Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb

Default Re: About Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb

I too watched this on OETA. Along with "Back in Time: Breaking the Bank," I absorbed a lot of history of the Penn Square Bank collapse. I live at 45th and Classen, and I am just in awe of the fact that I live in the shadow of the giant black tower that was built for the bank that crippled the Oklahoma economy for well over a decade.

My hat is off to Mayor Mick for his work on this film. I've been around/in the OKC area for years and had forgotten how difficult things were in the mid-late 80's. I have great appreciation for OKC leaders who were able to take a vision and turn it into such amazing progress. The 'before' and 'after' understanding of OKC is one which we should applaud.

I still haven't seen this yet. It was OETA back on the 13th but I missed it. I was here for all of it, and hope it come on OETA again.

I seem to remember that the DVD may also be available at the OK History Center store, but I would call them first to make sure.

Blog Entries

I bought my DVD at Full Circle

It's also available from Amazon.com, apparently manufactured on-demand: https://amzn.com/B00VMX1IKA

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I saw where Steve Hunt has already left a question on the Facebook page about Meg Salyer. Actually, It's very hard to tell the true story of Penn Square Bank without telling the amazing and (almost unbelievable) story of Margaret Sipperly, a New York City executive with Chase Manhattan Bank who held a Penn Square portfolio worth an estimated $250 million (1985) dollars. She and her department head quit Chase Manhattan days after the Penn Square collapse. She ends up moving to Oklahoma City and marrying the uber-wealthy Chris Salyer (wealth+wealth).

Who would have ever thought the infamous Margaret Sipperly from "back East" who was involved in one of the biggest banking disasters the nation has ever seen, would not only move to Oklahoma City, but later be a sitting Oklahoma City Councilperson and be as big an insider as there is on the council? It's a huge irony. It belongs in Ripley's Believe It or Not. The chances of that scenario playing out how it has for Margaret "Meg" Sipperly-Salyer is truly hard to believe.

That aside, the film looks fascinating. Good luck to Mayor Mick with the success of the film!

yah I don't like her. She also played a big part in the Chamber/Greenwell's 6-figure spending spree to keep me off the ballot. Oh well.

Absolutely screaming about this guy bumping a thread whose last post occurred before he even joined the forum. This is the level of extremely online that I someday aspire to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Absolutely screaming about this guy bumping a thread whose last post occurred before he even joined the forum. This is the level of extremely online that I someday aspire to be.
    Well, Steve Hunt was mentioned in the reply he quoted. Fair to respond to your name being called... He was almost Mayor Steve Hunt, now he is just TheSteveHunt

He is the same level of almost Mayor Steve that I am almost Mayor David just sitting at home in my pajamas.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    He is the same level of almost Mayor Steve that I am almost Mayor David just sitting at home in my pajamas.
    That’s not fair, he got a few hundred votes.

Thread Information