Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    I must've been high when I typed that.

No sarcasm.

How can you possibly remember if you were being sarcastic or not at the very least a couple of years ago? =)

(zoo good . . . boulevard not so much. queen anne cafeteria? never been there . . .=)

(seriously: The OKC Zoo is World Class. and the staff are dedicated to making and keeping it that way. imho.)

Quote Originally Posted by diggyba View Post
    I must've been high when I typed that.

No sarcasm.

high on enthusiasm I couldn't have said it any better. I just didn't know whether you being serious, but glad to see you are.

I guess you just got back from the Zoo when you posted that? It's like when I get off of 635 in Dallas, I try not to post about wide highways. I think I've done that a couple times here

The Zoo is skipping around in it's master plan a bit and going ahead with the Exhibition Asia exhibit.

Oklahoma City Zoo moves forward with second phase of Asia project | News OK

Members of the Zoo Trust voted Wednesday to move forward with the design of the second phase of its Asia exhibit. The first part of the project included the zoo’s current elephant facility. The $12.8 million second phase will feature new exhibits and added amenities for guests.
    The second phase could be completed by the spring of 2017, Lawson said.
    It will include new exhibits for rhinos, red pandas, komodo dragons and other Asian animals currently housed at the zoo in several different facilities.

The project also will include a themed full-service restaurant that will overlook the elephant facility and the zoo lake.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    The Zoo is skipping around in it's master plan a bit and going ahead with the Exhibition Asia exhibit.

Oklahoma City Zoo moves forward with second phase of Asia project | News OK
    See post number 92.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City Zoo receives 1/8 cent in sales tax revenue (about $12 million annually). They have done an outstanding job with maintenance of the grounds & facilities.

OKC Zoo Free Day: Who doesn't like free? The Zoo will have free admission all day on Wednesday, November 26, 2014! So, come on out and enjoy a great day at the Zoo!

An update on the Asia exhibit.

Oklahoma City Zoo's new exhibit aims to transport guests to Asia | News OK

The design of the second phase of the Asia exhibit is well underway as architects from New Orleans-based Torre Design Consortium have been visiting to kick around ideas with zoo staff for the upcoming $13 million exhibit that is scheduled to open in spring 2017.
    The newest phase will provide a new habitat for the rhino collection, along with red pandas and several other species.
    Lawson said the design of the new exhibit will be finalized over the winter. The zoo then would seek construction bids during the spring and summer months.

A 332 pound early Christmas present today at the zoo.

It's a girl! Elephant born at Oklahoma City Zoo | NewsOK.com

After a nearly two-year-long pregnancy Asha, a 19-year-old Asian elephant, finally can take a load off after delivering a healthy, 332-pound female calf Monday afternoon at the Oklahoma City Zoo.

Northeast OKC OKC Zoo

• Hours: 9a-5p (last entry is a 4p)
    • Admission: Adults (ages 12-64): $8 Kids (ages 3-11): $5 Seniors (ages 65 and older): $5 Children two and under: FREE
    • Address: 2101 NE 50th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73111

Blog Entries

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Let's rename them - one can be OKC and the other THUNDER.

There is already a thread solely about the zoo.

http://www.okctalk.com/arts-entertai...6-okc-zoo.html

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That's really not a development. It's just about moving animals from one zoo to another. That happens all of the time.

http://m.newsok.com/a-mammoth-disput...rticle/5398371

A local response about the current elephant controversy.

OKC Zoo addresses elephant situation

Bob Barker came out against the elephants coming to Oklahoma.

Dear Bob - go play wrestle Happy Gillmore again.
    Dear Elephants - Come on Down! The OKC Zoo awaits you.

Oh great...another Seattle gate! So Bob Barker wants the elephants to stay in a sub par zoo, instead of living in a better environment like OKC zoo? I think he just does not like zoos in general.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    And we are going to put the needle next to the ferris wheel when it goes up

17. Default Re: Okc zoo!

He - as do most of the people protesting the move - wants the elephants moved to an elephant sanctuary in California, where they won't be displayed. It sounds nice until you understand that the sanctuary has a horrible tuberculosis problem, so the elephants would have to live alone (in an area that hasn't even been constructed yet). Elephants by nature are social/pack animals, so that would probably be at least as stressful as being in a display environment.

In the OKC zoo they would be integrated into a very healthy herd, and live out their lives in a social pack. Also, the facility is probably the top Asian Elephant facility in the country, and would give the younger female an opportunity to breed. Lack of breeding has been a big knock on zoo elephant exhibits, and OKC does elephant breeding quite well.

Other items the protestors are citing is that OKC is in tornado alley (ridiculous objection that shows how much ignorance people have regarding our weather) and that it is very cold this week (ignoring the fact that we have a state-of-the-art barn. Oh, and that unlike African Elephants, Asian Elephants are sometimes subjected to cold in their native environment, and thus evolutionarily adapted.

Much of it is typical coastal bigotry. How in the world could OKC even have a nice zoo? Everyone knows we're just a bunch of hicks eternally stuck in the Dust Bowl.

There needs to be a "Mystery Seattle Institution OKC Is Taking Next" thread. My votes are CuatrodeMayo and Sound Transit.

19. Default Re: OKC Zoo

You'll have to drag me back kicking & screaming...

Not if we don't go all cheap on the tranq dart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boitoirich View Post
    There needs to be a "Mystery Seattle Institution OKC Is Taking Next" thread. My votes are CuatrodeMayo and Sound Transit.

Make that first class: Let's get the muzzle and the gurney .

22. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Took the drone out to the park to the east of the OKC Zoo this morning.

Took some pretty decent pics from the park, facing the zoo - didn't fly 'over' the zoo for obvious reasons.

Here's one....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI00078_Snapseed.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	10318

23. Default Re: Okc zoo!

I'd be really interested in seeing others. Especially ones that show both Safari Voyage docks in the same shot, if you have them.

24. Default Re: Okc zoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I'd be really interested in seeing others. Especially ones that show both Safari Voyage docks in the same shot, if you have them.
    Probably as good as I can get since I wasn't going for that shot when I was out there....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DJI00064_Snapseed.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	10319

Thread Information