Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: OKCFest 2015

1. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

I went to Lights All Night in 2012 and benny Benassi, porter robinson, and tiesto. that was awesome. saw calvin harris last time in vegas and he put on a great show. almost as awesome as Ibiza for 8 days in 2011. makes me tired again just thinking about it. Armin van Buurin gave one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day. just a different experience. lots on energy and crowd interaction. also I have never seen a fight at an EDM concert, which I think is interesting.

Default Re: OKCFest 2015

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I went to Lights All Night in 2012 and benny Benassi, porter robinson, and tiesto. that was awesome. saw calvin harris last time in vegas and he put on a great show. almost as awesome as Ibiza for 8 days in 2011. makes me tired again just thinking about it. Armin van Buurin gave one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day. just a different experience. lots on energy and crowd interaction. also I have never seen a fight at an EDM concert, which I think is interesting.
    I went to LAN 2014. Armin played and I didn't think it was too spectacular. I really liked Seven Lions live. A lot different than what you hear on the radio. Where did you see Armin?

3. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

I saw him at Space club in Ibiza back in 2011. He played for 3 hours straight and did a lot of his a state of trance stuff. It was incredible

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    #3 is interesting: 3,100 fans showed up on Friday. About 6,000 on Saturday.
    So, is this end game for OKCFest, or will they learn from this? I can't imagine they didn't lose their *ss.

5. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

I think you'll see more booking control handed over to someone else (possibly Scott Booker, who I think was brought in too late this time to make much of a difference). I think you'll also see more of a focus shift to alt/indie acts, who largely rule the festival circuit. In the case of this festival, playing it "safe" has absolutely been the unsafe play. Hopefully this will convince organizers to take some risks with lineup next time. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of successful festivals to mimic from a booking standpoint.

If taking a bath this year causes them to shake things up, it could actually be a good thing. If a bad/unimaginative lineup had been commercially successful it might have encouraged them to stay on the same path in the future.

I was downtown on Saturday but not for the festival. There were definitely not any free music venues this year like there were last year.

I hope they will bring Grace back. I just couldn't pay the price to see one act here in OKC. I'll see her in several weeks at a free festival in Vermont. Glad there's an effort, but they need guidance in a terrible way!

I think it's as simple as they didn't book anyone relevant. Hagar and hank Williams haven't been relevant in a very long time and rascal flats was cool ten years ago.
    I'm not saying they need to get jay-z, Taylor swift or Katy Perry but they do need some newer names. This lineup felt lazy, rushed, and probably amateurish. If you look at the lineup and think eh I could probably just see them at lucky star eventually, don't book them.

Blake and Miranda should be their number one target next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Blake and Miranda should be their number one target next year.
    Like***** But there will still be people griping because it isn't the younger alternative stuff. Reminds me of my teenagers...if it isn't what I like...it's crap. No appreciation for other types of music. I think a great countryfest would be cool but have no problem with a great alternative fest either even though I wouldn't attend but I realize that this great city has many great citizens with different tastes in music.

i think the environment needs a change - a fenced-in asphalt parking lot in summer with no re-entry and no chairs allowed is off-putting to many.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    i think the environment needs a change - a fenced-in asphalt parking lot in summer with no re-entry and no chairs allowed is off-putting to many.
    Definitely needs to be in a nicer grass area where people can get comfortable. That was always a draw for the Zoo was there were areas you could just spread a blanket and enjoy the music

Each year many of the same acts hit festivals all over the country so its not hard to figure out booking. You can have older acts but not as the main draw. mostly you have to run the festival like a festival. you need a area that is comfortable and that allows your patrons to enjoy themselves. no re-entry is odd for a festival and screams that you are desperate for concession sales to make your money. People will buy your beer don't worry but you have to let folks roam and be comfortable. Gentleman of the road in Guthrie was such a great set up they did an amazing job on that festival.

