Widgets Magazine
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728 LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Just out of curiosity, how does the tax support for the OKC compare to other cities like Denver? My understanding is that we put a lot more into the zoo, as a fund, than the average bear (pun). I do not have any firm financial information to make a claim, but i'm wondering if we really would have to charge separately or if it would be able to just work like the zoo does today where the "experiences" are what cost extra. That crap drives me bonkers, but i understand. Controlling the expense of feed/etc for things like that really requires a paywall.

And I'll say again, the ability to go vertical is what would make it work on the current grounds. We could also claim a bit of the lake back for land if we really needed to. I'm just saying that there are plenty of ways this could work, if they really had an appetite to do so.....assuming the funding works.

What i've become a bit less of a fan of the zoo in is the fact that often you are unable to actually see a lot of the animals. I understand that the habitats are far superior for the animals. But my point is that if the people can't see the animals, it's harder for them to be appreciated. If you can't make a person connect in some way, then the interest in conservation isn't as strong. They don't need to be performing or anything like that, but I can't tell you how many times i've been through some of the Oklahoma Trails section and just have to assume there's a live animal in there because after a few years, i've never seen it actually moving around.

2. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what if i told you that the zoo owns all the land that remington park sits on ..
    That's an interesting twist. I bet there's a ton of excess parking for current Remington needs.

But l still think a close-to-downtown location would be better for overall attendance.

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    That's an interesting twist. I bet there's a ton of excess parking for current Remington needs.

But l still think a close-to-downtown location would be better for overall attendance.
    just wanted to point it out and technically it is the OKC ZOO trust that owns the land and Remington has a very long term lease on it ..

They are being very methodical with this demolition as they are planning to reuse as much of the building materials as possible.

I suspect once they remove most of the wood roof, they'll get busy with the heavy equipment.

They started aggressively demolishing the old marine building now. Should be gone in a couple of weeks.

The zoo has ended winter hours early and is back to being open 9-5 daily.

I went yesterday for the first time in years. As others have mentioned, Expedition Africa is now completely open although there is a small amount of work still going on. It's incredibly impressive and it was good to see they preserved the Pachyderm Building even though the hippos are no longer there and a big chunk of it is now event space.

I hadn't seen about half of the new exhibits and it's all incredibly impressive. It seems that unless you have kids or grandkids, you tend to overlook the zoo but it is a tremendous asset for OKC.

8. Default Re: OKC Zoo

ZooFriends pass is still the best deal in town. I have the large family plan and named my mother. She just goes on days off to walk for exercise.

Did MIdwest Wrecking get a call to get a quick demo on another building somewhere? Noticing there is no heavy equipment in Pete's photos so they took the equipment with them when they left the jobsite.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

While I am excited to see the new exhibits, especially penguins, so many of my 90's childhood memories happened in that place.

Beautiful Pics !

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Dang. Bye bye Aquaticus.

Wow, look at those parking lots, I wonder why this isn't a developed area in OKC, somebody must take advantage of that massive traffic.

Nice photos Pete. I assume these pics were taken this past Saturday or Sunday? I took my kids to the Zoo on Sunday afternoon and was blown away by attendance. the parking spilled over to Remington and there were so many cars it looked like it was horse racing season.

The new Africa exhibit will be really neat once they finish the final touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    Wow, look at those parking lots, I wonder why this isn't a developed area in OKC, somebody must take advantage of that massive traffic.
    Its traffic with a specific destination in mind. Zoo is always packed whenever we have great weather.

So, KATTFEST was announced for 7/30/2024 with Shinedown and Theory of a Deadman at the Lucky Star Amphitheater. This confirms that the Zoo isn't booking any shows this summer as it has been traditionally held there.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    So, KATTFEST was announced for 7/30/2024 with Shinedown and Theory of a Deadman at the Lucky Star Amphitheater. This confirms that the Zoo isn't booking any shows this summer as it has been traditionally held there.
    first zoo amp show with the new operator should be in august time frame ..

Blog Entries

Northeast OKC Re: OKC Zoo

Don't know if this is the right place to put this video. . .

Press release:

EXPEDITION AFRICA, OKC ZOO’S LARGEST EVER EXPANSION, NOW COMPLETE
    With 12 acres of new habitats for more than 60 species, renovations, and experiences, the OKC Zoo welcomes guests to enjoy an exciting new adventure.

Africa, a dream destination for wildlife lovers, is now a reality for visitors to the Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden with the completion of its new Expedition Africa habitat expansion.

Presented by Inasmuch Foundation, Expedition Africa is the OKC Zoo’s largest ever expansion at more than 12 acres in size, encompassing new habitats, building renovations, and enticing features that elevate the guest experience like never before.

