Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Eleven

Default Re: 7 Eleven

I have been pretty well impressed with the coffee at 7-11 for the last number of years, not sure how long, but they sold a very good quality Columbian and Dark coffee.

I don't care for Starbucks coffee, and for 7-11 to sell a really good cup of coffee for a buck just tickled me.

I hope the new 7-11 bunch does not change the coffee. That's pretty much the only reason I have been in 7-11, it's been dependable and good.

They've taken out the magazine racks. And the store I was in this evening had big poster signs in the windows. So much for being able to see inside before you venture in. I'm sure the cops are thrilled.

Anyone know where I can find future expansion plans?

If I had to bet, I would say 7-Eleven has plans in Tulsa. They seem to franchise quicker than other C-Stores.

Hopefully we will see QT in the OKC metro in the next decade too.

Blog Entries

QT could be here tomorrow if they'd just buy OnCue.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    QT could be here tomorrow if they'd just buy OnCue.
    While I think the transition wouldn't be too bad/hard. I like oncue, and hope they stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    While I think the transition wouldn't be too bad/hard. I like oncue, and hope they stick around.
    But it takes a seller wanting to sell and a buyer wanting to buy. I don’t know the financial details but I think oncue has some funding from Phillips 66 helping so they are in no need to sell out. They are doing quite well

Agree with this, I think OnCue has basically perfected the QT model and they continue to make improvements as they open more locations. The last few that they've opened have an excellent, affordable frozen nitro cold brew station which was pretty much the one remaining product that I was hoping they'd eventually offer.

OnCue is operated by CEO Jim Griffith, who purchased the C-Store chain from his dad (Jack) in 1995. In his 25 years, OnCue has expanded aggressively into OKC with top of market C-Stores and also recently expanded to Houston. Griffith graduated from OSU in 1975, so he is probably mid-sixties in age. The chain is still HQ out of Stillwater and in addition to the metro stores we are most familiar with, they still operate smaller c-stores in towns across central Oklahoma. They are a family company, and similar to QT passing from Chester Cadieux to his son Chet. I would imagine OnCue would go from Jim Griffith to his daughter Laura, who is already a part of the business.

As with anything, I would imagine the company is always for sale, if the price is right.

While OnCue stores are similar to QT, it would be hard for QuikTrip not to come in and build their own stores. They are meticulous on carbon copy design for each of their stores to make sure their guests know where everything can be found and build efficiencies for their team members who can easily shift from store to store. Traveling to Des Monies, Dallas, Wichita, and Kansas City, QuikTrip stores look exactly the same inside and out down to the order of flavors at the fountain drinks. This has been reinforced even more with their current Gen3 store design.

It wouldn't be out of question for QT and OnCue to compete in OKC. QuikTrip goes head to head with other stores in their league in their other markets. (Kum and Go in Tulsa, RaceTrac in Dallas and Atlanta) There is even a QT across the highway from a Bucee's near Texas Speedway. They have an entire team dedicated to store placement and are scary good at predicting traffic patterns and store success.

I’d love to see a Kum and Go in OKC just because those signs are so f@cking funny to look at.

Regarding OnCue I much prefer the new OnCues over QT. Am I alone on that? They really knocked it out of the park. I believe OnCue is expanding outside Oklahoma now.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’d love to see a Kum and Go in OKC just because those signs are so f@cking funny to look at.

Regarding OnCue I much prefer the new OnCues over QT. Am I alone on that? They really knocked it out of the park. I believe OnCue is expanding outside Oklahoma now.
    I prefer QT, but to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    I prefer QT, but to each their own.
    To clarify I’m referring to the new OnCues but QTs are still very nice. I’d love for QT and a few Bucees to come the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    To clarify I’m referring to the new OnCues but QTs are still very nice. I’d love for QT and a few Bucees to come the metro.
    If your a Buc-ee's fan you're in luck. Not publicly announced yet but property has been purchased at I-35 and Highway 9 for the the first Oklahoma
    Buc-ee's.

Blog Entries

Anyone know where I can find future expansion plans?

If I had to bet, I would say 7-Eleven has plans in Tulsa. They seem to franchise quicker than other C-Stores.

Hopefully we will see QT in the OKC metro in the next decade too.
    QT is currently building out new markets with hundreds of stores open/planned in the Carolinas and San Antonio/Austin. Denver is up next starting later this year with 50-70 stores planned.

https://csnews.com/quiktrip-closes-entry-denver-market

The two top rated c-store chains nationally are QT and WaWa based in Philly and they are starting to encroach on each others markets.

Holy sh!t. That is insane but good for QT!

Wawa's are incredible. They have a coastal vibe to them though and I am unsure whether they would work here.

I need to take a drive south across the Red River and see a Buc-ee's. I feel the need to take a day and just drive.

Might just do that soon.

17. Default Re: 7 Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    I need to take a drive south across the Red River and see a Buc-ee's. I feel the need to take a day and just drive.

Might just do that soon.
    I've known a few people who have done just that. There's one in Denton only about 3-4 miles past the I-35E/W split (on the I-35E side). So, that's only about 2.5 - 3 hours one way. Not bad for a day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post

Might just do that soon.
    Today definitely wouldn't be the day!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I've known a few people who have done just that. There's one in Denton only about 3-4 miles past the I-35E/W split (on the I-35E side). So, that's only about 2.5 - 3 hours one way. Not bad for a day trip.
    I was just at that Buc-ee's back in November, but it's actually a little further from Denton. Its just south of the Race Track (Tx Motor Speedway). So 10 to 12 miles south of the I-35 split.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    I was just at that Buc-ee's back in November, but it's actually a little further from Denton. Its just south of the Race Track (Tx Motor Speedway). So 10 to 12 miles south of the I-35 split.
    that is not the one he is talking about there is one 4 miles down 35E (past the split) that is giant and fairly new ..

Yeah I'm referring to the one actually in the Denton on the I-35 East.

Dallas now has the worlds largest sporting good store, a Scheels, and I want to see it. It's actually in The Colony.

They're closed now to the public, due to the covidcrap, but the US Treasury has a Bureau of Printing plant in far north Fort Worth, just of the west side of I-35. It's probably close to the other Buc-ee's mentioned above in Fort Worth.
    You have to reserve a tour in advance, and you get to see where the cash money is printed. Most folks have no idea it's there, they don't publicize it.

Well I kinda derailed the 7-11 thread, we should have a thread for Things To Do In The DFW area.

Wawa's are incredible. They have a coastal vibe to them though and I am unsure whether they would work here.
    I was born and raised in NJ. I'm curious as to the meaning of a convenience store having a "coastal vibe" and why that "vibe" would not work outside of that area?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I was born and raised in NJ. I'm curious as to the meaning of a convenience store having a "coastal vibe" and why that "vibe" would not work outside of that area?
    Many, if not most locations don't sell gas, and do have Cheesesteaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Many, if not most locations don't sell gas, and do have Cheesesteaks?
    No, most if not all sell gas. Some sell diesel as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    No, most if not all sell gas. Some sell diesel as well.
    Yes, some WaWas are even Truck Stop style stores. But WaWa has many urban locations without fuel. I've been to WaWas in the DC and Philly areas and most locations do not have gas. Probably 3/4ths don't. Almost none in the cities.

Thread Information