Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

1. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Cool, thanks! Even caught a boat at each dock, on the first day of operation in 2015 I might add.

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    There needs to be a "Mystery Seattle Institution OKC Is Taking Next" thread. My votes are CuatrodeMayo and Sound Transit.
    How about 600-900 high paying Boeing jobs?

3. Default Re: OKC Zoo

got that (actually more) already! Next. ..
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Let's rename them - one can be OKC and the other THUNDER.
    Technically they are only on loan

When I was at the zoo last summer with my kids, they had some new construction going on for some neat new exhibits etc. Does anyone have any pics or updates of such?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    When I was at the zoo last summer with my kids, they had some new construction going on for some neat new exhibits etc. Does anyone have any pics or updates of such?
    They should be starting construction on this project pretty soon.

Oklahoma City Zoo moves forward with second phase of Asia project | News OK

7. Default Re: OKC Zoo

The Zoo today... disappointing. When will they revamp the old areas of the zoo.. seems they would fair better to fix up and make new the older areas before expanding more.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    The Zoo today... disappointing. When will they revamp the old areas of the zoo.. seems they would fair better to fix up and make new the older areas before expanding more.
    It's much better than most zoo's across the country, even given the current condition of some of the old exhibits like Pachyderms and such. Went to the Tulsa Zoo recently and it was depressing to say the least. It's right behind their airport on a weird industrial road in a park, almost no entrance, zoo is in a normal type of park, exhibits are poorly designed, old, decrepit and signage/branding throughout the zoo was seriously lacking and downright depressing. Been to many zoo's across the country, and it's made me thankful for OKC's after seeing several across the country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    I walk past the old areas of the zoo. Probably what they want you to notice is the improvements; the old areas can be a bit of a distraction from what you're there to observe.

The Oklahoma City Zoo has been a great attraction since the permanent sales tax allowed them to expand and create some quality habitats like the Cat Forest, Great EscAPE, Butterfly Garden, Island Life, Elephant Habitat and Aquatics.

Bamboo and Chai

Come on Seattle, give up those elephants before we take your Seahawks.

Often ranked as one of the top 10 zoos in the United States, the Oklahoma City Zoo is also the oldest in the Southwest.
    --The Oklahoma City Zoo - Admission, Exhibits, Animals

10. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I'll admit, zoo's are usually not my place to frequent when I go on vacation (actually an oversight on my part, which I should visit other zoo's as something to do in other cities.).

In comparison, if I had seen other zoo's (and if they are as bad as you have described) then I suppose I would have something to compare them against and recognize the superiority of these older OKC exhibits.
    I don't think the average person has a lot of zoo's that they have visited that they can compare with OKC's.

So.. imho, for the average zoo visitor, they may seem old and outdated or even uncared for. (?)

11. Default Re: OKC Zoo

I LOVE OKC's zoo and have taken my family several times when visiting OKC. Though Denver's is decent, OKC's is far better. After the elephants, my vote is to get Mt. Rainier down here.

The oldest areas of the zoo I can think of will be replaced when Exhibition Asia gets built. The aquarium is also on the zoo roadmap to be remodeled eventually. All of the major new habits that have been built have replaced older ones.

The OKC Zoo has done a lot in the past 20 some odd years to improve. I love taking the kids there. My biggest peeve with the zoo is the lion overlook. We should overlook them, not the other way around. The way it's built now, if the cats decide they don't wanna be seen, then they can just go behind the hill and hide. It sucks to take your kids by the exhibit only to see the area be seemingly empty.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    It's much better than most zoo's across the country, even given the current condition of some of the old exhibits like Pachyderms and such. Went to the Tulsa Zoo recently and it was depressing to say the least. It's right behind their airport on a weird industrial road in a park, almost no entrance, zoo is in a normal type of park, exhibits are poorly designed, old, decrepit and signage/branding throughout the zoo was seriously lacking and downright depressing. Been to many zoo's across the country, and it's made me thankful for OKC's after seeing several across the country.
    Ah right on cue. Why does everyone think their zoo is one of the best in the country?

The OKC Zoo has done a lot in the past 20 some odd years to improve. I love taking the kids there. My biggest peeve with the zoo is the lion overlook. We should overlook them, not the other way around. The way it's built now, if the cats decide they don't wanna be seen, then they can just go behind the hill and hide. It sucks to take your kids by the exhibit only to see the area be seemingly empty.
    yeah, how dare those animals have any privacy. They are here for human entertainment and they have no feelings or desires!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    yeah, how dare those animals have any privacy. They are here for human entertainment and they have no feelings or desires!
    Dude, get a fricken life. They're there for us to see. You pay the money, you wanna see the animals, the kids wanna see the animals. They don't wanna see grass and fences, they can see that for free in the backyard. I'm guessing you'd be perfectly fine with paying to see a play only to have the actors hide in the wings because they have feelings and desires and deserve to privacy.