Foremost among the expansion is room for more than sixty species native to the African continent. The spaces are intricately crafted to provide giraffes, lemurs, wildebeest, hyenas, and more with welcoming homes that mimic their native habitats.

“One of the most exciting parts of Expedition Africa is that we’re able to provide natural enclosures for the members of our animal family,” said Dr. Dwight Lawson, OKC Zoo’s executive director and CEO. “It’s another vital step in our mission to connect people with wildlife and wild places all around the world.”

Expedition Africa was a truly collaborative effort, bringing together individual and corporate donors, said Oklahoma Zoological Society Executive Director Mandy Heaps.

“Since its inclusion in the Zoo’s strategic plan in 2018, so many groups inside and outside the Zoo worked in concert to make this dream a reality,” she said. “Seeing the fruition of the effort and giving of people across the state and around the world to make this happen is inspiring.”

Among the new expansion’s standout features is the renovated Love’s Pachyderm Building, home to some of the Zoo’s most captivating residents. The building, which joined the National Register of Historic Places in 2021, retains its Midcentury Modern architecture with an enhanced and visitor-friendly interior housing African lungfish, dwarf mongooses, naked mole rats and more. It also includes a gorgeous new events space for meetings, parties, and more. There’s also a new play area behind the building: Pachyderm Heights Adventure Tower, including a rock-climbing wall and a slide, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Oklahoma City. The building was originally constructed in the 1960s to house the Zoo’s elephants, rhinoceroses and hippopotamuses.

Outside the Pachyderm Building is a new savanna overlook where the Zoo’s herd of giraffes mingle with ostriches, Nile lechwe and Common eland. The savanna area connects to the newly constructed state-of-the-art giraffe barn, allowing visitors to see the herd all year round. One of the premiere attractions for guests, the giraffe barn not only shelters the herd when the weather is unpleasant, it makes the perpetually popular giraffe feedings available no matter the season.

The expansion includes new covered areas for guests to sit and relax in the shade while enjoying views of hyenas and African painted dogs as well as the habitat’s original sculpture, The Baobab: Home, Story and Survival on the Savannah. Baobab trees are often called the “Tree of Life” because they can live to be more than 1,000 years old.

Surrounding The Baobab sculpture are a new dining area and restaurant, Savannah Snacks, as well as the Africa-themed Baobab Gifts with cuddly stuffed versions of Expedition Africa’s residents.

“Every facet of Expedition Africa has been meticulously researched, planned, and executed to continue making this the world-class zoo Oklahomans have come to expect,” Lawson said. “This expansion redefines the OKC Zoo experience and we cannot wait to share it with all of you.”

The $35 million Expedition Africa expansion was designed by PGAV Destinations, St. Louis, Missouri and constructed by Timberlake Construction, Oklahoma City. It was funded through private donations, Historic Tax Credits, and a dedicated 1/8-of-a-cent sales tax, approved by Oklahoma City voters in 1990.

An official ribbon-cutting ceremony is set for March 26, 2024 at 1p.m. at the OKC Zoo.

Explore the Zoo’s new Expedition Africa today, a visit worthWILD! The Oklahoma City Zoo is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily with the last entry no later than 4 p.m. Purchase advance Zoo admission tickets at okczoo.org/tickets and avoid the entry lines. Located at the crossroads of I-44 and I-35, the OKC Zoo is a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the American Alliance of Museums, and Oklahoma City’s Adventure District. Zoo admission is $16 for adults and $13 for children ages 3-11 and seniors ages 65 and over. Children two and under are admitted free. Membership has its perks! As a ZOOfriends member of the Oklahoma City Zoo, enjoy free admission all year-long, plus many additional benefits and discounts. You will also be supporting the Zoo’s animal family, education programming and conservation initiatives both locally and globally. Join or renew today at www.okczoo.org/membership.

21. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I'll be there this weekend to check it out. Got my ZooFriends membership renewed.

Nice, we look to be going soon as well, thanks for the updated. OKC Zoo is one of top in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    ZooFriends pass is still the best deal in town. I have the large family plan and named my mother. She just goes on days off to walk for exercise.
    This is such a good idea. I'm going to mention this to my mom who is nearing retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Nice, we look to be going soon as well, thanks for the updated. OKC Zoo is one of top in the nation.
    It really is. Funny enough, when I was a child, we visited the San Diego Zoo, having heard how great it was. I wasn't all that impressed. OKC Zoo makes good use of its dedicated funding source.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I'll be there this weekend to check it out. Got my ZooFriends membership renewed.
    do you know if there is a way to renew it online (because i need to renew mine).. or do you have to do in in person?

Thread Information