Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Football 2015

Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

A very good article by Barry Trammel on this issue at Baylor.

Tramel: Briles likely will survive ordeal, but the next coach won't | NewsOK.com

OSU and TCU began their seasons tonight and I have similar thoughts about both. They both started on the road against teams they were heavily favored over. They both somewhat struggled early before finally having decent wins. Any road win is good but they both showed little signs of having the kind of season they are hoping for. You can't make any final analysis after one game but they both have things to prove. It was just not the impressive start that many were expecting for either team, especially TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It was just not the impressive start that many were expecting for either team, especially TCU.
    I don't have an allegiance either way, but am somewhat curious as to why "especially" TCU? Before the season even started, most talking heads said that a TCU win over Minnesota on the road, would be the best Non Conference win for the Big 12 this season. Its debatable, obviously, with the "opportunity" for Oklahoma to beat Tennessee, but Minnesota is a good team, returning a lot of starters, and several key players from a bowl team last year. So You are correct, in that TCU was NOT very impressive in their victory..but, the at the end of the day...Minnesota is still a formidable Power 5 conference opponent with athletes on par athletically with everyone on the TCU roster.

On the other side of the equation of "either" team, I would also agree with your assessment that Oklahoma State also did not have an impressive start. A win is a win....no doubt. But, I personally would be much more concerned..and or, would feel like there should be much more alarm, for what we saw from Oklahoma State. Central Michigan is a MAC team, and although there are still scholarship athletes...there are not many.....if any, that should be on par physically with what OSU has to put out on the field. Regardless of "expectations" whether, good or bad. Oklahoma State should have been able to physically push Central Michigan all over the field, even of they were to keep everything super simple, and regardless of gameplan. In the trenches, OSU should have been able to move the line of scrimmage with ease, and blow them off the ball...allowing playmakers to make the plays. But, it never happened. The sky isn't falling...and they won the game...but in context of the situation at hand...I would definitely find the results to be MUCH more surprising and/or concerning, than the TCU win over Minnesota.

Unfortunately, for Oklahoma State...there really isn't an opportunity to get much better over the next few weeks. With Central Arkansas, and University of Texas @ San Antonio scheduled for the next two games...they wont be tested in any way. Literally going thru the motions, should garner a 40-50 point margin of victory. One would hope that it doesn't give them a false sense of accomplishment. Maybe having to face the early adversity in the first game, will make them work harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy View Post
    I don't have an allegiance either way, but am somewhat curious as to why "especially" TCU? Before the season even started, most talking heads said that a TCU win over Minnesota on the road, would be the best Non Conference win for the Big 12 this season.
    Those same talking heads must not have been aware that Texas plays a road game this year at Notre Dame. A win there would, without a doubt, be the biggest non-conference win for any Big 12 team this year.

Those same talking heads must not have been aware that Texas plays a road game this year at Notre Dame. A win there would, without a doubt, be the biggest non-conference win for any Big 12 team this year.
    If I recall, the exact verbage was that...TCU over Minnesota will be the biggest Non Conference win for the Big 12 this year. I'm assuming, they are already marking Texas and Oklahoma with a loss.

OSU seemed a little... apathetic...I guess? It was a lukewarm start to the season, and I'm hoping they are more on the game when they face some more formidable opponents.

Blog Entries

You could tell it was week 1 last night - watched a good bit of SC - NC; OSU game and some of TCU-Minn. Offenses were behind defenses for the most part and just some execution issues which led to low scoring games. Kinda look forward to seeing what happens with Texas - ND; ASU v A&m and Louisville - Auburn games (even though not all in Big 12). And of course OU - gonna be toasty Sat. at 6.

Baylor was also a little sluggish for about half of their game tonight but ended up doing just about what everyone expected. I think their defense is still suspect.

Blog Entries

^But they made a bunch of bettors made as they failed to cover by 1/2 a point..ha

SD State 17 Kansas 7. All you need to know about b12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    That is the only game Kansas had much of a chance to win. They will be double digit dogs in every game the rest of the year. Horrendous team.

This is why the b12 is a dead conference. KU,ISU, awful most years. KSU will be awful when B.S. Retired. TT will be bad this year. That's almost 1/2 the conference BAD year in year out. Flip a coin on WV and OSU. And OU and Texas don't frighten anybody. Kill this conference sooner rather than later

This is why the b12 is a dead conference. KU,ISU, awful most years. KSU will be awful when B.S. Retired. TT will be bad this year. That's almost 1/2 the conference BAD year in year out. Flip a coin on WV and OSU. And OU and Texas don't frighten anybody. Kill this conference sooner rather than later
    I don't know why you even bother to post here. Everyone already knows how you feel. Pointing out that Kansas is a horrible team is a given and that surprises nobody. Maybe you should try bashing the Big 10. Nebraska lost a home game to BYU by gagging on the last play of the game, Penn State lost to Temple by 17 points, and Indiana only beat Southern Illinois by 1 point. Or you could rag on the Pac 12 because Stanford lost to Northwestern and Washington State lost to Portland State. OU started out sluggish on offense but the defense has been stellar all night. Baker Mayfield has had the biggest passing night in a first start of any Sooner in history. Texas is questionable but we'll see about OU next week at Tennessee.

