Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Oklahoma SAE Fraternity Closed After Racist Video

Default Re: University of Oklahoma SAE Fraternity Closed After Racist Video

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Really? Punching someone who spit on you and screamed the N word in your face is more inexcusable than leading a bus in a vile, racist chant that CELEBRATES the N word? One has mitigating factors, the other does not. I think you have your school rivalry glasses on. Either that or your values are seriously ****ed up.
    I'll try to explain this another way.

Who was actually hurt by the chant? It's descpicable, ignorant and all that yes, but no one actually got hurt.
    Joe Mixon hit a girl so hard he literally rearranged her face permenantly.

Joe Mixon will be forgiven in the court of public of opinion.
    There are people who will never forgive this kid, no matter the apology tour he goes on.

This kid would have been better off driving home drunk and killing someone long term.

That's the point he's making.

Boren to hold press conference at 11AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    This has NOTHING to do with the frat situation but leave it to an OSU fan to bring it up. HIll and Mixon have different situations that led to their acts of violence and each had to pay for it. The SAE song isnt unique to OU's chapter and that is what's sad here. It's a basement song as Pete said and this OU chapter is paying the price for everyone of their members that have ever sang it, and rightfully so.
    You have no proof whatsoever that this song isn't unique to ou. Pete did not say anything of that sort. He said there are certain songs you sing when cleaning the basement that never see the light of day. Second phi alpha who was also a member at ou and said he had never heard the song. I was an SAE at osu and we never sang anything even remotely close to that, we actually knew what going viral was.

This is a case of a chapter (doubtful the entire chapter, although the brothers complancey in the matter is what got them) spinning out of control and suffering the consequences for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I'll try to explain this another way.

Who was actually hurt by the chant? It's descpicable, ignorant and all that yes, but no one actually got hurt.
    Joe Mixon hit a girl so hard he literally rearranged her face permenantly.

Joe Mixon will be forgiven in the court of public of opinion.
    There are people who will never forgive this kid, no matter the apology tour he goes on.

This kid would have been better off driving home drunk and killing someone long term.

That's the point he's making.
    If you are going to spout stuff at least get your facts strait. Mixon responded after he was asulted he open hand struck a girl and she fell and hit her face on a table. (Yes she had some sort of fracture likely similar to Russell Westbrook. As she post pics looking normal 2 weeks later )

The da said if guy guy there would be no charges. And ended up charging mixon with a class c misdemeanor. Ie the lowest charge there is. Same thing Blake Griffen was charged with for pissing in an alley.

2 state reps that wrote the law. Say gender is not in oklahoma law and the da applied the law incorrectly.

Was mixon in the wrong. OF COURSE HE WAS. but so was the girl. And this situation with the kids in the bus is much worse

Just FYI, in my fraternity's situation, I think our basement songs were unique to our chapter and believe the other chapters at other schools had their own or just didn't have any at all.

Default Re: Best Frat House

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Yep.

Second video has surfaced, too - https://instagram.com/p/z_ilNau41L/

And plenty of discussion about the SAE chapter at UT having a similar song with some lyrics changed. ATXthrowaway1212 comments on Just some utexas fraternity pledge rules

I don't think incidents like this are anywhere near as isolated as people want to think. SAE just got "caught". Total black eye for the University. Shameful.
    Did you not read this

Default Re: Best Frat House

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, I agree.

I've been talking to some of my frat brothers trying to take an honest account of our basement songs and none of us can remember a racial component. I can still remember pretty much all of them.
    Nor can I and I was in that SAE house four years ago!

This has NOTHING to do with the frat situation but leave it to an OSU fan to bring it up. HIll and Mixon have different situations that led to their acts of violence and each had to pay for it. The SAE song isnt unique to OU's chapter and that is what's sad here. It's a basement song as Pete said and this OU chapter is paying the price for everyone of their members that have ever sang it, and rightfully so.
    Again I said earlier, despite what Pete said, I was there in the Norman SAE house for 5 years and this was not a basement song we sang. This was brought in from somewhere else or created locally at some point within the last 3 years (which honestly makes in more unbelievable). Again after living in the SAE house in Norman for 4-5 years and being around it for a decade, I can honestly say that no basement song that contained racism was sung in our chapter while I was there.

9. Default Re: University of Oklahoma SAE Fraternity Closed After Racist Video

I have a question. Where are the students moving who got kicked out of the house? I realize people are angry and don't care but I was thinking, where are they supposed to go?

[QUOTE=gopokes88;874074]You have no proof whatsoever that this song isn't unique to ou. Pete did not say anything of that sort. He said there are certain songs you sing when cleaning the basement that never see the light of day. Second phi alpha who was also a member at ou and said he had never heard the song. I was an SAE at osu and we never sang anything even remotely close to that, we actually knew what going viral was.

This is a case of a chapter (doubtful the entire chapter, although the brothers complancey in the matter is what got them) spinning out of control and suffering the consequences for it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Like I said earlier, I've hoped the alumni board would hit the restart button before it came to something like this. I never thought the downfall would be a racist video, but things had been going downhill in many other respects over the last few years. All it takes to ruin a fraternity is one or two bad pledge classes...that is what has happened here. SAE was one of the best houses on campus up until about 2 years after I graduated.

We always were reminded as members and preached as alumni that one stupid move could bring the house down or at least embarrassed the chapter. They did us all one better and not only embarrassed the chapter and our alumni but the entire school, state, national fraternity, and the greek system.