13. Default Re: OKCFest 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    Each year many of the same acts hit festivals all over the country so its not hard to figure out booking. You can have older acts but not as the main draw...
    Or they can even still be the "headliner" in deference to their place in music history. An example would be this year's Lollapalooza in Chicago. Technically Paul McCartney and Metallica are the headliners, but I'll bet more tickets are being purchased to see the sum total of acts like Florence and the Machine, Sam Smith, Alabama Shakes, alt-J, Tame Impala, TVOTR, etc.

2015 Lineup | Lollapalooza 2015

I agree with others. Bring in a few current, relevant artists across a few different genres and the festival becomes a better draw. Sammy Hagar and Hank Williams Jr as headliners isn't going to cut it. Add to that the location and its a no wonder it was a failure. I applaud the people who are trying but if they really want to make this a festival that draws 30,000+, they need to change their approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    and here's a fest that has a pretty good cross-section of music that i think could attract a good-sized crowd here. i'm not sure okc could handle a 3-day festival downtown, but keep the current okcfest schedule how it is, maybe add a 2nd stage?
    The Musical Lineup - Pilgrimage Music Festival

Yeah that wouldn't even draw 5,000 in Oklahoma. Each night has to have a big, relevant country music artist as it's headliner. People aren't going to roll out to a hot gravel parking lot for the doobie brothers or carlos santana. That just isn't the market that OKC is, and the festival isn't a comfortable enough environment to pull off a gentlemen of the road type festival.

I'd make blake and miranda the headline.
    Slightly less known name (eli young band)
    then young/local/etc type artists.

They have to keep getting it established before they can take bigger and bigger risks on the acts. That lineup you posted would be a huge risk.

Yeah that wouldn't even draw 5,000 in Oklahoma. Each night has to have a big, relevant country music artist as it's headliner. People aren't going to roll out to a hot gravel parking lot for the doobie brothers or carlos santana. That just isn't the market that OKC is, and the festival isn't a comfortable enough environment to pull off a gentlemen of the road type festival.

They have to keep getting it established before they can take bigger and bigger risks on the acts. That lineup you posted would be a huge risk.
    I think you might be underestimated the scene a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I think you'll see more booking control handed over to someone else (possibly Scott Booker, who I think was brought in too late this time to make much of a difference). I think you'll also see more of a focus shift to alt/indie acts, who largely rule the festival circuit. In the case of this festival, playing it "safe" has absolutely been the unsafe play. Hopefully this will convince organizers to take some risks with lineup next time. It's not like there aren't tons of examples of successful festivals to mimic from a booking standpoint.

If taking a bath this year causes them to shake things up, it could actually be a good thing. If a bad/unimaginative lineup had been commercially successful it might have encouraged them to stay on the same path in the future.
    Agree with pretty much everything 200%. Did not know Scott was brought in, shame they didn't have him from the beginning of this year's booking, he's fantastic with some of the acts he's brought here (pretty much starting with Swans in 1989), hope they retain him for next year!

I have a few favorite music genres. But catching even my fav of favs live is not a big deal to me.

Give me the choice of my so-so knees and easy to drench fluffy self listening to music in a crowd in the heat, blacktop or grass is somewhat irrelevant to the portly, or listening in the well chilled comfort of home, I have discovered I truly have few qualms with being a well tuned hermit.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Received an email from Zoo Amphitheater the Widespread Panic show cancelled due to the classic "unforeseen circumstance" OKC is so lame.

Unfortunately you're probably right. Received an email from Zoo Amphitheater the Widespread Panic show cancelled due to the classic "unforeseen circumstance" OKC is so lame.
    Who's to say WP didn't cancel the show due to an unforeseen circumstance? Why don't you move? Seriously. If you hate it so much, why don't you go to Tulsa or Dallas where they never had any problems of any kind?

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Who's to say WP didn't cancel the show due to an unforeseen circumstance? Why don't you move? Seriously. If you hate it so much, why don't you go to Tulsa or Dallas where they never had any problems of any kind?
    I would be surprised if it was cancelled due to low ticket sales. Phish show a couple years back was packed.

The Jayhawks? Damn I didn't even know they were still around

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    It was the only show on their schedule that encountered unforeseen circumstances. I'm just bummed. Love the Zoo and was really looking forward to it. You're right, hopefully the Brady will book them again soon.

Thread Information