Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Don’t know how reliable the master plan is, but it looks like they are planning on moving the sea lions out and then hopefully rehabilitate the center itself.
    yes, last i had heard (which was i think last summer) this was still the plan. after the new sea lion exhibit was complete, going floor by floor with a complete overhaul of the center.

It looks like that entire side may become an aquatic area, which would be great. I can imagine a good mix of indoor and outdoor exhibits. I wonder if they are going to wait on the proposed aquarium or maybe end up incorporating it somehow before finalizing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKC-finalgraphics16.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	15302  

I wonder if it would make more sense to just demolish and build new? It was built around a large pool that doesn't really match the nature theme the zoo is trying to go for. Reminds me too much of the old bear and cat pens. Plus, the space is just awkward because of the design.

Sounds like it will be awhile before they touch it anyway.

With the new aquarium talk, it might make sense to replace the whole thing. If the sea lions are moved, maybe keep the shell and replace the entire interior?

With the new aquarium talk, it might make sense to replace the whole thing. If the sea lions are moved, maybe keep the shell and replace the entire interior?
    the zoo previously had no interest in putting the aquarium at the zoo ..

to make the numbers work it needs to be at a different location with a different ticket ..

The Zoo has funded the feasibility study that showed an aquarium would be successful, so that had me confused. But you’re right that they were thinking about a different location, that was my mixup there.

The plans were discussed in a Journal Record article earlier this year (via USNews):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...s-new-exhibits

Looks like the Farm area is just a tentative idea in case the amphitheater is closed in the future.

Kind of makes the lack of discussion to include a aquarium in Maps 4 somewhere in the city more disappointing when there is already a lack of headliner projects being discussed.

The zoo could make it work with a separate admission price if they really wanted to go that route. People would love it in the summer. The science museum Oklahoma charges special admission whenever there is a special exhibit in town. When the gross anatomy exhibit came into town, I paid museum admission and exhibit admission and didn't really tour the museum at that time.

The Zoo has funded the feasibility study that showed an aquarium would be successful, so that had me confused. But you’re right that they were thinking about a different location, that was my mixup there.
    yes they want to operate and run a aquarium but with a different ticket .. and they were looking downtown ...

(i gues one would also work in the advanture district .) but the big deal was that they need to be able to sell tickets to it seperatly ..

Looks like the Zoo is planning on building a new Admin space. Concepts look nice!

https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=15386

11. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Sooooo they can keep building these areas with convention size spaces and not so much actual animal habitats, but they can't afford to build an actual animal area in a small footprint huh? Most of the elephant area isnt actual habitat and the new Asia area is anything BUT animal habitat. The zoo's actually been chapping my rear a lot in the lat 15 years about how the go about their building in terms of their purpose. The purpose of a zoo is to expose people to the animals so they can raise awareness of those animals, thus creating a desire to preserve the animals. What we've really been seeing is a lot of fluff that doesn't serve a purpose.

The areas where the elephants are actually kept is great. But what's with the stadium section that never gets used? It's really a "show" that we didn't need to have. Why did we building a pavilion in the Asia area for meetings and events instead of creating space for animals to actually live in?

The hospital is a good example of something done right. It serve a purpose but allows people to see things going. on. Actually having people see what goes in to an examination or a surgery/etc makes people (and especially kids) start thinking of questions and spurs interest and education opportunities.

For an aquarium, the footprint is more dense than anything else on the property because of the water/cooling system. Save on exterior costs by making it multiple levels (like it is today). I just can't buy into the zoo saying they can't afford it given everything else they've done. They could crowd source the construction like they have the other structures/areas and sell of the sponsorship opportunities like they've done all over the park, so we're just looking at operating costs. I call bull.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    yes they want to operate and run a aquarium but with a different ticket .. and they were looking downtown ...

(i gues one would also work in the advanture district .) but the big deal was that they need to be able to sell tickets to it seperatly ..
    WAIT!! looking at the concept they are removing one of their attractions. The train!

Quote Originally Posted by Kemotblue View Post
    WAIT!! looking at the concept they are removing one of their attractions. The train!
    Agreed, this is going right where the train depot is isn't it? My kids are going to be devastated we can't go to the zoo without riding that train.

14. Default Re: OKC Zoo

ya, I don't understand that at all. why get rid of the train, if anything the train should be expanded to cover the whole zoo, and add in other ride attractions like an overhead gondola, rubber tire trolleys, and perhaps a ferris wheel - these all add to the zoo experience giving amusement along with animal education and conservation. They also provide welcome relief from having to walk the entire thing.

