Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: OKC Zoo

The Lion Overlook was specifically designed to give the cats the option to get away from people and find alone time if they wanted to, OR to interact with people and be visible. A number of years ago animal biologists began to understand that being displayed 100% of the time with no ability to withdraw was bad for the psychology of certain animals, such as big cats. Creating a habitat that allows cats to interact with the public mostly on their own terms was precisely the purpose of the Lion Overlook.

If you miss seeing them one day and feel like you didn't get your money's worth I would recommend joining Zoofriends. For only $45 bucks ($65 for families) you can make unlimited visits to the zoo in a year. Your lion view-per-dollar ratio should go up pretty dramatically, if that is what's important to you.

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The Lion Overlook was specifically designed to give the cats the option to get away from people and find alone time if they wanted to, OR to interact with people and be visible. A number of years ago animal biologists began to understand that being displayed 100% of the time with no ability to withdraw was bad for the psychology of certain animals, such as big cats. Creating a habitat that allows cats to interact with the public mostly on their own terms was precisely the purpose of the Lion Overlook.

If you miss seeing them one day and feel like you didn't get your money's worth I would recommend joining Zoofriends. For only $45 bucks ($65 for families) you can make unlimited visits to the zoo in a year. Your lion view-per-dollar ratio should go up pretty dramatically, if that is what's important to you.
    . .and thru the end of March, it's $5 off the regular membership. . Family Plus is a super deal. . .$30 gift card good for concession, rides, gift shop brings the family down to $60. Two adults, up to 5 kids, one extra guest, plus $$30 gift card for $90. . . sign up on line. Ask me how I know !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    The Zoo today... disappointing. When will they revamp the old areas of the zoo.. seems they would fair better to fix up and make new the older areas before expanding more.
    Last summer when I was in England I took my kids to the London Zoo. I figured a city of its size would have a pretty killer zoo. But I was a bit disappointed in its scale and overall quality. I have no issue saying OKC's is a better experience. I've been to close to 20 zoos in 3 countries and many states and while I wouldn't dare say ours is the best, I think we hold our own just fine against most zoos.

4. Default Re: OKC Zoo

And they won the Visionary Award from OKC Beautiful today.

Ours is definitely better than the DC Zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Last summer when I was in England I took my kids to the London Zoo. I figured a city of its size would have a pretty killer zoo. But I was a bit disappointed in its scale and overall quality. I have no issue saying OKC's is a better experience. I've been to close to 20 zoos in 3 countries and many states and while I wouldn't dare say ours is the best, I think we hold our own just fine against most zoos.
    I went to the London Zoo last summer as well. It was just kind of a side adventure since it was only a few blocks from where I was staying, but I was fairly underwhelmed also given the size of London and how small the zoo itself was. I certainly was expecting better and will agree without uncertainty that OKC's is a better experience.

I guess there is going to be a lot of drama about taking their elephants now.

Group files federal lawsuit in effort to stop elephant move | News OK

Blog Entries

I wonder if we'll rename them when they get here and retain the rights to their history. And I think the Seattlites should start video-bombing news crews covering the story with signs that say "save our elephants".

i removed several posts that had devolved into nothing more than pointless bickering. i never would have realized that the zoo elicited so much rage in folks.

if i happened to miss a few posts, please report them so that they can be cleaned up. -M

Blog Entries

What's the big deal about the elephants; does it have more to do with the welfare of Bamboo & Chai or the possibility that Oklahoma City will pluck a morsel of an attraction from the 'Emerald City?'

A 'TAIL' of TWO CITIES...
    Can you image what will happen when Seattle gets an NBA expansion or relocation franchise; especially if they play the Oklahoma City Thunder 3-4 times a year. This will be an NBA made-for-TV blood-thirsty rivalry.

