Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Football 2015

1. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

Dan, go back and read every OU fan's post on this page except for yours. They are all the same. they basically all come down to one arrogant view:

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    84-18-7 is not a rivalry, please just stop trying to make it one.

Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

Just see how many times the phrase "little brother" is used...

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Again, this is totally disengenous. You honestly believe that OSU and Iowa State are equal rivals to OU? I give up no rationale discussion is happening here.
    Rival | Define Rival at Dictionary.com

noun
    1. a person who is competing for the same object or goal as another, or who tries to equal or outdo another; competitor.

In as much as all are competing for the same goal (Big 12 Championship), by definition they are rivals.

Now, do I feel that OSU and ISU are equal rivals to OU, nope. Do I feel that OSU and Texas are equal rivals to OU? Already answered.

Blog Entries

I wish a game jumped out at me this weekend like the Baylor game did last weekend.

Some interesting lines and action so far this week on Big 12 games. OU opened at 15, was bet down quickly to 14.5 and since has been bet up to 17 range with Over/U of 61.5. 75% of public money on OU. Sharp money probably will come in on Texas eventually.

WVU has been bet up from 6 point favorite to 7. Slight majority of public money is on WVU. O/u at 57.5.

TCU was 8 point favorite over KSU but this morning got bet up a full point to 9. Huge public money on TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    The last 10 years the record is 8-2. You would think by the dok and many osu fans that it was more like 5-5 the last 10 years. When am osu fan says "anything can happen in bedlam"... The rest of the sentence should be "yea anything but the cowboys winning more than 2 out of every 10 games"

Ask any OU fan which game would you rather have on your schedule Ou/Texas or Ou/osu? 9 out of 10 would say they would rather play Texas and drop the osu game.

It's funny how jealous osu fans are of OU. The only way osu is going to another conference like the pac12 or Sec is by piggy backing off of OU. Sorry but no one wants osu what so ever without Ou. Would the sec take Ou without osu absolutely.
    Look at the ratings no one cares about osu.
    The central Arkansas game was the worst watched osu game since 2007.

Does Osu have a rival ? Tech ? Ksu? Tulsa ?
    Do they teach "commas" at OU?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCole View Post
    Come on, you know most OU fans only set foot on campus to watch the games...

KIDDING! I went to OSU but I'm a fan of both schools. Except when they play each other of course. But we can all agree on hating Texas....

Are you still jealous of big brother and knowing you will always be second fiddle?

Blog Entries

Red River Shootout Pump Up.

Are you still jealous of big brother and knowing you will always be second fiddle?
    And there we go.

10. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

I think it's ridiculous to assert that OSU doesn't rise to rival status for OU. Poppycock. They do, certainly far, far more than they used to. Considering their upgrade in talent, facilities and resources it would be stupid to sleep on them, too. I think it's fair to say that they have even come CLOSE to replacing Nebraska as a rival, if for no reason other than that OU very often has to play through them near the end of the season to have a shot at a conference championship.

It's also fair to say that losing to them has a lot more sting than losing to others in conference. That's mostly because as an OU fan, if OSU wins that one you have to live around OSU fans and be reminded of the loss all. year. long. That is no bueno.

That said - and I know this is aggravating for OSU peeps - they aren't close and will probably never rise to the level of the Texas rivalry mostly because of the history. The fair, the Cotton Bowl, blind refs, practice spies, DKR/Switzer, recruiting battles, fights on Commerce Street, a century of mostly even competition, 10 national championships and other things that make OU/TX one of the biggest and best rivalries in the country. I know that's hard for OSU folks to hear, but it really isn't a comment on the Pokes as much as it is the stature of the other rivalry.

Another factor, fair or unfair, is that you have generations of OU fans brought up to hate the Horns and to not even give the Pokes much consideration one way or the other. For generations, you honestly didn't have to. That part is changing, but takes time. When you contrast that with OSU fans who were brought up to hate OU, it's an unbalanced importance among fan bases, which I can certainly understand being frustrating.

But I'm sorry, suggesting that OSU has replaced Texas as OU's number one rival? Nope. Sorry, that's just the way it is. It would take decades, perhaps a conference shift, and a lot more OSU wins for that to be the case.

