Widgets Magazine
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

I went to the zoo recently and checked out the new Asian wildlife exhibit. Very nice other than the fact unless I missed something that the path dead ends and you have to turn around and walk the same way you entered. It just feels closed off and I wish they would have found a way to tie into the path so you could walk through the exhibit and on to another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I went to the zoo recently and checked out the new Asian wildlife exhibit. Very nice other than the fact unless I missed something that the path dead ends and you have to turn around and walk the same way you entered. It just feels closed off and I wish they would have found a way to tie into the path so you could walk through the exhibit and on to another one.
    i think i recall from a few years back when the sent all the zoo friends a plan for the future, that once they finally redo the hooved animal pens, that it will go the whole way around. but i don't think that will be for some time

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i think i recall from a few years back when the sent all the zoo friends a plan for the future, that once they finally redo the hooved animal pens, that it will go the whole way around. but i don't think that will be for some time
    Okay that’s good news. At least there are plans for it. It just felt kind of weird being closed off like that.

You're right, and I didn't realize that's one of the things that irritated me about that new area until just now. WIth all the hype surrounding it, the exhibits also felt a little out of place, like they weren't really even part of the zoo, if that makes sense? I was underwhelmed.

To "fix" it, they would need to cut a path right through the Oklahoma Trails exhibit which isn't that old really.

The best bet would be where the alligator exhibit is.
    https://www.okczoo.org/map-directions-tips

Edit:
    This area where the path ends at the red panda exhibit seems feasible. This is an old google earth photo when the new area was still under construction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newpath..JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	16890

Noticed they posted a video on Twitter Monday that they have started construction on Expedition Africa and had more images than I had seen previously.

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    Noticed they posted a video on Twitter Monday that they have started construction on Expedition Africa and had more images than I had seen previously.
    https://twitter.com/okczoo/status/14...213686277?s=20

Blog Entries

I hope everyone appreciates the gem we have here with the OKC Zoo. This new addition will be awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I hope everyone appreciates the gem we have here with the OKC Zoo. This new addition will be awesome too.
    yes it will and they already have the next improvement lined up after africa is done ...

which should a new sea lion habitat and Pengiuns ..

If you get there via the elephants exhibit, you can do the loop through Asia and wind up at the entrance to the elephants exhibit (apes). But yeah, they really need to work on their flow.

Blog Entries

I love that the plan is to preserve the architecture of the Pachyderms Building. For whatever reason, I think that building is very nostalgic.

Quote Originally Posted by poe View Post
    I love that the plan is to preserve the architecture of the Pachyderms Building. For whatever reason, I think that building is very nostalgic.
    It's one of the very few original structures left.

I'm really partial to it as well.

I could not agree more (post 483).OKC has a Top ranked Zoo in America. It has often been ranked in the Top 20 in all of America

Blog Entries

Looks like we need a new separate thread for the golf course.

I was in St. Louis last week and went to their zoo on Friday, and man what a treat. First the zoo is free, so that is pretty cool, it is also situated in Forest Park, which is a massive 1300+ acre park near downtown St. Louis. Our zoo is really nice, and only getting better, but after visiting the St. Louis Zoo, I really hope we keep building and improving, because our area of the country has some serious hitters in the Zoo category.

405 Mag article on the predator pass area:

https://www.405magazine.com/lions-an...eetahs-to-spy/

Went to the zoo for the first time in years with the family last week. Nice day about 60 degrees. Felt a little robbed of $60. A lot of walking, but didn't see hardly any animals. Flamingos, elephants, the head of one tiger, zebras from a distance, a couple monkeys, rhinos and that's about it. I know its under heavy construction, but for such a beautifully decorated park the kids saw more fake animals than real animals.

Quote Originally Posted by ourulz2000 View Post
    Went to the zoo for the first time in years with the family last week. Nice day about 60 degrees. Felt a little robbed of $60. A lot of walking, but didn't see hardly any animals. Flamingos, elephants, the head of one tiger, zebras from a distance, a couple monkeys, rhinos and that's about it. I know its under heavy construction, but for such a beautifully decorated park the kids saw more fake animals than real animals.
    Too bad. It can feel like that sometimes. Wide habitats are, of course, great for the animals but sometimes let the visitors out of luck.

I just went this Thursday afternoon with some family members, for the first time in few years and we were very lucky ! We saw everything but the Lions and Bear. All the big cats were active. Really a cool couple of hours.

Love this Zoo and I think it is very very reasonably priced. Always upgrading and doing more !

I really need to make a trip in hopes of seeing the cheetahs.

60 degrees is still a little bit chilly for some animals. I bet you saw zero in predator pass area. These are were all the Africa animals that are naturally use to 80s and above. Bears of course would usually go into hibernation this time of year. Basically Spring and Fall are the best time of year, maybe early morning in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I really need to make a trip in hopes of seeing the cheetahs.
    My cheetah story. Around 30 years ago, they were in a back pen that was long and narrow on the west side if I remember correctly. Another pen to the south were African wild dogs. As soon as we got near the cheetahs, one come running up very fast and jumps and hits the south end of the enclosure. It was like OMG what the hell is going on. I look back and notice a small service vehicle and a zoo worker threw a few chunks of meat into the wild dog pen. And his next stop was feeding the cheetahs.

For the money, the zoo family pass is a great buy specifically because of visits like the one you had, in case you're referring to the admission cost with the $60. If you have a pass, you can enjoy what's available each visit and not have to hope to see everything.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    For the money, the zoo family pass is a great buy specifically because of visits like the one you had, in case you're referring to the admission cost with the $60. If you have a pass, you can enjoy what's available each visit and not have to hope to see everything.
    Family pass is definitely the way to go if you plan to go a few times. We got our moneys worth.

25. Default Re: OKC Zoo

^^^^^^^^^^
    It’s legitimately the best value of any admission (and especially family admission) deal in town versus ALL attractions (well besides obvious exceptions such as Oklahoma Contemporary… …its tough to compete with free). As in…it’s almost TOO cheap.

Thread Information