Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mustang wants to annex OKC land

Default Re: Mustang wants to annex OKC land

I think OKC should keep the land. But I've already made that clear.

Let them have it. Oklahoma City is already sprawled disaster. It has too many roads it can't even take care of. Slice everything off at the county lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    Let them have it. Oklahoma City is already sprawled disaster. It has too many roads it can't even take care of. Slice everything off at the county lines.
    That's exactly what I thought too. I know OKC wants all the money they can get but I think they're too big to actually care for all the land they have.

It's 1.5ish sq miles out of what, 600+ ??

Let it go okc, just let it go.

yeah I said earlier that OKC should keep it and I'd stick to it though the developer has plans and if means whether or not they can connect to Mustang, I think this would benefit the metro as a whole. As long as the developer has plans in place and can't access utilities any other way, I'd just say give it to Mustang so it can be developed.

Anyone with a subscription able to give us a summary? Interested to see some specifics on this development.

http://www.theyukonreview.com/2016/1...ng-on-to-land/

In a nutshell, OKC is willing to work with Mustang if the latter is willing to accept a more rectangular shape of land. If the deal goes through as proposed, Mustang will increase in size by two square miles.

Apparently, size matters, but only if it's in the right places.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Sounds like they would be willing to let it happen if it was more like what I showed in my original rendering before they came up with what is shown in the paper. Makes sense they'd want it that way, although I don't see OKC expanding services around Mustang on either the East or West side anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCM View Post
    http://www.theyukonreview.com/2016/1...ng-on-to-land/

In a nutshell, OKC is willing to work with Mustang if the latter is willing to accept a more rectangular shape of land. If the deal goes through as proposed, Mustang will increase in size by two square miles.

Apparently, size matters, but only if it's in the right places.
    That makes sense, it seemed both small and oddly specific shape

(for reference from earlier in this thread)

It looks like this is not happening for now.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5545170

The city council on Tuesday rejected a plan to allow Mustang to annex land*within the borders of Oklahoma City for a commercial and residential development.

Obviously there are 2 sides to this, but basically it seems selfish that OKC doesn't want to de-annex. OKC says we can't support it, but we don't want to lose out on the money if people build, so you can't have it. I mean I get it from their perspective but what it basically comes down to is nothing's going to get built there because there aren't services, but services won't get installed because there isn't anyone there. Which basically means it's going to stay raw land.

I thought much the same, except I would say short-sighted (and several other words) instead of selfish. Basically what's going to happen is Mustang will take note of the people who said no and will watch the elections, when those people are out the issue will be revisited. Eventually either OKC will change their minds on their refusal to extend services or Mustang will get the land. In the meantime OKC still isn't going to get the precious sales/property tax they claim they are missing out on. What they will miss out on is the people who would be living there who obviously would be coming into OKC and spending money at OTHER locations on a daily basis.

And aren't there other sources of income OKC would have even if Mustang had that land? Am I incorrect in my understanding that Mustang currently buys water from OKC? Does it not stand to reason that if Mustang were the one to run water/sewer there, then Mustang would be buying MORE water from OKC? OKC gets the income, didn't have to spend the money running pipe.

Yeah Mustang currently buys most of their water from OKC. So that's definitely a good point, although I know Mustang along with several other West suburbs have been trying to drill to find their own water source so they aren't so dependent on OKC.

To my way of thinking OKC should let go all land that is both West of County Line road and South of Mustang. For that matter just extend Mustangs North border (59th st) to Gregory rd (OKC Limit) all the way down to the river. Most all of these people rely on Mustang for PO and School anyways and already consider themselves Mustang residents over OKC, so let's just make it official.

Just did a quick map, this is what I think should be annexed. Most all of this is pretty rural anyways, but more likely to get utilized if it was Mustang.

The red is Mustang now, green is what I'd propose.

Quote Originally Posted by stile99 View Post
    What they will miss out on is the people who would be living there who obviously would be coming into OKC and spending money at OTHER locations on a daily basis.
    That's not a very good argument unless you think it would only refer to people who were planning to move to the OKC area and decided not to because that area was not developed. It's likely they would just move somewhere else and continue to spend money in OKC.

Depends where 'somewhere else' is. If they bought a house THERE, I stand by my statement that they would be in OKC pretty much daily. Since they cannot buy a house THERE and must look elsewhere, if they land in, for example, Bethany, then yeah, not much change. But if they were to land in El Reno, then maybe the trips to OKC aren't quite as frequent. Wherever they do end up however, it doesn't change the original point of where we know they do not end up. The opportunity to gain income from the people there is lost if there are no people there.

Thread Information