Dude, get a fricken life. They're there for us to see. You pay the money, you wanna see the animals, the kids wanna see the animals. They don't wanna see grass and fences, they can see that for free in the backyard. I'm guessing you'd be perfectly fine with paying to see a play only to have the actors hide in the wings because they have feelings and desires and deserve to privacy.
    you know what, I guess I believe animals have feelings to. Humans aren't the only creatures on the planet that need privacy, can think, and are intelligent. Just because a lion isn't able to build a skyscraper doesn't make them stupid. If you want to see animals like that, there should be designated sanctuaries and zoos in select cities or you can go to their natural habitat.

But whatever, I guess its fun to look at a lion for 15 minutes and have your daughter pretend it's real throughout that duration and it can stay there until you're ready to view them again in the next 3 years or so.

Traxx, I'm not trying to be argumentive or disrespectful, sorry if I came across that way.

I just have strong opinions of zoos and Seaworld. I understand zoos play an important part in animal rehabilitation and provide funding towards greater causes.

I'm going to agree with PluPan here. The best zoos give the animals some privacy. If that means you can't see the lion immediately, then oh well.

^^^^^^

Since I don't know how to quote multiple posts from multiple users, I'll just say it. I agree with the last few posts.

I here there is are traveling show that people and animals perform for others entertainment. Better hurry up and see a show before they get rid of the elephant acts.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I here there is are traveling show that people and animals perform for others entertainment....
    The trouble with sleepy Tuesdays is one can never be truly certain if this might reference a circus, or a bar crawl.

Look, if you disagree with the concept of a zoo, then take that up with the zoo, not me.
    Hmm, I think the OKC zoo along with most across the country may have a different idea. They could put them in concrete cages where everyone could always see them, but if they were always unhappy and unhealthy no one would want to see that either. Its a balance between making guest happy and the animals happy. I think most people want the animals to be happy even if it means not seeing 100% of all the animals every weekend they go. I think SeaWorld's stock plummeting after the release of Blackfish is proof of that.

Zoo Mission Statement
    Mission Statement

The Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden shall contribute to an understanding and preservation of the earth's natural resources through positive recreational and educational experiences. The Zoo will also conduct and participate in scientifically based conservation programs that benefit animal and plant communities, both at the Zoo and in nature.

The Zoo shall provide the following to support and implement its Vision and Mission Statements:
    •A diverse animal and plant collection exhibited under naturalistic conditions.
    •An environment where visitors may enjoy a recreational experience that is compatible with the Zoo's mission.
    Educational opportunities that reflect current information about the natural world and its diversity.
    •Opportunities for zoological research that will contribute to the husbandry, conservation and overall well being of all animal and plant communities.•Resources for the development of staff and volunteers to assure program potential and growth in performance excellence.
    •A sound foundation of fiscal and organizational controls that preserve the community's trust and support.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Hmm, I think the OKC zoo along with most across the country may have a different idea. They could put them in concrete cages where everyone could always see them, but if they were always unhappy and unhealthy no one would want to see that either. Its a balance between making guest happy and the animals happy. I think most people want the animals to be happy even if it means not seeing 100% of all the animals every weekend they go.
    Maybe it would help if you guys would actually read my post before being outraged. Where did I say that I wanted them in concrete cages and for them to be unhappy? Show me that. Point out exactly where I said these things. You guys assume things that I never said just so it will fit your little argument.

I never said that I wanted the animals in concrete cages or for them to be unhappy. All I said was that the lion overlook could've been designed better and everyone lost their freakin' mind thinking that it meant that I hate animals and want them to be sad and abused. I'm just saying that if you design it to where the humans are elevated, like how they did the elephant exhibit, then the animals could still have a somewhat natural habitat and the patrons could see the animals. It could be designed in such a way where the animals feel that they have privacy because they don't realize they're being "gawked at." Plus, the animals have privacy. They aren't on display 24/7. The zoo closes in the evening so they have that time. It's busy in the summer but probably the busiest on the weekends in the summer and moderately busy during the week in the summer. There's little to no visitors during the colder months and it's not very busy during the school year for the most part.

This is kind of like what I was talking about:

Thread Information