Widgets Magazine
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: OKC Zoo

Default Re: OKC Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Don’t know how reliable the master plan is, but it looks like they are planning on moving the sea lions out and then hopefully rehabilitate the center itself.
    yes, last i had heard (which was i think last summer) this was still the plan. after the new sea lion exhibit was complete, going floor by floor with a complete overhaul of the center.

It looks like that entire side may become an aquatic area, which would be great. I can imagine a good mix of indoor and outdoor exhibits. I wonder if they are going to wait on the proposed aquarium or maybe end up incorporating it somehow before finalizing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKC-finalgraphics16.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	15302  

I wonder if it would make more sense to just demolish and build new? It was built around a large pool that doesn't really match the nature theme the zoo is trying to go for. Reminds me too much of the old bear and cat pens. Plus, the space is just awkward because of the design.

Sounds like it will be awhile before they touch it anyway.

With the new aquarium talk, it might make sense to replace the whole thing. If the sea lions are moved, maybe keep the shell and replace the entire interior?

With the new aquarium talk, it might make sense to replace the whole thing. If the sea lions are moved, maybe keep the shell and replace the entire interior?
    the zoo previously had no interest in putting the aquarium at the zoo ..

to make the numbers work it needs to be at a different location with a different ticket ..

The Zoo has funded the feasibility study that showed an aquarium would be successful, so that had me confused. But you’re right that they were thinking about a different location, that was my mixup there.

The plans were discussed in a Journal Record article earlier this year (via USNews):

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...s-new-exhibits

Looks like the Farm area is just a tentative idea in case the amphitheater is closed in the future.

Kind of makes the lack of discussion to include a aquarium in Maps 4 somewhere in the city more disappointing when there is already a lack of headliner projects being discussed.

The zoo could make it work with a separate admission price if they really wanted to go that route. People would love it in the summer. The science museum Oklahoma charges special admission whenever there is a special exhibit in town. When the gross anatomy exhibit came into town, I paid museum admission and exhibit admission and didn't really tour the museum at that time.

The Zoo has funded the feasibility study that showed an aquarium would be successful, so that had me confused. But you’re right that they were thinking about a different location, that was my mixup there.
    yes they want to operate and run a aquarium but with a different ticket .. and they were looking downtown ...

(i gues one would also work in the advanture district .) but the big deal was that they need to be able to sell tickets to it seperatly ..

Thread Information