I would be happy if OU and OSU were in separate conferences....be rid of eachother--A FINAL BREAKUP. OU would be just another team in any conference because no one cares about history anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post

WVU has been bet up from 6 point favorite to 7. Slight majority of public money is on WVU. O/u at 57.5.

TCU was 8 point favorite over KSU but this morning got bet up a full point to 9. Huge public money on TCU.
    Give me the over on that one!

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    I would be happy if OU and OSU were in separate conferences....be rid of eachother--A FINAL BREAKUP. OU would be just another team in any conference because no one cares about history anymore...
    Couldn't agree more, OU would be in the SEC or BIG10 and Osu would end up in the AAC. OU wouldn't have the burden of helping the pokes.

Why would you want to ride on someone else's coattails your whole life?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to assert that OSU doesn't rise to rival status for OU. Poppycock. They do, certainly far, far more than they used to. Considering their upgrade in talent, facilities and resources it would be stupid to sleep on them, too. I think it's fair to say that they have even come CLOSE to replacing Nebraska as a rival, if for no reason other than that OU very often has to play through them near the end of the season to have a shot at a conference championship.

It's also fair to say that losing to them has a lot more sting than losing to others in conference. That's mostly because as an OU fan, if OSU wins that one you have to live around OSU fans and be reminded of the loss all. year. long. That is no bueno.

That said - and I know this is aggravating for OSU peeps - they aren't close and will probably never rise to the level of the Texas rivalry mostly because of the history. The fair, the Cotton Bowl, blind refs, practice spies, DKR/Switzer, recruiting battles, fights on Commerce Street, a century of mostly even competition, 10 national championships and other things that make OU/TX one of the biggest and best rivalries in the country. I know that's hard for OSU folks to hear, but it really isn't a comment on the Pokes as much as it is the stature of the other rivalry.

Another factor, fair or unfair, is that you have generations of OU fans brought up to hate the Horns and to not even give the Pokes much consideration one way or the other. For generations, you honestly didn't have to. That part is changing, but takes time. When you contrast that with OSU fans who were brought up to hate OU, it's an unbalanced importance among fan bases, which I can certainly understand being frustrating.

But I'm sorry, suggesting that OSU has replaced Texas as OU's number one rival? Nope. Sorry, that's just the way it is. It would take decades, perhaps a conference shift, and a lot more OSU wins for that to be the case.
    Probably one of the best-thought posts in this thread. Lots of common sense and realism here.

The take on OU-OSU compared to OU-Nebraska is very interesting. I honestly hadn't thought of that angle. If the Big 12 ever consistently gets to a point where OU-OSU decides the league title, it's very much worth considering. So much was *always* on the line in that great old OU-NU series that it will be hard for any other series to match it.

The curious part of OU-NU over the years was that it was an intense, but respectful rivalry. We never had the frothing hatred for all things NU that we did/do for saxeT. With two hard rivals already on the list, OSU just didn't get much of a blip on the radar, and given that most of the games, historically, haven't been very competitive, and you can kind of get a sense why. Heck, I grew up in the 70's and 80's watching OU regularly beat up on OSU to the tune of 62-7, 38-7, 63-14, 61-28, etc., and I always thought it was weird when someone on the OSU side talked about "Oh, boy, it's BEDLAM," and I'd say, "Huh?" because there was just rarely if ever the expectation it would be competitive. It wasn't that I *disliked* OSU at all; it just was, "oh, yeah, OSU. Okay." That's why games like 1976, when OSU upset a very young OU team, *do* stick out, because they were such exceptions to the rule. Heck, even in this "current" era when OSU as a program is so much better, I think Stoops in his 16 years has only lost to OSU, what, four times? Surely, they're a rival, because they're so much better than they used to be, but if you want to hear a weird perspective, I think Baylor could loom as an even *bigger* rival if for no other reason than they used to be *THE* unqualified doormat of the conference, and they're now emerging as a contemporary power - if that makes some sense. Heck, Baylor used to be a great, fun day trip to watch OU ring up 60 on someone...not anymore.

As far as rivalries go, I think OSU did itself a great *disservice* when it dumped the Arkansas game. When I was growing up, OSU-Arkansas was their OU-Texas, usually played early in the year. Back in the 70's/early 80's, schedules were more set - for OU, you had three non-conference patsies, one conference patsy - often Kansas - then Texas, then the rest of the Big 8. OSU played Arkansas fairly early in their schedule as I recall - and this was back when Arky was in the old SWC. Heck, I even remember listening to parts of OSU-Arkansas on the radio, because OU typically played at 1:30, and OSU-Ark was usually at night.