I don't know why you even bother to post here. Everyone already knows how you feel. Pointing out that Kansas is a horrible team is a given and that surprises nobody. Maybe you should try bashing the Big 10. Nebraska lost a home game to BYU by gagging on the last play of the game, Penn State lost to Temple by 17 points, and Indiana only beat Southern Illinois by 1 point. Or you could rag on the Pac 12 because Stanford lost to Northwestern and Washington State lost to Portland State. OU started out sluggish on offense but the defense has been stellar all night. Baker Mayfield has had the biggest passing night in a first start of any Sooner in history. Texas is questionable but we'll see about OU next week at Tennessee.
    Yeah, I agree with everything you said. Also, we really needed a Texas win on the road at ND for "strength of schedule" reasons. All that matters more than ever when they seed the playoffs.

One more thing...OU Athletic Dept. just tweeted about Mayfield's record for Most Passing Yards in Season Opener in OU football history!

I post here because I am a Sooner Alum, native Oklahoman and exercise my right to free speech. No one has to agree with me but I am entitled to my opinion just like those who posit a view different from mine who I often disagree with.

17. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

I post here because I am a Sooner Alum, native Oklahoman and exercise my right to free speech. No one has to agree with me but I am entitled to my opinion just like those who posit a view different from mine who I often disagree with.
    Well...that part really doesn't matter since Pete can shut you up at any point since it is his house. Constitution freedoms really don't mean squat on a privately owned forum.

Regardless...good to see the good guys win tonight and Baker come out with a strong performance. Overall decent start for the conference in terms of wins...except for Kansas and Texas being terrible. Kansas at least found the end zone once, even though it was against SD ST.

You certainly have a right to voice your opinion. It's just that your sole purpose for posting here always seems to be to bash OU and the Big 12 in particular and you totally ignore anything that vaguely comes close to being a positive. Your past posts here are very easy to find and always seem to be the same. Nobody is claiming that the Big 12 is the premier powerhouse conference, but it is hardly worthy of using the words "dead conference". That is a gross exaggeration and I have no idea why you say that unless you have some hidden bias that you won't talk about.

PAC 12--
    (ranked) Stanford lost to (unranked) Northwestern
    Washington St lost to PORTLAND ST (9 losses last year in the mighty Big Sky conference....they had a 4% chance of winning according to FPI)
    Colorado lost to Hawaii (9 losses last year)
    (ranked) ASU got their asses handed to them by (unranked) A&M

Big 10--
    Penn St got their asses handed to them by TEMPLE
    Nebraska lost at home to BYU (1st season opener loss by Nebraska in 3 decades)

SEC
    Vanderbilt lost at home to WESTERN KENTUCKY

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    When the Big 12 breaks up, UT OU and KU will be fine, they will all find homes.

Tech, OSU, KSU, ISU. Baylor, WVU, tcu will be in trouble and trying to ride the coat tails of the big 3. Maybe these 7 stick together and try to add 5 more to be a bridge from the P4 and the mid majors-. They could add like Cinci, Memphis, SMU, Houston, Tulane and that wouldn't be that bad of an upper mid-major
    Lmao. Oh yes.

KU should probably be kicked out of the B12, but they're really the envy of every Power 5 conference (isn't there a Catholic bball conf they can join). Nobody would want OSU or WVU...

Blog Entries

Kansas did the ultimate bad fire when they got rid of Mangino. The issues there were not that bad and 90% of the players were in his camp. He got them to an Orange bowl which is hard to believe. Schools make bad HIRES and they make bad FIRES. He was one of the latter.

22. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

I said almost exactly the same thing to someone this morning.

Blog Entries

^Maybe not quite to the same level was Tech with the firing of Leach. It was just a stationary bike in a storage closet after all.

Leach may have been one of the cleanest coaches in the NCAA. He pissed off the donors and the media, which decide whether to keep or lose any coach. I honestly would love to see Leach come to OSU.

Whatever success Leach had at Tech has long since disappeared.

He's 12-26 at Wazzou and just lost yesterday at home to FCS Portland State, a 31-point underdog.

Thread Information