Widgets Magazine
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    That's a good thing! I just wish they had more acreage!
    If someone would build a true outdoor amphitheater in the OKC area (capable of holding 20k or so, covered seating etc) then the old zoo amp space can be added to the zoo, and new exhibits put there.

But I don't think that will ever happen....

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    If someone would build a true outdoor amphitheater in the OKC area (capable of holding 20k or so, covered seating etc) then the old zoo amp space can be added to the zoo, and new exhibits put there.

Would love something like Ascend Amphitheater in Nashville to be downtown. Holds 7k

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post

with how historic the zoo amp is there would be a lot of push back in demoing it ...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    with how historic the zoo amp is there would be a lot of push back in demoing it ...
    Maybe so, but if we had a newer, better alternative, those residents nearby would LOVE this news.

Seeing everyone talking about future zoo plans, I thought I’d share this info. This month’s zoo trust meeting included approval of a contract with Studio Hanson Roberts for a new master plan. (Destination Africa and the new sea lion and penguin habitats project are the last pieces of the current plan.) The plan will cover the next 10 years. Items below are pasted from the contract with my comments in italics.

The Master Plan will include the following components:

- Improved guest circulation.
    I hope they can figure this out. I love our zoo, but it’s a pain to make it to the elephants and rhinos and have to backtrack forever.

- Concepts for renovation of 4 existing habitats (Cats Habitat, Great Apes, Children’s Zoo, and Oklahoma Trails).
    I guess this makes sense based simply on exhibit age, but I can’t imagine what could be done to Oklahoma Trails. I love it just the way it is.

- Concepts for new habitats including a new reptile house, a new bird habitat and use of the southern portion of the Zoo property.
    A new herpetarium and bird habitat are sorely needed. The last one is the most interesting, though. This suggests they are looking at tearing down the Zoo Amphitheatre and claiming additional acreage for animal exhibits. I wouldn’t read too much into it at this point though. The last master plan contained this also, but clearly it was never implemented.

- Integration of concepts to enhance the botanic garden aspects of the property.
    I’m glad to see this. The garden aspect of the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden has seemed like an afterthought as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2000 View Post
    Seeing everyone talking about future zoo plans, I thought I’d share this info. This month’s zoo trust meeting included approval of a contract with Studio Hanson Roberts for a new master plan. (Destination Africa and the new sea lion and penguin habitats project are the last pieces of the current plan.) The plan will cover the next 10 years. Items below are pasted from the contract with my comments in italics.

The Master Plan will include the following components:

- Improved guest circulation.
    I hope they can figure this out. I love our zoo, but it’s a pain to make it to the elephants and rhinos and have to backtrack forever.

- Concepts for renovation of 4 existing habitats (Cats Habitat, Great Apes, Children’s Zoo, and Oklahoma Trails).
    I guess this makes sense based simply on exhibit age, but I can’t imagine what could be done to Oklahoma Trails. I love it just the way it is.

- Concepts for new habitats including a new reptile house, a new bird habitat and use of the southern portion of the Zoo property.
    A new herpetarium and bird habitat are sorely needed. The last one is the most interesting, though. This suggests they are looking at tearing down the Zoo Amphitheatre and claiming additional acreage for animal exhibits. I wouldn’t read too much into it at this point though. The last master plan contained this also, but clearly it was never implemented.

- Integration of concepts to enhance the botanic garden aspects of the property.
    I’m glad to see this. The garden aspect of the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden has seemed like an afterthought as of late.
    The first two kind of go together. They would need to rework pathways going through Oklahoma trails to support two directions of walking and link that up with Exhibition Asia so your not having to backtrack after visiting Asia and Great Ape Escape.

The new marine mammal exhibit is actually removing the butterfly garden. So your last point is definitely true.

Quote Originally Posted by caaokc View Post
    Would love something like Ascend Amphitheater in Nashville to be downtown. Holds 7k
    That might be nice but, since the Scissortail Park concert venue can accommodate more than that, it's unlikely to happen.,

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The first two kind of go together. They would need to rework pathways going through Oklahoma trails to support two directions of walking and link that up with Exhibition Asia so your not having to backtrack after visiting Asia and Great Ape Escape.

