Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Eleven

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: 7 Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    and here comes QT
    From your post to God's ears!

I would just be ok with the Slurpees being sold here -.- Maybe they are now, I haven't been in a 7-11 in a while. But for a long time, they never were sold here.

Blog Entries

7-Eleven Inc. announces acquisition of 7-Eleven Stores in central Oklahoma

Irving, Texas-based 7-Eleven Inc. announced Friday it is acquiring a chain of more than 100, locally-owned 7 Eleven Stores in central Oklahoma that operated independently for 67 years.

Hilarious that OKCTalk and TLO got the news out 8 days before the Joklahoman did (saw it on their "Breaking News" chyron this morning when I got into Lackmeyer's chat and I just rolled my eyes). Maybe it was on their site before somewhere, though, I don't read the Joklahoman, and also maybe they had to wait until it was official, but it's still one more fail from them.

The Oklahoman picked up the story off a press release.

This whole situation reminds me so much of Blockbuster vs. Netflix.

Blockbuster had a monopoly for a while and completely abused their customers with late fees... Then Netflix came along and first started doing it by mail (a better way, with no late fees) and then Blockbuster tried to match them but by then almost everyone had moved on to Netflix and many would never give Blockbuster another dime. It didn't take long for Blockbuster to completely collapse, not very long after having thousands of locations and a firm grip on that market. And of course, Netflix became an absolute force.

So, here we are again. 7-Eleven abused their monopoly for so long in OKC that many will go out of their way to now give business to OnCue. And if QT comes to town.... Fahgettaboudit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The Oklahoman picked up the story off a press release.
    Figured as much, presumably this same one, lol....

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...80#post1101980

Blog Entries

Just how much of an upgrade with new stores will 7 Eleven invest in the Oklahoma City market remains to be seen.

The time (IMO) is ripe for QT to enter the OKC area.

Recently opened larger 7 Eleven store at Rockwell & west Reno is a nice store. They do have a concern with vagrants hanging out because there are numerous outdoor tent squatters in that area across the street near the creek on Rockwell.

The QT stores in Tulsa are really nice & clean; although I've only been to 2 QTs in Tulsa, haven't seen armed security in their stores. As for 7 Eleven, you often wonder what's up when you see armed security in some stores after 10 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This whole situation reminds me so much of Blockbuster vs. Netflix.

Blockbuster had a monopoly for a while and completely abused their customers with late fees... Then Netflix came along and first started doing it by mail (a better way, with no late fees) and then Blockbuster tried to match them but by then almost everyone had moved on to Netflix and many would never give Blockbuster another dime. It didn't take long for Blockbuster to completely collapse, not very long after having thousands of locations and a firm grip on that market. And of course, Netflix became an absolute force.

So, here we are again. 7-Eleven abused their monopoly for so long in OKC that many will go out of their way to now give business to OnCue. And if QT comes to town.... Fahgettaboudit.
    Was just going to say, I would have to imagine that 7-Eleven corporate is going to outright close a significant percentage of these stores. A lot of them can still remain relevant once they're remodeled, but I can't imagine locations like NW 59th & May or NW 36th & Penn are long for this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

The QT stores in Tulsa are really nice & clean; although I've only been to 2 QTs in Tulsa, haven't seen armed security in their stores. As for 7 Eleven, you often wonder what's up when you see armed security in some stores after 10 p.m.
    Visit Tulsa more often and you will find plenty of dumpy QTs. Just depends on the area, like anything else.

Even the lowest QTs are nicer than your average 7/11, circle k's, shells, and what have you.

Blog Entries

In many ways, this reminds me of the Sams Costco remarks. Well, Costco isn’t driving out Sams, and the newer Sams are fully as nice as Costco and remain very busy. The new 7-11s here are nice, and absolutely competitive. The small footprint older landlocked ones will probably be killled off. But all with strategic location will still work.

Btw, I’ve been to a number of older QTs that aren’t so swell either. Comparing old 7-11 to new QT isn’t apples to apples. New 7-11 is better than old QT. Both have evolved and you certainly expect newer to be more market sensitive.

The biggest cause of the OKC 7-Eleven's downfall, IMO, is just that they were way too slow to upgrade a lot of their stores. The one on the SW corner of Robinson & Flood in Norman is a perfect example. That store sits on a prime location in one of the heaviest trafficked intersections in the area, it was outdated from the moment it was built, and they never bothered to try and make improvements.

As long as 7-11 does not offer Top Tier gas I will not patronize any of their locations. Gas quality is where I stop for fuel.

I wonder if the corporate HQ for 7 Eleven stores will ship change gas suppliers in OKC area and go national? Down in DFW area their gas suppliers are Mobil/Exon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    As long as 7-11 does not offer Top Tier gas I will not patronize any of their locations. Gas quality is where I stop for fuel.
    Agree, I have fueled up at OnCue exclusively for a couple of years now because of this.

Taking a step back, and I see this as an incredible American success story.

A man who helps start a new business concept leaves happy and is the only person to get his own territory. Their company winds up being the largest convenience store chain on earth, with over 9,000 locations. The OKC stores are the only family owned locations. From about 1955, the Brown family assembles about 150 real estate parcels, and 110 operating 7-11 stores. I'm guessing they are debt-free.

I think a conservative guess of the raw dirt value of their real estate is over $100 million. Add in the structure value and enterprise value, and I'm gonna guess this service company built by Okies, for Okies is a half-billion dollar enterprise. Family owned, debt free.

Let me get crazy and mention Sylvan Goldman inventing the shopping cart, which begat the modern grocery store; Tom & Judy Love creating Love's Country Stores and Travel Stops, etc., and it no exaggeration to claim that Oklahoma City is the birthplace of American consumer commodity convenience.

nm

One thing that can definitely be said is that these 7-11s are definitely unique and an OKC staple.

With that said, the writing was on the wall once OnCue started blanketing the metro with locations. Here in Arizona, QT is doing the same thing to Circle K.

Blog Entries

Who supplies local 7-11 their gasoline and why are they considered subpar? I’ve used their gas for years and never have seen any difference from that I’ve purchased elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Who supplies local 7-11 their gasoline and why are they considered subpar? I’ve used their gas for years and never have seen any difference from that I’ve purchased elsewhere.
    It is not so much a "who" as a "what". Google the term "Top Tier Gas" and you will find why myself and others prefer fuel with this designation. 7-11 does not offer this product.

I wonder if this means we might be able to get a 7/11 downtown or somewhere nearby in an urban storefront model

23. Default Re: 7 Eleven

It is not so much a "who" as a "what". Google the term "Top Tier Gas" and you will find why myself and others prefer fuel with this designation. 7-11 does not offer this product.
    And most of the time OnCue's gas is only a penny higher than the gas that 7-11 sells.

Just wish OnCue would start accepting payment using the Phillip's 66 app so I could save another $0.15 to $0.25 a gallon on it instead of just $0.05 for using the gas card.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    And most of the time OnCue's gas is only a penny higher than the gas that 7-11 sells.

Just wish OnCue would start accepting payment using the Phillip's 66 app so I could save another $0.15 to $0.25 a gallon on it instead of just $0.05 for using the gas card.
    Thanks for the heads up on the phillips 66 app, when the time comes.

Blog Entries

So, OnCue is not listed as Top Tier, but Phillips is. So WHO supplies is important. Who supplies what to 7-11? How about Sams?

Thread Information