Widgets Magazine
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    getting very close but not open until the end of the month
    Dang that's a bummer, didn't see anything on their site/socials but was hoping they were late updating it after the Gala.

getting very close but not open until the end of the month
    I've asked them about this several times and they refuse to give me a date -- just "summer".

They like to tightly control the media and I don't think they are very happy that I keep getting out in front of their PR, such as with the aquarium and the penguin exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've asked them about this several times and they refuse to give me a date -- just "summer".

They like to tightly control the media and I don't think they are very happy that I keep getting out in front of their PR, such as with the aquarium and the penguin exhibit.
    As we all know with construction it is always fluid. And hard to get a firm date especially when lots of this deals with weather and then at the end Animal transit.

I’m sure they don’t want to continue to give soft dates and then have to continue to push them back.

As we all know with construction it is always fluid. And hard to get a firm date especially when lots of this deals with weather and then at the end Animal transit.

I’m sure they don’t want to continue to give soft dates and then have to continue to push them back.
    They won't even answer my direct questions.

One email went completely unanswered and then after trading texts, they stopped responding after another question.

Believe me, given what I do, I understand the realities of completion dates better than anyone. But they have outright ignored me after an initial polite non-answer.

Blog Entries

Northeast OKC Re: OKC Zoo

You would think that's the least they could do is attempt to meet their own deadlines.

Let's not forget the dedicated 1/8 penny sales tax the Zoo receives to fund the zoo. It's not uncommon for there
    to be delays with projects, the tax payers deserve transparency and updates.

I agree the secrecy has been super annoying. They did slip in a Facebook post on May 28, stating that Expedition Africa is “slated to open this June.”

https://www.facebook.com/10006732160...ibextid=afzh1R

7. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Got a Curbside Chronicle today, which features a free zoo ticket and an article about the zoo. Article in there mentions a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Expedition Africa on September 22nd.

8. Default Re: OKC Zoo

It’s been so close the last couple times I’ve been there. I’m ready for it

Nothing like a press release at 6PM on a Friday to try and bury bad news:

The Oklahoma City Zoo and Botanical Garden announces that it will be delaying the official opening of Expedition Africa until March 2024. Despite the OKC Zoo’s best efforts to complete the 12-acre expansion for an opening celebration on Thursday, October 12, the Zoo has made the difficult decision to delay the official opening until next spring. This fall, as buildings and habitats become completed and animals have acclimated to their new environments, the OKC Zoo will begin opening select pathways and buildings in Expedition Africa for guests to discover.

Good grief. Their own website still has a page promoting when it was supposed to open Spring 2023. https://www.okczoo.org/habitats#collection=1616

11. Default Re: OKC Zoo

My kid works there and they have had some issues that arose unexpectedly (construction stuff) and worry about the honey badger area.

How long are they going keep pulling the "getting acclimated" card? I bet the Giraffs are getting tired of staying in a barn.

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    How long are they going keep pulling the "getting acclimated" card? I bet the Giraffs are getting tired of staying in a barn.
    The giraffes were out thurs.

Demolition has begun on the old Acquaticus facility to make way for a new and elaborate marine mammal habitat which will feature a large indoor/outdoor penguin exhibit.

The Oklahoma City Zoo has filed plans and work will soon start on a new and elaborate marine mammal habitat which will include a large indoor/outdoor penguin exhibit.

This new expansion will be located in the eastern section of the park overlooking Zoo Lake and encompass 3.5 acres including existing sites for the Zoo’s Noble Aquatic Center/Aquaticus and Pollinator Garden. With the Pollinator Garden being repurposed for this project, the Zoo is establishing additional pollinator gardens throughout its grounds to replenish habitat for native pollinators.

The facility will be home to the Zoo’s California sea lions and seals. This additional space will provide an expanded and enriched setting for these coastal animals with large rocky outcroppings and other design features to mimic their natural habitats.

