Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Football 2015

Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

The key for the Big 12 will be when one of two things happens:

1. Some other conference decides it's OK with Texas having the "Longhorn Network"
    2. Texas decides to fold or entirely reimagine the LHN.

I don't see either one of those happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    There's no way you're going to see *more* 11AM kickoffs if you're a Pac12 member - that's a 9AM kick on the coast. What you *would* get is a bunch of *late* night kicks....
    Look at it from the pac12 network. Is it better to have 3 live games a week on Saturday or 4? Obviously 4, that way the can charge more money for their network. Right now that 11am window is not available for the pac12 network to show games. Enter OU and then yes they can show games at 11am/9am.

Yes some of our away games will be in the late window as well

If the Big 12 were to fall apart, let's say OU and Texas were to leave the conference. Tech and OSU would definitely have landing spots elsewhere. They may not be perennially top 10 teams but I recall a Forbes article recently that had OSU #23 and Tech #25 in value of their brand. Tech for instance is close to 40k students and I believe they have the second largest alumni base in DFW. Lubbock might not mean anything but their share of DFW market does.

found the article, it was actually wall street journal. http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-yo...rth-1421081367

4. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

^Hey man. It's not fun when you use logic and facts. Get out of here with that stuff.

Getting a 15.6 rating in your "home market" for an away conference game is not something you would want to show TV execs when trying to get a bid..

I would think A&m has a larger alumni base in dfw (espicially now that A&m law is in FW).

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Well, whatever you call it, the Big XII's ship has a hole in its bow. It's just a matter of time.

Whether we like it or not: Texas may just decide to go independent despite all the self-destruction they have caused the Big XII. The Longhorn network they see as a future investment to further expand their teaching & research efforts--as they span the globe. The Longhorn football is their Trojan horse.

IMHO, it's to OU's advantage to bring OSU along on their coat tails regardless of what conference they decide to embark. OSU will in time continue to improve its academic standards as they emerge.

Sure Stillwater, OK is out in the middle of no-where. So, what? Some of the best scholars get away to practice their study (some in melancholy status) before they emerge like the butterfly.
    This is not an issue about scholars, it is an issue about TV revenue and number of television sets. OSU is lacking and thus not attractive.

Blog Entries

Baylor is now averaging 63.8 ppg. TCU is the only other offense in the FBS averaging more than 50.

RIP, Bevo.

An obituary to Bevo XIV: The Texas Longhorn steer beloved by a fan base

Bevo XIV served as UT's mascot for 11 years. He attended home football games, university functions and even private events that raised more than $250,000 for underprivileged students in Austin.

But in Fort Worth for Texas' Oct. 3 matchup against No. 4 TCU, Bevo XIV was acting a little off.

"We started noticing when we got to the pin early to brush and feed him, he wasn't eating like he used to," Mafrige said. "He would let [his best friend] Spike eat his food even though used to always be the alpha male. We noticed something wasn't right."

The handlers told John T. and Betty Baker, Bevo XIV's owners. The Bakers took Bevo XIV to a veterinarian and learned the steer had bovine leukemia virus. On Friday, Bevo XIV died in his sleep. He had retired three days earlier.

9. Default Re: Big 12 Football 2015

Enjoy your dirt nap, turd.

Sure miss the old Big 8. Still after all these years. Not just football but basketball as well. The old Big 8 had some great teams with great coaches. I am predcitng that within the next 5 years this current conference will be No More.

I personally find it very hard to watch the type of football that's being played in this conference. Not a fan of the hurry up all game long with scores in the 50s 60s week in and week out. And just look at the polls. There is no way Baylor and TCU should be ranked in the top 5. There are many teams in other conferences that would be favored to beat these teams that are ranked much lower and in some cases not ranked at all.

Blog Entries

Actually Baylor would be heavily favored in various final 4 match-ups as noted by the one below :

Hypothetical CFB Playoff lines via @BookMakerdotEU
    OSU (-5.5) v Utah
    Baylor (-8) v LSU
    TCU (-7) v Mich St
    Alabama (-8.5) v Clemson

Baylor is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Sure miss the old Big 8. Still after all these years. Not just football but basketball as well. The old Big 8 had some great teams with great coaches. I am predcitng that within the next 5 years this current conference will be No More.

