Widgets Magazine
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 252627282930

Thread: 7 Eleven

Default Re: 7 Eleven

Wife wanted a Coke Slurpee today after I told her you could get a free one. 1st 7-11 I go to Coke flavor not working along with about 1/2 the other flavors they had. Went to another 7-11 and Coke not working there either.

The new I-240 and Western store looks like it's coming along pretty quickly. I don't think it'll be too much longer before it's finished and open - couple of weeks, maybe, by the look of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    When Corporate 7-11 bought all the stores from the Browns and took over the market here. They were actually ICEE brand with the red/blue cup and polar bear when 7-11 first had them in the 70's. Then they switched to their own brand. Don't remember when exactly they did that.
    This makes me think that the Brown's actually were the first with that type beverage. And corporate took the concept and gave it their name. Which, I was told, was the agreement with the OKC stores and corporate since the beginning. OKC and corporate would have a slight difference in products or concepts that were shared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    This makes me think that the Brown's actually were the first with that type beverage. And corporate took the concept and gave it their name. Which, I was told, was the agreement with the OKC stores and corporate since the beginning. OKC and corporate would have a slight difference in products or concepts that were shared.
    Actually there is slurpee, Icee and ICY Drink. Oklahoma was ICY Drinks Here are some articles:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slurpee
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/busi...a/60368798007/

I worked a Brown's 7-Eleven for awhile. The pay and benefits were very good actually for a unskilled position.

They had a DVD rental division called MovieQuik. It was only discontinued shortly after Bill Brown passed away. A lot of people may laugh at the absurd notion to sell DVD rentals in 2017 with Netflix in its golden years, but it surprisingly made quite a bit of money. There were people in there every day for a another movie.

There were people who had over $20 in late fees and still paid it off and rented for another one.

It just interested me. In an age where Blockbuster has been gone for over a century, a convenience store decided having a movie rental option remained a benefit for their company. The only thing different from a Blockbuster and a 7-Eleven are money orders and gas pumps if you think about it.

I had 2 MovieQuik cards because they were specific to each 7-11 store and used them a lot. You got the case off the shelf and they kept the actual DVD behind the counter. I probably still have them somewhere.

7. Default Re: 7 Eleven

Well there you go. Icy! Icee! Slurpee!

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    I worked a Brown's 7-Eleven for awhile. The pay and benefits were very good actually for a unskilled position.

They had a DVD rental division called MovieQuik. It was only discontinued shortly after Bill Brown passed away. A lot of people may laugh at the absurd notion to sell DVD rentals in 2017 with Netflix in its golden years, but it surprisingly made quite a bit of money. There were people in there every day for a another movie.

There were people who had over $20 in late fees and still paid it off and rented for another one.

It just interested me. In an age where Blockbuster has been gone for over a century, a convenience store decided having a movie rental option remained a benefit for their company. The only thing different from a Blockbuster and a 7-Eleven are money orders and gas pumps if you think about it.
    I think you meant Blockbuster (the chain) has been gone for a decade, not century

Redbox is still popular with a certain segment of the population. When digital movie RENTALS are sometimes $6-7, or even $20 for a new release/going out at theatres, and DVD rentals are $2, it's an easy pick, especially if you are already there getting gas and other services. Tangible media still serves a purpose, especially as streaming companies raise prices, and split offerings between all of the different services.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I think you meant Blockbuster (the chain) has been gone for a decade, not century

Redbox is still popular with a certain segment of the population. When digital movie RENTALS are sometimes $6-7, or even $20 for a new release/going out at theatres, and DVD rentals are $2, it's an easy pick, especially if you are already there getting gas and other services. Tangible media still serves a purpose, especially as streaming companies raise prices, and split offerings between all of the different services.
    Yeah that's what I meant.

It was a good business decision anyway.

Any updates on the 7/11 going in at SW 15th and Council? There's a bulldozer parked there now, so I was wondering if they were getting ready to move on that one. I just can't grasp the reasoning behind building one there when there's one a mile up the road at 29th and Council

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The location at SW 15th & Council looks to have accommodation for trucks:

It looks like work has started on this location as they're beginning dirt work

One of the last remaining 7-11 stores without gas pumps — NW 59th and May — is closing. It might already be closed, when I was in they had very little merchandise left. It’s been there just a few days short of forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    One of the last remaining 7-11 stores without gas pumps — NW 59th and May — is closing. It might already be closed, when I was in they had very little merchandise left. It’s been there just a few days short of forever.
    Thanks for the info.

That one doesn't even have frontage on May or much exposure at all; a relic of the days when 7-Eleven was just throwing up stores everywhere. There was one like that near where I grew up on 63rd to the east of MacArthur. Tiny, no gas pumps, crowded, jumbled... But to a kid it was like heaven on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks for the info.

That one doesn't even have frontage on May or much exposure at all; a relic of the days when 7-Eleven was just throwing up stores everywhere. There was one like that near where I grew up on 63rd to the east of MacArthur. Tiny, no gas pumps, crowded, jumbled... But to a kid it was like heaven on earth.
    Yes, and I'll bet the neighborhood appreciated having a 7-11 that wasn't fronted on a main street, for walkability. My parents used to let my sisters drive us up there after they first got their licenses because they could get there without driving on any main streets.

Now, every time I'm over there, it's pretty much an encampment for the homeless folks.

I was told they were going to be closing all locations that they pay rent at/don't own. Not sure how many of those are left. Possible locations that come to mind are 46th/Western and 31st/Classen.

16. Default Re: 7 Eleven

7-11 has gone downhill since the Brown Family sold to the Japanese corporate owners. With the expansion of OnCue and now Quick Trip they are falling behind. I have noticed that the employees are no longer happy and seem to really not care what happens to the stores. A lot of them are in decline..

Can you imagine how incredibly hard it must be to find employees to work at a 7-Eleven?

I was recently inside one near Loyd Noble in Norman (only thing around there other than a Sonic) and was shocked at the state of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryOKC6 View Post
    7-11 has gone downhill since the Brown Family sold to the Japanese corporate owners. With the expansion of OnCue and now Quick Trip they are falling behind. I have noticed that the employees are no longer happy and seem to really not care what happens to the stores. A lot of them are in decline..
    The one at May and Wilshire-ish has a good crew and is usually in pretty good order. They're the only exception to my rule to not stop at 7-11.

A 7-Eleven building permit application has been filed for the NE corner of SW 59th & Mustand Rd.

Thread Information