Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 28 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Okc zoo!

Holy crap! Have you been to the zoo lately?!?!? It's amazing! We truly have a world class zoo! The new elephant habitat is HHHUUGGGGEEE!! I think its currently the largest elephant exhibit in North America and I wouldn't doubt that for a second! The elephants seemed happier too. One of them kept banging their head against a big rock... I don't know what that was about. Maybe it was the pregnant one... That would explain it lol.

Did anyone happen to go today by chance? It was the busiest I have ever seen it! People were parking in the grass across the street by Remington Park. There were DROVES of people.. We were literally elbow to elbow the entire time and surprisingly it was still really fun!

Default Re: Okc zoo!

I haven't been to see the elephants yet, but it is a pretty nice zoo. Really, everything except for the aquatic center and the old aviary building is modern and clean!

3. Default Re: Okc zoo!

I really want to go, but we are waiting for Spring Break to be over and then we are going to go on a week day morning. Anyone know if Mathis Brothers still does cheap family year long memberships?

I love our zoo.

5. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I really want to go, but we are waiting for Spring Break to be over and then we are going to go on a week day morning. Anyone know if Mathis Brothers still does cheap family year long memberships?
    Or you can wait until Mother's Day or Father's Day to have one free admission, unless money is not an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Or you can wait until Mother's Day or Father's Day to have one free admission, unless money is not an issue for you.
    It's like 8 bucks a person... Anyone can afford to go to the zoo..

7. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    It's like 8 bucks a person... Anyone can afford to go to the zoo..
    8 bux is good for something to drink and eat. :-)

8. Default Re: Okc zoo!

The worst time to go is during a holiday (Spring Break) or a promotion (free admission). Early morning during the week nobody is there and the animals are more active.

9. Default Re: Okc zoo!

We went to one of the pre-opening evenings. The new elephant habitat is amazing. With the newest improvements (elephant habitat, Oklahoma trails and childrens zoo) the zoo has really changed in the past few years. A really world class zoo.

Yes it is the largest elephant habitat out of all the zoos in the united states.. Also they are currently building the asia district which will be the largest project the zoo has ever done. I can not wait till the whole district is complete 2013

It should be top notch, the zoo gets a big chunk of our tax dollars. Same way with the metro library system. Neither are short on money right now.

I can not believe how resonable priced our zoo is compared to others around the nation.. wonder why?

13. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    It should be top notch, the zoo gets a big chunk of our tax dollars. Same way with the metro library system. Neither are short on money right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I can not believe how reasonable priced our zoo is compared to others around the nation.. wonder why?
    Yes, the Zoo is funded partly by a 1/8 cent sales tax approved by voters in 1990. If it ever expires I would gladly vote/campaign for an extension. I can think of much worse places for my tax dollars to go.

14. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSoftail View Post
    Yes, the Zoo is funded partly by a 1/8 cent sales tax approved by voters in 1990. If it ever expires I would gladly vote/campaign for an extension. I can think of much worse places for my tax dollars to go.
    And the food/drinks we pay up there, they make a whole bunch of profits from that, but to feed all the animals is quite expensive. So, yeah, tax dollars to pay for remodels and improvements is a plus.

Lord Helmet Guest

One of the few things I miss about OKC since moving to Denver is the OKC Zoo. We have a great zoo in Denver, but its nothing compared to the one in OKC, and its twice as expensive.

They posted a grand plan of renovations on their website a week or so ago, and good news is the Aquatics center gets rebuilt in 2019!

yeah, i posted that gran plan link a week or so ago on another thread.. it would be nice to sea likea sea world type aquatic area with penguins and all etc..

18. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    yeah, i posted that gran plan link a week or so ago on another thread.. it would be nice to sea likea sea world type aquatic area with penguins and all etc..
    And that black/white whale.

And that black/white whale.
    That's an Orca or "Killer Whale."

20. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by USG'60 View Post
    That's an Orca or "Killer Whale."
    I know. Calling them a "killer" is just mean. :-(

We have a great zoo. I fell in love with the zoo back in the early '70's when we used to go to the zoo because it was dirt-cheap. It makes me very happy to see the zoo growing and doing well.

Speaking of the zoo does anyone have any pictures or know of a place that has images of the zoo throughout the years? This might be a good thread for the nostalgia forum but, I'd love to see photos of the late 80's early 90's zoo that I grew up with that had the bear exhibits and monkey island and ski lifts throughout the park.

23. Default Re: Okc zoo!

I don't have any pictures of way back then, but I do have some of the recent years.

I dunno where the pictures for 2010 taken on Mother's Day. I believe that year was with my phone, so its on my computer somewhere, but I never got around to putting it together and upload.

On the 2nd video, the date on the camera was in the wrong order.

OKC does already have an excellent zoo facility. That said, it will hopefully continue to improve over time.

a couple years ago my ex-brother-in-law, who is hard to please visited from california, his kids told him they wanted to take him to the okc zoo. This man is hardly amazed by anything, but he really really was surprised with our zoo, he wasnt expecting to see all he seen. He said it is probably the best zoo he has been to and he also thought is was odd that it was so cheap to get in.. I wish they would build a train to go around most of the park, or a new train to go around the large asia district they are planning, there is so much the zoo is doing right now, i can not wait.. Does anybody know what the okc zoo is ranked now, it use to be top 10, then i heard it was top 5, adoes anybody know for sure what the ranking is now?

Thread Information