The new marine mammal exhibit is actually removing the butterfly garden. So your last point is definitely true.
    the "easy fix" (just want to and money ) is to link the path from the Red pandas back to the Big river cafe (start of the ok trails) this would not effect any habitat ...

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    That might be nice but, since the Scissortail Park concert venue can accommodate more than that, it's unlikely to happen.,
    also the future soccer stadium can accommodate at least 10,000 people

I was at the zoo on Monday morning with my daughter talking to an employee and I asked when they expected work to be done. She said the north part of construction (can't remember which exhibit, lemurs?) is expected to be open in the middle of March with the rest of early June. I would assume there would be some sort of ribbon cutting or something for that.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I was at the zoo on Monday morning with my daughter talking to an employee and I asked when they expected work to be done. She said the north part of construction (can't remember which exhibit, lemurs?) is expected to be open in the middle of March with the rest of early June. I would assume there would be some sort of ribbon cutting or something for that.
    I think the opening is tied to the ZooFriends gala on June 3.

The Oklahoma City Zoo has filed plans and work will soon start on a new and elaborate marine mammal habitat.

This new expansion will be located in the eastern section of the park overlooking Zoo Lake and encompass 3.5 acres including existing sites for the Zoo’s Noble Aquatic Center/Aquaticus, which has been closed to guests since 2017, and Pollinator Garden. With the Pollinator Garden being repurposed for this project, the Zoo is establishing additional pollinator gardens throughout its grounds to replenish habitat for native pollinators.

The facility will be home to the Zoo’s California sea lions and seals. This additional space will provide an expanded and enriched setting for these coastal animals with large rocky outcroppings and other design features to mimic their natural habitats.

There will also be a large indoor/outdoor penguin exhibit.

Design features of the improved marine mammal habitat include an outdoor amphitheater for educational presentations and caretaker chats, beach areas for the animals, “nose-to-nose” views of the sea lions and seals, an interactive sand area for kids, special event space and much more. There will be an 8-foot tall underwater viewing window offering opportunities to watch sea lions and seals swim and glide through the water.

Project plans also include reusing and repurposing select materials from existing sites into the new habitat.

Funding for the expansion was secured through the Zoo’s 1/8-of-a-cent sales tax accrual, approved by Oklahoma City citizens in 1990.

Looks awesome!

Got to take a tour through the new Expedition Africa area yesterday. Am far from a zoo expert but it seems like it's going to be pretty fantastic when it opens later this summer.

Looks pretty elaborate and the penguins will be a huge draw.

15. Default Re: OKC Zoo

This is a huge improvement!

Any idea what the goal date is for completion? Hopefully my kids are still the young enough to really enjoy it!

I bet demolishing old aquatic building will take a good amount of work.

17. Default Re: OKC Zoo

wonderful addition!

i know a lot of people always complain that our zoo always seems to be under construction. but it's so much better than it used to be, and is continuously one of the better zoos i visit.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i know a lot of people always complain that our zoo always seems to be under construction. but it's so much better than it used to be, and is continuously one of the better zoos i visit.
    When the massive project in the heart of the zoo opens this summer, that will go a long way towards having most of the complex be almost new.

This is really one of the last pieces and it should be super cool with all the hardscape.

20. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Looks awesome!

Got to take a tour through the new Expedition Africa area yesterday. Am far from a zoo expert but it seems like it's going to be pretty fantastic when it opens later this summer.
    I have a feeling that we were on the same tour, it looks pretty impressive!

The marine mammal project should be an incredible addition. Zoos know that penguins are a big draw, so a good number of them build small exhibits with 10 or 12 birds. Not here. The new habitat in OKC is designed for around 50! Can’t wait.

Also, the sea lion habitat has a lot of similarities with the one in Omaha (designed by the same consultant group.) The Omaha exhibit is arguably the best sea lion habitat in the country.

The third image shows the new administration building next to the under-construction planetarium.

I talked to a zoo worker a few weeks ago asking when they thought construction would be completed and they said by early June in time for all the summer camps.

Is the new Expedition Africa exhibit open yet? Going to the sip and stroll thing today and was hoping to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    Is the new Expedition Africa exhibit open yet? Going to the sip and stroll thing today and was hoping to see it.
    getting very close but not open until the end of the month

Thread Information