Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 Eleven

Default Re: 7 Eleven

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Yes, some WaWas are even Truck Stop style stores. But WaWa has many urban locations without fuel. I've been to WaWas in the DC and Philly areas and most locations do not have gas. Probably 3/4ths don't. Almost none in the cities.
    Because i come from the land of Taylor Ham my experiences with WAWA are not the same. So i decided to check with their website and found the following info.
    https://www.wawa.com/about#:~:text=A...ngton%2C%20D.C.

A chain of more than 850 convenience retail stores (over 600 offering gasoline), Wawa stores are located in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C. The stores offer a large fresh food service selection, including Wawa brands such as built-to-order hoagies , freshly brewed coffee , hot breakfast sandwiches , built-to-order specialty beverages , and an assortment of soups, sides and snacks .

So that appears to be at least 2/3 sells gas. i still don't know what that "coastal vibe" is all about. Does that mean QT has a midwest/southern plains vibe? Only floyd knows.

Looks like they are moving towards building a new location on the SW corner of Reno and Meridian; this was the old Hungry Peddlar/Texanna Red's site:

That's a good location for one. I just drove by there the other day and thought about how something needs to be developed there

7-11 has filed building permits for a new location on the NW corner of NW 10th and MacArthur.

Note the floorplan where there is inside seating but at the front of the store, not near the embedded Laredo Taco. Do any of their current stores have this or is this something new due to the corporate ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    7-11 has filed building permits for a new location on the NW corner of NW 10th and MacArthur.

Note the floorplan where there is inside seating but at the front of the store, not near the embedded Laredo Taco. Do any of their current stores have this or is this something new due to the corporate ownership?

I have seen this floor plan at a few stores in South Texas. One of the stores was a Stripes which 7-11 owns and where they got the Laredo Taco brand from.
    Looks out of place here but didn't in the store as the floor plan is small. If I remember correctly, that is the coffee station directly next to the sitting area. There is also a back door entrance by the bathrooms that is open to public allowing you to park behind the store. (That is what made me recognize the floor plan)

They seem to be going 'all in' on the taco company.

Strange choice to me. Mexican food is an over saturated market. If I wanted a taco, I could think of a dozen other places I would go to before a convenience chain.

I quite liked the slice pizzas they had at their Capital City stores. Don't know if these new 7-Elevens offer that option.

This is interesting...

A relatively new 7-11 on the northwest corner of Hefner and May is going to get a big interior remodel.

The top image shows the current layout; the bottom the new one with a much bigger kitchen.

Unless part of their remodel is a plan to keep the place clean, it won't matter. That location is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Unless part of their remodel is a plan to keep the place clean, it won't matter. That location is a mess.
    I live near there and stop in occasionally. I have never once left having any thoughts about it being messy.

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I live near there and stop in occasionally. I have never once left having any thoughts about it being messy.
    Never? I live a few blocks away and have basically stopped going in because it's almost always such a wet, sticky mess. Boxes in the aisles, drink area messy, etc. Not a problem, though, I just go to OnCue now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    Been there quite a bit and it’s been just fine. No more messy than the OnCue there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Been there quite a bit and it’s been just fine. No more messy than the OnCue there.
    Again, that hasn't been my experience, but that's ok. I haven't been in much since OnCue moved in, so maybe it's my bad luck. And since Covid and getting injured, I haven't been inside either in many, many months.

I read the FTC is mandating 7-Eleven sells 200 of its stores after the Speedway acquisition.

Won't affect us here. Speedway was a Midwestern chain. However I found it interesting.

7-Eleven is the McDonald's of convenience stores. Happy to help the underdog.

Glad the FTC is actually doing something to prevent monopolies. Speaking of Speedway I’ve never in my life seen as many of the same stores as the amount of Speedways along RT 66 in Gallup.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    I read the FTC is mandating 7-Eleven sells 200 of its stores after the Speedway acquisition.

Won't affect us here. Speedway was a Midwestern chain. However I found it interesting.

I think it could absolutely affect us here. 7-Eleven may decide to sell off 200 older and less profitable existing stores so they can keep all the new Speedway stores they just bought. In fact, I would think this OKC acquisition might be exactly a group of stores they would be willing to part with.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post

you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLucky View Post
    I think it could absolutely affect us here. 7-Eleven may decide to sell off 200 older and less profitable existing stores so they can keep all the new Speedway stores they just bought. In fact, I would think this OKC acquisition might be exactly a group of stores they would be willing to part with.
    we didn't have speedway in Oklahoma so there was not an issue here ..

they have to sell 293 stores .... and the deals are already made ... does not effect Oklahoma ..

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...owing-7-eleven

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    you are correct

we didn't have speedway in Oklahoma so there was not an issue here ..

they have to sell 293 stores .... and the deals are already made ... does not effect Oklahoma ..

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...owing-7-eleven
    Ah, that makes sense.

What are the odds they consider demoing and rebuilding the Western and 46th location and creating a more urban layout? If that could be done by 2030, that would be great for the district.

To wit: that 7-11 has a healthy chunk of pedestrians from around the area and if they reoriented the building to the corner and the pumps just back and mid block and maybe worked with Stella Nova to knock down the fence and share that sliver of land it probably works out well for everyone.

Probably like 5% odds, but hey, a man can dream.

Aside from the taco shops, am I the only one not impressed with 7 Eleven after corporate took over? Firstly, they no longer sell canned pop. That's not a big deal, but the first change I saw. They used to sell it pretty cheap, but after corporate took over it wen to a dollar a can and then it was no longer sold. I've also noticed that 7 Eleven has been having a hard time getting gas for some reason. I'll go to get gas and half the pumps have bags on the handles. I haven't noticed the problem at OnCue yet. Then, there's been a couple times where when I'm getting gas and the pump asks you for your zip code, it kind of goes haywire and won't allow you to enter your pin, so I have to go to another pump. Not to mention the pay cut the employees took!

People had legit concerns about the Brown family 7-Elevens, but it was never going to be a positive change when corporate took over.

Yeah, I think it’s fair to say that the Brown family ran their 7-Elevens better than the corporate locations. The issue was mainly that they had a handshake deal which prevented any QTs from being built in OKC, and then made no effort to improve their stores to a QT level until OnCue forced their hand.

The pay cut thing was absolutely ridiculous. Their pay should have been grandfathered in. 7 Eleven is the McDonalds of convenience store/gas stations. The only thing I’m happy about is downtown OKC will likely get an urban 7 eleven which for whatever reason the Browns wouldn’t build one.

If it makes you feel better, the pay cut thing has surely backfired on them over the past few months.

The salary thing is why I'm hoping OnCue either stays independent or gets acquired by QT, since I believe QT also pays well.

The 7/11 at Rockwell and memorial had always been a clean store but it’s gone downhill with new ownership. I was in there yesterday and it was gross. Fountain drink station was completely out of ice. And I think they raised the prices of fountain drinks

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the pay cut thing has surely backfired on them over the past few months.

The salary thing is why I'm hoping OnCue either stays independent or gets acquired by QT, since I believe QT also pays well.
    I don't know if it backfired.

The location I frequent is as busy as ever. I don't really support them financially. I only go there for lottery and nothing else, but it's hard to say the new company is feeling any squeeze. I'm sure their margins are as good as before. If it wasn't they wouldn't be expanding.

I'll continue to go go OnCue for gas and soda.

But yes. It's tough to support the corporate buyout. The old 7-Elevens had their issues but I think the old company had better management.

Thread Information