Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Eleven

Default Re: 7 Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just took out a series of building permits to construct a new store on the SE corner of Rockwell and Memorial / Turnpike.

I'm sure it will be one of their new-style concepts.
    Does it usually take 6 months to get a building permit finalized. This one is still in review and nothing is happening yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    Does it usually take 6 months to get a building permit finalized. This one is still in review and nothing is happening yet.
    It's not unusual.

What typically happens is the application is made, then the city comes back to them with a ton of requests for more info and/or changes. Then, the ball is back in the court of the applicant and on it goes until everything is finalized.

Things usually drag out when the applicant isn't in any hurry.

They are moving some utilities around near the intersection of Memorial & Rockwell. May be in preparation for this store and turning lanes.

It's not unusual.

What typically happens is the application is made, then the city comes back to them with a ton of requests for more info and/or changes. Then, the ball is back in the court of the applicant and on it goes until everything is finalized.

Things usually drag out when the applicant isn't in any hurry.
    Believe me, they can drag out when the applicant IS in a hurry.

I think it's almost a challenge for the city, particularly when an applicant thinks they've thought of everything, to find something wrong.

One time I tried to purchase condoms at the local 7 11, but the employees told me they don't sell them due to some ownership religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    One time I tried to purchase condoms at the local 7 11, but the employees told me they don't sell them due to some ownership religious beliefs.
    Sadly, it's true. It's also only the 7/11's in OK(C?). They also don't sell lottery tickets for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Sadly, it's true. It's also only the 7/11's in OK(C?). They also don't sell lottery tickets for that reason.
    But cigarettes they have no problem with.

But cigarettes they have no problem with.
    Let's not get TOO crazy here.

Actually, if you do some research, 7-11 doesn't sell lottery tickets because of the amount of cash they would have to have available to pay the winners of small amounts. The lottery regulations required a minimum (I don't remember the actual dollar amount) amount and it was more than they allowed there stores to keep in the register. Their policy had to do with robberies.
    C. T.

That was my understanding, the ability to pay out prizes Was the deciding factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Actually, if you do some research, 7-11 doesn't sell lottery tickets because of the amount of cash they would have to have available to pay the winners of small amounts. The lottery regulations required a minimum (I don't remember the actual dollar amount) amount and it was more than they allowed there stores to keep in the register. Their policy had to do with robberies.
    C. T.
    That's what I remember reading when lottery came out. The cash on hand minimum was $600 at the time.

7-Eleven boots liquor store tenants

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 10, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Liquor store owners neighboring 7-Eleven convenience stores are searching for new locations.

The Oklahoma City-based 7-Eleven is not renewing the leases of the adjacent stores, liquor store owners said. The change comes as an overhaul of the state’s liquor laws is on the horizon.

On Oct. 1, convenience stores will be able to sell cold high-point beer and wine. Those retailers can only sell cold low-point beer now.

That makes the neighboring liquor store a competitor because the liquor stores will also be able to sell cold high-point beer. Liquor stores will also be able to sell non-alcohol items, such as soft drinks and cigarettes. However, those non-alcohol item sales cannot be more than 25 percent of the store’s total sales.

“At 7-Eleven Stores in Oklahoma, we regularly review our real estate portfolio to make decisions we feel best serve the long-term interests of our company and of our loyal customers,” 7-Eleven Stores President and CEO Jim Brown said in a statement emailed to The Journal Record.

Norman’s Discount Liquor owner Nick Mettry said he wasn’t surprised about the change in his lease with 7-Eleven. He opened his store in October 2008 and had always had it in the back of his mind that the laws would likely change.

“I’ve kind of been planning and have kept it in my back pocket,” he said. “I knew at some point there would be a big enough lobby and enough money that a big business would sway public opinion and change the law.”

His store was on E. Constitution in Norman. He’ll be moving across the street to 2627 S. Classen, Suite 112 and 116. He’ll have about 700 square feet more space than he has now. He expects to be in the new place in a few months.

He said it will eventually be a blessing in disguise. He gets to design his new store with a plan to bring in refrigerators. He won’t install them until this summer, though, in case something changes during the legislative session.

Also in Norman, Lam’s Liquor, previously next to the 7-Eleven on 12th Avenue NE, filed a change of location application to 12121 S. Western Avenue in Oklahoma City. But a web search showed the business was permanently closed, and no one answered the phone when the store was contacted.

