Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb

Default About Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb

Mick Cornett has done a documentary about OKC from 1970 to 1995:

When it seemed like things couldn’t get worse, they did.

From the oil boom of the 1970s to the failure of Penn Square Bank in 1982 to the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in 1995, this inspiring, feature-length documentary sheds light on the darkest years of Oklahoma City… and the people who refused to give up.

Produced, written and directed by Mick Cornett, Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb is a story like no other. It’s a tale of resilience, exploring how Oklahoma City’s turbulent past helped shape its bright, flourishing future.
    https://www.facebook.com/OKCmovie

Will be a screening 4/10/15 at the Harkins Theater.

Default Re: About Oklahoma City: The Boom, the Bust and the Bomb

I saw where Steve Hunt has already left a question on the Facebook page about Meg Salyer. Actually, It's very hard to tell the true story of Penn Square Bank without telling the amazing and (almost unbelievable) story of Margaret Sipperly, a New York City executive with Chase Manhattan Bank who held a Penn Square portfolio worth an estimated $250 million (1985) dollars. She and her department head quit Chase Manhattan days after the Penn Square collapse. She ends up moving to Oklahoma City and marrying the uber-wealthy Chris Salyer (wealth+wealth).

Who would have ever thought the infamous Margaret Sipperly from "back East" who was involved in one of the biggest banking disasters the nation has ever seen, would not only move to Oklahoma City, but later be a sitting Oklahoma City Councilperson and be as big an insider as there is on the council? It's a huge irony. It belongs in Ripley's Believe It or Not. The chances of that scenario playing out how it has for Margaret "Meg" Sipperly-Salyer is truly hard to believe.

That aside, the film looks fascinating. Good luck to Mayor Mick with the success of the film!

I suppose Meg met Chris Salyer when she was traveling to OKC on her banking deals with Penn Square?

Do you know if there might be a DVD of this? The DW and I do not really theatre much anymore. I would like a copy.

I, too, would like to get it in DVD form...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    I, too, would like to get it in DVD form...
    Just chiming in here, yes it will be available on DVD, Digital Download and Digital Rental. It will be showing multiple times per day for a period (not yet determined) of time at Harkins Theatre in Bricktown - not just one screening.

Online pre-sale for ticket purchasing will be available any day now on Harkins.
    You can watch the trailer here: https://youtu.be/j4C4a5_MA2Y

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCornett View Post
    Online pre-sale for ticket purchasing will be available any day now on Harkins.
    It is available now. You'll have to change the date to 4/10 (or whichever day) to see available showtimes.
    Last edited by Ginkasa; 04-01-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Link didn't work as planned.

Blog Entries

Surprised it won't be at OKCMOA

Why don't people like to go to the movies any more? Did tickets get too outrageously expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Why don't people like to go to the movies any more? Did tickets get too outrageously expensive?
    1.2 million movie tickets were sold in 2014 alone. A good deal lower than 2002's record 1.5 million tickets, but more than any year in the '80s and a good chunk of the '90s. People have been declaring the death of movie theatres for decades and it keeps not happening.

At the risk of sounding like a grump.... I don't like going to movies anymore for a couple of reasons (I hit maybe one a year).

1) Yes, the cost.
    but bigger..
    2) Rudeness! It's gotten so much worse IMO. People talk more, yell at the screen more, use their phones, bring young children to post 8pm pg and pg-13 movies, throw trash all over the place, and in general just operate with a total lack of respect for the theater and for the other people in the theater.

If I want an unpleasant and distracting movie watching environment, I can just stay home with my wife. :P

(I kid honey, I kid!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    1.2 million movie tickets were sold in 2014 alone. A good deal lower than 2002's record 1.5 million tickets, but more than any year in the '80s and a good chunk of the '90s. People have been declaring the death of movie theatres for decades and it keeps not happening.
    I can't edit this anymore, but when I said "million" I meant "billion."

Looks like really high production value. Big crew was used it appears from the facebook photo. On Flashpoint Mick kept on referring to it as a full length feature film, super impressive. Who are the backers and sponsors of the movie? How long has it been in production?

No, but the popcorn did.

Legal question

New Headline at bottom of okcmovie.com website says "Thank you to our Sponsors" and lists the following sponsors:

The Oklahoma History Center
    The Oklahoman
    Devon Energy
    Chesapeake Energy
    Sandridge Energy
    Love's Travel Stops and Country Stores
    American Fidelity
    Bancfirst
    KWTV
    KOCO
    Richard Tanenbaum
    The Meinders Foundation

The documentary is "produced, written and directed by Mick Cornett"
    The money was presumably transferred to the Mayor's production company of which he is the only owner.
    Many of these entities had business (some had multiple cases) before the council of which the Mayor did not recuse himself from voting.
    Is this a violation of the city charter?
    Is there any requirement to disclose how much these entities gave to the Mayor's production company?

I'm sure the mayor or any City Councilperson can take money for their businesses (they are all only very part-time City employees) from anyone.

The mayor is only paid $24K per year and the each councilperson gets $12K per year.

They all have other jobs and they all have tons of conflicts in that regard.

Steve Lackmeyer has a great full story today called the Mayor's Movie. I think as long as the mayor recused himself from votes or stated his possible conflict there is nothing illegal about those movie sponsors having city business, if he didn't it could border on unethical? Then I wonder: who gets the money from the proceeds (if any), was there profit leftover from the production, is this how some people and companies paid Mick to stay around for another term?

I watched it today from DVD and thoroughly enjoyed it although it was emotionally draining for me. Might not be as emotional for those who did not live through those years. Actually makes me consider seeing it on the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a grump.... I don't like going to movies anymore for a couple of reasons (I hit maybe one a year).

1) Yes, the cost.
    but bigger..
    2) Rudeness! It's gotten so much worse IMO. People talk more, yell at the screen more, use their phones, bring young children to post 8pm pg and pg-13 movies, throw trash all over the place, and in general just operate with a total lack of respect for the theater and for the other people in the theater.

If I want an unpleasant and distracting movie watching environment, I can just stay home with my wife. :P

(I kid honey, I kid!)
    Agree with everything 'cept that last part. Happy wife, happy life.

This is the final weekend to go see the documentary at Harkins Theatres. It will be showing through Thursday, May 7. Daily: 10:40am, 1:40pm, 4:40pm, 7:40pm, 10:40pm
    Pre-order tickets: okcmovie.com

I have read plenty of reviews online through Facebook and Twitter, but have only seen one review on this thread. Has anyone else here seen it? Thoughts?

Where will I be able to watch it after it quits showing at Harkins?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Where will I be able to watch it after it quits showing at Harkins?
    You can rent it on-line ($10) or buy a DVD ($25) here:

http://okcmovie.com/

I caught the 10:40 showing of this today, and it was fascinating. Being someone who moved into the state just in time to see the bombing on the news, it was really interesting seeing a presentation of how everything played out in regards to the Penn Square Bank failure.

My husband and I saw it today and found it very interesting, moving, and informative. I encourage people to see whatever your age. We are old enough to have lived through the events covered in the movie but time kind of causes you to forget the ways and how comes. I hope in some way that Mayor Cornett is recognized for this production.

Finally watched this, DVR'd it on OETA from a couple weeks back. As someone who didn't live here until 7.5 years ago it was I credibly informative.

Thread Information