I personally find it very hard to watch the type of football that's being played in this conference. Not a fan of the hurry up all game long with scores in the 50s 60s week in and week out. And just look at the polls. There is no way Baylor and TCU should be ranked in the top 5. There are many teams in other conferences that would be favored to beat these teams that are ranked much lower and in some cases not ranked at all.
    You think unranked teams would be favored against Baylor? On a neutral field there are only a few teams they wouldn't be favored against. They're really good.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Actually Baylor would be heavily favored in various final 4 match-ups as noted by the one below :

Hypothetical CFB Playoff lines via @BookMakerdotEU
    OSU (-5.5) v Utah
    Baylor (-8) v LSU
    TCU (-7) v Mich St
    Alabama (-8.5) v Clemson

Baylor is really good.
    Only reason why I'm glad OSU has Baylor, TCU and OU at home this year (although I don't think it will make a difference vs. Baylor cause they're just that good).

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    You think unranked teams would be favored against Baylor? On a neutral field there are only a few teams they wouldn't be favored against. They're really good.
    The Big 12 doesn't play defense. Hard to tell how good any of these teams are.

The first, best difference for this year's Baylor team is that they've figured out how to run the ball while sending 26 guys into receiving patterns. The next best difference could be defense, but how this defense would hold up against a really good offense remains to be seen. They gave up 38 to West Virginia in a 62-38 win, but if some of those were garbage points, it could be deceiving.

Right now, we know Baylor's offense is really good. Defense is the unknown.

In a perverse sort of way, I thought the *idea* behind the offense OU tried (and failed) to run last year - ground and pound, old-school, I-formation, was arguably one of the best ways to defend Baylor - just don't let 'em have the ball. Limit their possessions. OU did, at least, get to a point where they were grinding out 6 and 7-minute drives at one point, but not running the QB (whether it was Stoops' or Heupel's decision we'll never know) hung the offense out to dry, and Knight's propensity to randomly throw the ball directly to a guy wearing the other team's jersey kinda put the whole thing out to pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    The Big 12 doesn't play defense. Hard to tell how good any of these teams are.
    All the other conferences utilize antiquated, old fashioned, easy to defend offenses. Hard to tell how good any of those teams are.

Last year Baylor faced the #1 defense in College football. (Michigan St.) Baylor had over 600 yards passing! There isn't anyone in the Country that can defend these types of offenses. You can only hope to turn them over, create more possessions, and score more points.

Blog Entries

Good observation & fact.

The only thing that will beat Baylor will be Baylor; especially if they have an OU moment--as in the previous Red River Rivalry.

Blog Entries

November in the Big 12 is going to be REALLY interesting. Schedule is so back loaded that it will make every weekend really big. And I think you could have teams that may not be in the race for the top spot in positions to knock off a top team (or at least a team which is in the mix toward the end).

I actually think the key to beating Baylor is keeping their offense off the field. Long possessions can take them out of their rhythm. That, and obviously, turnovers and stuff like that.

another key to beating Baylor is beg and plead the refs to actually call the pick plays from WRs on every route.
    If refs officiated correctly Baylor would have problems.

I actually think the key to beating Baylor is keeping their offense off the field. Long possessions can take them out of their rhythm. That, and obviously, turnovers and stuff like that.
    Would OU be able to do that without a viable running game that eats up the clock?

Whatever else happens, don't muck up their flight and dinner plans. That can change people right fast.

Blog Entries

OSU shouldn't be underestimated, dismissed or overlooked at this point.

Florida State last season won many close games; they got to the championship playoffs and laid a goose egg.

Florida State last season won many close games; they got to the championship playoffs and laid a goose egg.
    Agreed. The ability to stay in the game, fight, and win the close ones is a good sign. Do I think they're championship material this year? Nope. Do I think they are going to surprise a team or two. Very likely.

Blog Entries

But will the cover the 34.5 tomorrow??

Thread Information