Absolutely NO REASON for that additional parking - why can't employees park in the lot like everybody else or they can expand the existing lot by the Science museum. This hneeds to e rethought - fast.

The building, it's nice though and likely necessary. I'd add a restaurant and community space/meeting rooms to it so that it's functional for the public as well as zoo employees.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    ya, I don't understand that at all. why get rid of the train, if anything the train should be expanded to cover the whole zoo, and add in other ride attractions like an overhead gondola, rubber tire trolleys, and perhaps a ferris wheel - these all add to the zoo experience giving amusement along with animal education and conservation. They also provide welcome relief from having to walk the entire thing.

Absolutely NO REASON for that additional parking - why can't employees park in the lot like everybody else or they can expand the existing lot by the Science museum. This hneeds to e rethought - fast.

The building, it's nice though and likely necessary. I'd add a restaurant and community space/meeting rooms to it so that it's functional for the public as well as zoo employees.
    the entire parking lot is often full and cars have to go across the street and park at the racetrack

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

the entire parking lot is often full and cars have to go across the street and park at the racetrack

Maybe there are plans to add a train back in after they do the Africa construction here in a few years. Something was going to change with the train regardless with that project. The question was whether they put a new one or remove it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by 89er View Post
    Looks like the Zoo is planning on building a new Admin space. Concepts look nice!

https://www.okc.gov/home/showdocument?id=15386
    What makes anyone think they’re doing away with the train? If you click on the link and look at the second diagram it shows removing some track but it also shows a new train depot east of the administrative building...

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    What makes anyone think they’re doing away with the train? If you click on the link and look at the second diagram it shows removing some track but it also shows a new train depot east of the administrative building...
    That actually reads "New Tram Depot" and I think it refers to their rubber-wheel tram they run.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    That actually reads "New Tram Depot" and I think it refers to their rubber-wheel tram they run.
    You’re correct... My eyes aren’t what they once were

New digs
    The zoo is building new habitats that will pave the way for a major new exhibit.
    BY MIGUEL RIOS
    Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden is getting several new expansions and renovations for animal habitats in anticipation of a major new exhibit. - OKC ZOO / PROVIDED

OKC Zoo / provided
    Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden is getting several new expansions and renovations for animal habitats in anticipation of a major new exhibit.

Several projects are in the works for Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden that officials say will give people renewed reasons for visiting. Apart from three new animal habitat construction projects, the zoo is in the early planning phase of a big new exhibit.

“We have what seems like a whole slew of projects that are in the planning phase right now,” said Dwight Lawson, the zoo’s executive director and CEO. “The biggest one is a new Africa exhibit that’s going to basically reinvent the central 12-plus acres of the zoo — so everything past the turnstile, the old pachyderm building, Island Life, up toward the giraffe yards.”

Planning and logistics for the Africa exhibit will take about another year before an additional year of construction starts. Lawson said it could be ready in spring 2022.

“The other project that we have planning right now is new habitats for our cheetah and wild dogs. They will go in Africa as well,” Lawson said. “The area where the wild dogs currently are will be repurposed before that for new and additional space for African painted dogs and cheetah and other medium-sized carnivores. It was the area that used to be called Dog Row. A lot of it has been taken down because it was getting pretty old. That should be up … maybe late summer next year if all goes well.”

Modern habitats

The zoo is also working to renovate habitats for its Galapagos tortoises, its condors and other amphibians.
    The new Galapagos tortoises exhibit has been under construction for a few months now and should be complete by the end of the year, according to Candice Rennels, director of public relations. The expansion costs approximately $700,000 and is taking place in the former Secret Garden area of the Children’s Zoo.

“It gives them a much better space, and it puts another animal exhibit kind of right up there at the front entry where there wasn’t much before. It also helps pave the way for the next really huge project that we have with Africa,” Lawson said. “The place where they currently are (Island Life) is going to be going away in the next 18 to 24 months, and we had a nice spot in the Children’s Zoo that was underutilized and nice and sunny, which is perfect for them. So it’s a better spot for them and will activate that space.”

The zoo has had Galapagos tortoises in its animal population since 1966. Currently, the zoo is home to one male and three female tortoises ranging from 70 to 110 years old. Through the Zoo’s Wild Encounter Program, Rennels said guests will have an opportunity to connect with the tortoises and learn about them from their caretakers.

