn down and the lot is still vacant.
    Is that where the Pagoda Chinese restaurant used to be?

When I was a kid growing up in the mid sixties it was called McMahans Drive in. There was no in-door seating nor was there car service. You had to go to the window to order. Don't recall it ever being a Chinese restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Is that where the Pagoda Chinese restaurant used to be?

10. Default Re: dairy boy drive in

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here's an article from the Oklahoman:

Dairy Boy lives on in Minco | News OK
    Looks like an excellent reason for a motorcycle ride in that direction. Wish I had stopped at the one in Okemah when I rode out there a few months ago,

that is the Old Dairy boy building in Minco.. sadly they took that one down and built a new bigger metal building but the dairy boy is still there.. about 3 blocks from my moms house.. great burgers!

There is a dairy Mart in Union City just north of Minco on 81.. still origional building. the family family who owned it ( may still own it ) was the same family as the dairy boy in minco.. Minco Dairy boy is their son.

Quote Originally Posted by harp23 View Post
    When I was a kid growing up in the mid sixties it was called McMahans Drive in. There was no in-door seating nor was there car service. You had to go to the window to order. Don't recall it ever being a Chinese restaurant.
    Yep and they had excellent hamburgers as well as fresh hand cut fries....
    It was a Chinese restaurant afterwards,

Dairy Boy in Minco is great. The burgers are tasty and just the slightest bit greasy, just like a good one ought to be. The "new " place is several years old now and just south of the middle of town. on US 81.

dairy boy was before my time, but i'm pretty sure that the original los tacos just west of 44th and blackwelder was in a former dairy boy... or some reasonable facsimile. -M

Los Taco's was a Triple AAA Root Beer place before, there was a Dairy Boy south of 44th on Penn.

ahh... ok. i'll say that the structure was nearly identical (at least in my memory) to the one in the 2nd image on post #2. -M

ahhhhh Los Tacos!

There was a Dairy Boy on NW 89th Street, just west of N. Western. It was a regular lunch place for kids going to John Marshall H.S. Also, there was another Diary Boy on N. Western where it forks just south of Wilshire. When I was growing up you could get a "burger basket" (burger and fries) for 50 cents.

RE: Dairy Boy in Minco. Have eaten burgers from there many times, but more memorable was walking to it and getting a ten cent vanilla cone on occasional hot summer afternoons in the '60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Looks like there is an original location in Minco:

This is (was) in Lexington OK, not Minco. It has been demolished since this photo was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    This is (was) in Lexington OK, not Minco. It has been demolished since this photo was taken.
    Sancho,
    I think you may be right however go to google maps and enter "Dairy Boy Minco Ok" and you will find it. Pete was right with the wrong picture.
    C. T.

The original Dairy Boy building in Minco looked a lot like the photo, awnings with a flat roof structure. The building itself was probably smaller. There was an order window on the front, no entrance. I believe the present owners built a complete new building on the same site.

Thread Information