Design features of the improved marine mammal habitat include an outdoor amphitheater for educational presentations and caretaker chats, beach areas for the animals, “nose-to-nose” views of the sea lions and seals, an interactive sand area for kids, special event space, and much more. There will be an 8-foot tall underwater viewing window offering opportunities to watch sea lions and seals swim and glide through the water.

Project plans also include reusing and repurposing select materials from existing sites into the new habitat.

Funding for the expansion was secured through the Zoo’s 1/8-of-a-cent sales tax accrual, approved by Oklahoma City citizens in 1990.

Penguins!!! Fantastic! Hopefully this one actually adheres to its timeline better than Expedition Africa

Looks like they are recycling the planks from the roof? I wouldn't expect them to be that precise with the rest of the structure.

I guess they just ran out of time with Expedition Africa? It all looks done, but most animals are not out yet, I'm guessing they want them to fully explore when the temperatures are more like their native habitat. I would have thought you could at least go inside giraffe barn. Shrug

Looks like they are recycling the planks from the roof? I wouldn't expect them to be that precise with the rest of the structure.

I guess they just ran out of time with Expedition Africa? It all looks done, but most animals are not out yet, I'm guessing they want them to fully explore when the temperatures are more like their native habitat. I would have thought you could at least go inside giraffe barn. Shrug
    expedition africa is largely fully open they just wanted the "grand opening" to be during good weather not entering the winter months ..

expedition africa is largely fully open they just wanted the "grand opening" to be during good weather not entering the winter months ..
    I just went Friday. Paths are open, but Giraff barn was closed. Didn't really see any animals out, but it was also cold.

I just went Friday. Paths are open, but Giraff barn was closed. Didn't really see any animals out, but it was also cold.
    yep lots of those animals have a temp limit ..

20. Default Re: OKC Zoo

What? It's not below freezing on the savannah? LOL.

If we're getting penguins, I'll be very happy. But i do feel like it's a bit of a cheap version of an aquarium. Maybe that's the idea while they figure out if they are going to build one elsewhere where they can earn an extra ticket price on admission? My hope is that once the old building is gone, they have room to add on to the new aquarium to make it a real destination besides a few water tanks. We really lack a GOOD aquarium in the state (the Jenks one sucks....and it sucks hard). So my hope is on the OKC zoo will eventually do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    What? It's not below freezing on the savannah? LOL.

If we're getting penguins, I'll be very happy. But i do feel like it's a bit of a cheap version of an aquarium. Maybe that's the idea while they figure out if they are going to build one elsewhere where they can earn an extra ticket price on admission? My hope is that once the old building is gone, they have room to add on to the new aquarium to make it a real destination besides a few water tanks. We really lack a GOOD aquarium in the state (the Jenks one sucks....and it sucks hard). So my hope is on the OKC zoo will eventually do it right.
    the new okc aquarium will not be on the okc zoo site .. that is not even under discussion ..

this simply gives okc zoo a new modern sea lion habitat and makes room for other animals

"Marine mammal habitat". Even with the old building the aquarium aspect of it was secondary to being home to sea lions, seals, and formally dolphins. This new building will be a great replacement from that concrete bunker.

Like almost everything else in this world, much more is known about habitats that are well-suited for animals and the zoo is slowly but surely replacing every single area with all that in mind.

I can still see that poor, traumatized polar bear pacing back and forth in one of those narrow concrete cells (that will be removed for this project).

One thing that I thought was a nice bonus to Exhibition African, is that you can now see the back side of of one of the lion yards from the path leading up to the Giraffes.

25. Default Re: OKC Zoo

the new okc aquarium will not be on the okc zoo site .. that is not even under discussion ..

this simply gives okc zoo a new modern sea lion habitat and makes room for other animals
    I know that's part of what had previously been discussed, but that plan died. So i would say don't count it being on the actual zoo grounds out until you see it actually open somewhere else.

Thread Information