Went to the zoo today, it was completely packed. My only complaint was all the Rascal scooters..........(The old part of the zoo seemed kind of sad in comparison with the newer parts such as the wonderful elephant exhibit.)
    (EDIT: I understand some people do need these scooters, but the wideness of their use has me wondering.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 008.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	9.23 MB 
ID:	10542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 031.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	11.49 MB 
ID:	10543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 082.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	8.57 MB 
ID:	10544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 122.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	11.50 MB 
ID:	10545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 010.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.13 MB 
ID:	10546

13. Default Re: OKC Zoo

Most of the older areas are slated for pretty radical makeovers on their long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess there is going to be a lot of drama about taking their elephants now.

Group files federal lawsuit in effort to stop elephant move | News OK
    They had been threatening to do so before OKC was even decided to be the destination, they planned on doing so if any other zoo was chose.

Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Went to the zoo today, it was completely packed. My only complaint was all the Rascal scooters..........(The old part of the zoo seemed kind of sad in comparison with the newer parts such as the wonderful elephant exhibit.)
    (EDIT: I understand some people do need these scooters, but the wideness of their use has me wondering.)

Name:	Zoo 008.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	9.23 MB 
ID:	10542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 031.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	11.49 MB 
ID:	10543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 082.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	8.57 MB 
ID:	10544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 122.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	11.50 MB 
ID:	10545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 010.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.13 MB 
ID:	10546
    People are too fat. No surprise here.

Blog Entries

U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman
    King County Superior Court.

Seattle has threatened and settled lawsuit before. Would love to see this in U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman's King County Superior Court.

What's best for the welfare of Bamboo & Chai?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman
    King County Superior Court.

Seattle has threatened and settled lawsuit before. Would love to see this in U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman's King County Superior Court.

What's best for the welfare of Bamboo & Chai?
    The elephant exhibit is amazing. They're making a controversy just to make a controversy. (Bob Barker)

Name:	Zoo 094.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	8.62 MB 
ID:	10563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 101.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	11.36 MB 
ID:	10564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 118.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	10.80 MB 
ID:	10565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 105.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	11.27 MB 
ID:	10566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 104.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	10.27 MB 
ID:	10567

Is the snake exhibit slated to be redone? I also wish they'd make bigger cages for the snakes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is the snake exhibit slated to be redone? I also wish they'd make bigger cages for the snakes as well.
    Yes, the current food court will eventually be turned into the new Herpetarium. This would probably after the new giraffe restaurant and habitat is built at some point in the future. It sounds like the zoo pushed the exhibition Asia attraction ahead of these two things so who knows when it will be done.

Blog Entries

The elephant exhibit is amazing. They're making a controversy just to make a controversy. (Bob Barker)

Name:	Zoo 094.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	8.62 MB 
ID:	10563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 101.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	11.36 MB 
ID:	10564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 118.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	10.80 MB 
ID:	10565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 105.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	11.27 MB 
ID:	10566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoo 104.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	10.27 MB 
ID:	10567
    It's like they are saying, you took our Sonics; now you want to take our elephants (straw that broke the camel's back).

Don't worry Seattle, we'll be back in 10 years. Cherish what you have, take care of it or we'll find a home for it in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    It's like they are saying, you took our Sonics; now you want to take our elephants (straw that broke the camel's back).

Don't worry Seattle, we'll be back in 10 years. Cherish what you have, take care of it or we'll find a home for it in OKC.
    Okc needs a few landmarks, I for one would enjoy the space needle.

Okc needs a few landmarks, I for one would enjoy the space needle.
    I can picture Carmen SanDiego sitting in her penthouse at City Place thinking about the space needle.

Blog Entries

A judge declined Friday to block the transfer of Woodland Park Zoo's two elephants, putting them closer to a new home at an Oklahoma zoo.

Zoo CEO Deborah Jensen said after Friday's hearing that she's not sure when the actual move will take place. "It is important to move our elephants in a timely manner for their welfare. This decision allows us to move forward with our plans to place Chai and Bamboo with a new multigenerational family at Oklahoma City Zoo," Jensen said in a statement Friday afternoon.
    Judge won't block elephants' move from one zoo to another - seattlepi.com

Will the zoo be getting any pandas? Specifically plutonic pandas.

I made a suggestion that they build a 20 lane highway for their golf carts and they don't let me back in there no more.

Thread Information