In Moore, BJ’s Liquor, previously on SW 19th Street, is moving to 2007 S. Santa Fe Ave. Owner Khaja Sid said he has to be out by September. He said he will be in the new location by the end of January.

“My new place is a little bigger,” he said. “I feel sorry for people who cannot make the move. You don’t know what business will be like once you get to the new location.”

He said he tried to stay in the area where he already has a customer base. He’s expecting to drop his prices on beer and wine in order to stay competitive with 7-Eleven and other larger retailers, but he’ll have to increase his price on liquor.

He wasn’t too happy about the 25-percent cap on non-liquor sales. He said it doesn’t create an equal market.

Brings up something interesting - how is the "not more than 25% of non-liquor item sales" tracked? Will liquor stores be audited, will they put a daily/weekly/monthly cap on non-liquor items, or .....? I can just imagine someone going in and getting some alcohol, cups, mixers and then getting to the cash register and being told they can only buy the booze due to the 25% cap.

I understand the unequal market objection, but do people really go to liquor stores looking for gum and razors? I mean...it's a LIQUOR store. I can see things like soda (mix with the alcohol), and MAYBE the cigarettes (two vices in one transaction), but is this really that terrible a burden?

And if the percentage is based on $ and not items, it shouldn't be that hard to stay below that limit. Being prohibited from entering if you have kids with you will also help in keeping that percentage a bit lower I think.

Maybe this will get 7/11 to expand their stores to the new prototype faster now that they will have the space next door in many locations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Brings up something interesting - how is the "not more than 25% of non-liquor item sales" tracked? Will liquor stores be audited, will they put a daily/weekly/monthly cap on non-liquor items, or .....? I can just imagine someone going in and getting some alcohol, cups, mixers and then getting to the cash register and being told they can only buy the booze due to the 25% cap.
    It's such a dumb caveat. It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    I understand the unequal market objection, but do people really go to liquor stores looking for gum and razors? I mean...it's a LIQUOR store. I can see things like soda (mix with the alcohol), and MAYBE the cigarettes (two vices in one transaction), but is this really that terrible a burden?
    No but people going to liquor stores would use the option to put gas in their cars at the same time they are getting mixers, ice, smokes and the like. If they need to get gas and have to go to On Cue they will more than likely get all those other articles there at the same time. It is creating an unequal playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    No but people going to liquor stores would use the option to put gas in their cars at the same time they are getting mixers, ice, smokes and the like. If they need to get gas and have to go to On Cue they will more than likely get all those other articles there at the same time. It is creating an unequal playing field.
    I dunno. I can only speak for myself here, but mixers wise, it highly depends on price for me. If the liquor store has ice, mixers, cups, snacks, etc, for the same price or only a very small additional markup vs a convenience store, I'm going to buy everything in one transaction at the liquor store. That's far, far more convenient for me even if I still need to go to OnCue for gas.

I wonder if the new laws will clear the way for places like Beverages & More?

I *loved* that chain when I was in California and they carried absolutely everything including craft beer, every type of liquor you could imagine, all types of wine and all the mixers and just about everything else you would need for entertaining... All at great prices.

I *loved* that chain when I was in California and they carried absolutely everything including craft beer, every type of liquor you could imagine, all types of wine and all the mixers and just about everything else you would need for entertaining... All at great prices.
    It's been a while since I read the new laws, but it seems like ownership is still going to be a bit sticky for liquor stores, and I seem to remember some of the law reading as if it would make a BevMo or the like very difficult to enter the market, as it is today. I'd love it, too, but I doubt it happens any time soon.

I seem to remember that with the liquor law changes, any person can own a maximum of two licenses (up from the current limit of 1). I think the changes would allow for an analogue of something like Total Beverage (an awesome liquor store with two locations near my parents' place) in the Denver suburbs, but not much past that.

Or like a Spec’s, out of Houston. That would be my go-to if they were able to enter this market.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Or like a Spec’s, out of Houston. That would be my go-to if they were able to enter this market.
    Specs is incredible.

Specs is fantastic, but I would bet some of their locations (the one in north Austin I have frequented) would be closing in on that 25% cap.

I'm all for opening up these laws but come on, let's really open things up. Let the liquor stores open on Sundays and holidays (which we're getting a county by county vote on that, right?) let people under 21 into stores (it's ridiculous I can't take my 3 and 1 year old into the liquor store with me) and let them stay open past 9 pm.

Thread Information