As I said, good, smart opinions offered here.

15. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

I think this might be the best line in Berry's follow up article with fan emails.

Ron: “84-18-7. That’s your idea of a rivalry. LMAO.”

My idea of a rivalry is when the fans know the records in the series.

16. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

I think my main point is that it's entirely acceptable (and with precedent) for OU to have more than one big rival. A lot of times that comes from someone being a thorn in your side. OU feels that way about Notre Dame, who ruined (and bookended) the 47 straight run in the fifties. I doubt ND fans feel the same way about that rivalry, as they certainly have the historic upper hand there.

Heck, as someone who grew up largely in the 80s, I hate Miami as badly as anybody in football. There is a definite a rivalry there (at least from an OU perspective), though it hasn't burned hotly in a long time now.

The fact that ND fans and Miami fans (as far as Miami HAS fans) surely don't care as much about that rivalry as we do is aggravating and makes you feel a little bit disrespected, and from that standpoint I can understand the frustration of OSU fans.

But like I said, you CAN have more than one rival. And any OU fan who says they aren't usually crapping their pants a little bit during Bedlam week is lying, records be damned. Over the past 15 years if the Pokes have proven nothing else it's that they enjoy playing the spoiler role. And honestly, they've proven more than that.

Couldn't agree more, OU would be in the SEC or BIG10 and Osu would end up in the AAC. OU wouldn't have the burden of helping the pokes.

I would think Texas would likely follow a move by OU to another conference, especially the SEC. So that rivalry would remain. OU and Arkansas could eventually develop into a rivalry. I could see OU and LSU being division rivals.

18. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I think this might be the best line in Berry's follow up article with fan emails.

Ron: “84-18-7. That’s your idea of a rivalry. LMAO.”

My idea of a rivalry is when the fans know the records in the series.

Hey Berry, it takes five seconds to google the record. OU fans aren't walking around telling everyone what their record is against OSU.

Must not teach how to use a capital either.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Hey Berry, it takes five seconds to google the record. OU fans aren't walking around telling everyone what their record is against OSU.
    Really? Because they sure do mention it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Really? Because they sure do mention it enough.
    Wouldn't be able to tell you the exact numbers off the top of my head, but would know its the most lopsided "rivalry" game out there.
    Well besides the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. Can you think of another rivalry game that one side has dominated the other side of the course of generations?

I seriously doubt OSU would end up in the ACC. The way OU has been playing the past several years they would be middle of the pack in the SEC West division. Probably the same in the B1G.

Wouldn't be able to tell you the exact numbers off the top of my head, but would know its the most lopsided "rivalry" game out there.
    Well besides the Harlem Globetrotters and the Washington Generals. Can you think of another rivalry game that one side has dominated the other side of the course of generations?
    Not off the top of my head, but a rivalry doesn't have to be equal. It can be lop sided. I think it's more of a sign at how it sure seems to put a bur under the saddle of so many OU fans to suggest that OSU is a rival.

24. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

Rivalries definitely can't be one sided. It's the rule. It's just not allowed.

The 21st Century?s 12 Most One-Sided Big-Time Rivalries In College Football | College Spun

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think it's fair to say that they have even come CLOSE to replacing Nebraska as a rival
    Shut yo mouth.

I know the local media likes to play it up as OSU is catching up with OU and is much more of a rival now than historically, but go back and look a the record. Gundy has beaten the Sooners twice. And I don't just mean as a coach. He's beaten them twice in his life, as a coach and player, despite having multiple tries at it. OSU is good for a couple of wins a decade against OU. That's it. There's even been a couple of instances where OU has gone 18 or 19 years without losing to OSU. A person born at the beginning of those streaks would be old enough to vote and go to war before seeing OSU beat the Sooners.

As far as knowing the record, if you owned another team, wouldn't you educate yourself about it so you could scoreboard them at any chance.

They'll never be a rival. Certainly not in the Sooners minds. I'm sure OSU and its fans see OU as a rival, but when it's one-sided, it's not a rivalry. Just like if I saw a hot girl as my girlfriend but she hardly acknowledged my existence, that doesn't make her my girlfriend. It's one sided.

Thread Information