Initial construction has begun on a new Andean condor exhibit and habitat. Lawson said it could be completed by late spring or early summer of next year. He said Works Progress Administration built grottos in the ’20s and ’30s that have been walled off from public view for about two decades.

“It’s another reason to visit. It’s better homes for a lot of these incredible
    animals that we have.”
    —Dwight Lawson

“I’m excited about this one,” Lawson said. “We’re going to open that area up and basically repurpose a couple for those grottos for a couple large aviaries for Andean condors and a few other bird species. It’d be nice to have that [mix of] history and something new and some new homes for the condors. We used to have those guys down there in the reptile house in some old bird cages that were actually the only original animal habitat structure or enclosure from when the zoo was at Wheeler Park. They actually moved that cage up here, and it was actually a little bit past its useful lifespan, so we got rid of it a year or two ago and have been working toward this new home for condors.”

The 10,000 square-foot habitat will provide room for condors to fly in a native landscape that includes viewing opportunities for guests. The expansion costs a little more than $1 million and will move condors to the area west of the zoo’s Noble Aquatic Center. It will also feature a dedicated azalea garden space that Lawson said was supported by a longtime donor.

The zoo’s Galapagos tortoises are getting a new habitat just inside the zoo’s entrance that should be completed by the end of the year. - OKC ZOO / PROVIDED

The zoo’s Galapagos tortoises are getting a new habitat just inside the zoo’s entrance that should be completed by the end of the year.
    Next month, construction begins on a new amphibian plaza. Lawson said that will be a series of wetland features and landscaping to go in front of the current reptile house.

“We’re going to put in some water features that will feature turtles and amphibians and things like that that people can kind of walk through and around,” he said. “That’ll tie in nicely to the landscaping that we upgraded with the picnic area that opened a year and a half ago. … That one should be done in the spring. It’s not as complicated.”

The plaza will also feature water gardens that extend from outside the Herpetarium to the picnic area. The project will cost $693,000.

In addition to habitats for its animal population, the zoo is also in the early stages of building a new administration building and renovating the existing one. Construction is estimated to cost $6 million.

“Most of the administration services of the zoo have been living in the basement of the science museum forever. We’ve outgrown that space, so what we’re looking to do is build some new office space,” Lawson said. “Then the space that we currently occupy in the bottom of the science museum we want to convert to additional space for education programs. They’re kind of busting at the seams as well, so it’s a one-two punch to get them some additional room. … This will be a nice, separate environment to place that.”

Lawson said the new exhibits will be good for animals and attractive for visitors while providing enhanced educational experiences for everyone involved.

“It’s another reason to visit. It’s better homes for a lot of these incredible animals that we have. Our standards of care continue to evolve and improve, so we’re always anxious to keep up with that,” Lawson said. “The situation for animals out in the wild and nature isn’t getting any better, so I think there’s more and more reason to get people in here and tell them that story and give them a compelling experience as part of that.”

While temperatures in Oklahoma City continue dropping, officials still encourage people to visit the zoo. Some animals need to remain inside, but other species are comfortable in the colder temperatures.

November is also Military Appreciation Month, which means free admission all month for active duty or retired veterans of the military, National Guard and Reserves with military ID. Up to four immediate family members also get 50 percent off general admission.

Visit okczoo.org.

Anyone been to the OKC zoo since they announced a limited re-opening? We received an email talking about some sort of reservation required, members only limited opening. Wondering how limited of an experience it is. Not really up for listening to kids whine about not being able to do this or that. Any word on when they open up fully? Also, typically in May is when Mathis Brothers does their Zoo Friends memberships. I called MB and they said they had not received any word on when or if that would happen this year. They said it's up to the zoo. I really hope they do. I doubt we'd buy a membership this year otherwise.

23. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Yes, I went Saturday. It was wonderful. It's a one-way 2.5-mile walk through the park. You see the majority of the animals. The Herpetarium, Great EscApe, and animal hospital were closed. My family really enjoyed it. The zoo did a great job keeping everyone separated.

24. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    Yes, I went Saturday. It was wonderful. It's a one-way 2.5-mile walk through the park. You see the majority of the animals. The Herpetarium, Great EscApe, and animal hospital were closed. My family really enjoyed it. The zoo did a great job keeping everyone separated.
    Is it guided or self guided? Meaning can you loiter at one spot or do they make you keep moving along to flow people in and out of exhibits? Thanks.

Later this year, they're supposed to be ready to move the zoo to a new location near Thackerville and the casino, apparently to make it more convenient for Texas visitors.

Thread Information