You have no proof whatsoever that this song isn't unique to ou.
    https://twitter.com/MikeEvans25/stat...91659617193984

I was an SAE at a university in Texas from 2000-2004. The exact same chant was often used then. This is not isolated.
    http://i.imgur.com/l7ZiIkD.png

Let me say I believe PhiAlpha when he said that this was never used when he was in chapter. I knew and was on good terms with several SAE's; obviously they wouldn't have anything to do with me if they were cartoonish bigots. But if there's smoke there's fire. I graduated in 2009. Clearly something went off the rails in this house between now and then.

You don't fix a problem as serious as systematic racism by acting like this is something isolated when it is obviously not.

12. Default Re: University of Oklahoma SAE Fraternity Closed After Racist Video

"...no one actually got hurt..." SMH

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I have a question. Where are the students moving who got kicked out of the house? I realize people are angry and don't care but I was thinking, where are they supposed to go?
    The official statement by Boren says if they need help they can contact the Dean of Students.

Norman Transcript| Classifieds | Real Estate - Rentals

Yeah, seriously.

So if there aren't bone fractures, no one got hurt? Sigh.

+1

Several fraternity members live in houses around campus and others have family that live in the area so I would imagine that's the first step. When this happened to sigma chi after a member died in 2004, the housing board leased up a bunch of empty apartments and the students lived in them for the rest of the semester. This creates an interesting issue because not only is it the semester halfway over, but they won't be able to lease anything beyond three months since this is the second semester.

It really sucks for the students that had nothing to do with this. That was one bus out of 5-10 going back and forth to that party and despite what everyone seems to thing, there are many members that had nothing to do with this and will be punished just the same...really sucks for those guys.

I didn't watch the video but I saw the transcription of the words to the song. Granted, it's been a long, long time since I was a Greek at OU (I graduated in 1968!) but those words sound vaguely familiar. I can't guarantee it was an SAE song, when I heard it though.

Is this the 3 or 4th time the SAEs have been booted? When I was in schools, it seemed like that each fraternity had it's share of knuckleheads or knuckle-draggers, if you prefer But they each also had some responsible guys who kept the rest of them in line. That doesn't seem to hold true any more.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    https://twitter.com/MikeEvans25/stat...91659617193984

http://i.imgur.com/l7ZiIkD.png

Let me say I believe PhiAlpha when he said that this was never used when he was in chapter. I knew and was on good terms with several SAE's; obviously they wouldn't have anything to do with me if they were cartoonish bigots. But if there's smoke there's fire. I graduated in 2009. Clearly something went off the rails in this house between now and then.

You don't fix a problem as serious as systematic racism by acting like this is something isolated when it is obviously not.

One guy tweeting he heard it 15 years ago isn't hard evidence and a little zoom on the picture reveals that's not SAE its Fiji. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	10333

Quote Originally Posted by MsProudSooner View Post
    I didn't watch the video but I saw the transcription of the words to the song. Granted, it's been a long, long time since I was a Greek at OU (I graduated in 1968!) but those words sound vaguely familiar. I can't guarantee it was an SAE song, when I heard it though.

Is this the 3 or 4th time the SAEs have been booted? When I was in schools, it seemed like that each fraternity had it's share of knuckleheads or knuckle-draggers, if you prefer But they each also had some responsible guys who kept the rest of them in line. That doesn't seem to hold true any more.
    2 times in 100+ years

PhiAlpha I whole heartily believe your story and I didn't mean to come
    Off as attacking the house. As a student now at Ou I have friends in SAE and I know they are not the types for this. As well as even more friends in the OSU house and again they wouldn't be caught dead saying it. But the reality is from the reddit page you can tell this is not a song only to the Ou chapter. I was more upset somebody had to bring in mixon and hill in something unrelated to them. I looked at pledging SAE so I know this isn't that they are all bad people or a song taught to every member but more the sins of a few.

It's funny that other fraternities use the term 'basement song' because I think we were one of the few houses that actually had a basement and that was absolutely the only place we ever sang them.

This was at the old DU house just north of the Kappa house; there is now new construction there for a Kappa annex.

One guy tweeting he heard it 15 years ago isn't hard evidence and a little zoom on the picture reveals that's not SAE its Fiji. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	10333
    I guess you didn't read a few posts up where I linked reddit from a month ago discussing the song at texas that is close to the same

And anoth comment from a 3rd southern school saying the song exists there

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's funny that other fraternities use the term 'basement song' because I think we were one of the few houses that actually had a basement and that was absolutely the only place we ever sang them.

This was at the old DU house just north of the Kappa house; there is now new construction there for a Kappa annex.
    I seem to remember that sororities called them'closet' songs' when I was in school. But the subject of the songs was usually about the 'loose morals' of other sororities. The odd thing was that we all seemed to know 2 or 3 that belonged to other sororities.

PhiAlpha I whole heartily believe your story and I didn't mean to come
    Off as attacking the house. As a student now at Ou I have friends in SAE and I know they are not the types for this. As well as even more friends in the OSU house and again they wouldn't be caught dead saying it. But the reality is from the reddit page you can tell this is not a song only to the Ou chapter. I was more upset somebody had to bring in mixon and hill in something unrelated to them. I looked at pledging SAE so I know this isn't that they are all bad people or a song taught to every member but more the sins of a few.
    You might mention to them that having a confederate battle flag hanging in view of the public sends a bad message.

Thread Information