Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Bobby821.... There waiting to see what'll happen. Like is said above, it'll likely come last minute or after the snow/ice starts. I'll post the message for the NWS in Tulsa.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TULSA OK
    446 AM CST TUE MAR 3 2015

ARZ001-002-010-011-019-020-029-OKZ049-053>076-032200-
    BENTON-CARROLL-WASHINGTON AR-MADISON-CRAWFORD-FRANKLIN-SEBASTIAN-
    PUSHMATAHA-CHOCTAW-OSAGE-WASHINGTON OK-NOWATA-CRAIG-OTTAWA-PAWNEE-
    TULSA-ROGERS-MAYES-DELAWARE-CREEK-OKFUSKEE-OKMULGEE-WAGONER-
    CHEROKEE-ADAIR-MUSKOGEE-MCINTOSH-SEQUOYAH-PITTSBURG-HASKELL-
    LATIMER-LE FLORE-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROGERS...BENTONVILLE...BERRYVILLE...
    EUREKA SPRINGS...FAYETTEVILLE...SPRINGDALE...HUNTSVILLE.. .
    VAN BUREN...OZARK...CHARLESTON...FORT SMITH...ANTLERS...CLAYTON...
    HUGO...PAWHUSKA...BARTLESVILLE...NOWATA...VINITA.. .MIAMI...
    PAWNEE...TULSA...CLAREMORE...PRYOR...JAY...BRISTOW ...OKEMAH...
    OKMULGEE...WAGONER...TAHLEQUAH...STILWELL...MUSKOG EE...EUFAULA...
    SALLISAW...MCALESTER...STIGLER...WILBURTON...POTEA U
    446 AM CST TUE MAR 3 2015

...MORE WINTER WEATHER EXPECTED FOR LATE TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH
    WEDNESDAY...

AFTER A RATHER MILD TUESDAY...MUCH COLDER AIR WILL OVERSPREAD THE
    REGION AS A STRONG COLD FRONT PUSHES THROUGH EASTERN OKLAHOMA AND
    NORTHWEST ARKANSAS TONIGHT. LIGHT RAIN THIS EVENING IS EXPECTED TO
    TRANSITION TO FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET AFTER MIDNIGHT ACROSS
    NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA AND INTO NORTHWEST ARKANSAS...AND EVENTUALLY TO
    MOSTLY SNOW AND SLEET BY WEDNESDAY. THIS TRANSITION WILL OCCUR
    LATER ACROSS SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA AND WEST CENTRAL ARKANSAS...MAINLY
    FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING INTO THE EVENING.

THE CURRENT SNOWFALL FORECAST IS CALLING FOR THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS
    ACROSS NORTHWEST ARKANSAS...WHERE AROUND 2 TO 4 INCHES WILL BE
    POSSIBLE. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE LIKELY...ESPECIALLY IN THE
    HIGHER TERRAIN AREAS. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF FREEZING RAIN MAY
    OCCUR AS WELL...ESPECIALLY IN THE ARKANSAS RIVER VALLEY OF WEST
    CENTRAL ARKANSAS. THIS AREA REMAINS UNDER A WINTER STORM
    WATCH...WHICH MAY BE UPGRADED TO A WARNING LATER TODAY.

NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA WILL LIKELY SEE SOME LIGHT ICING TUESDAY
    NIGHT...AND AROUND 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET BY WEDNESDAY.
    SOUTHEAST OKLAHOMA COULD SEE AROUND A TENTH OR TWO OF ICING ON
    WEDNESDAY...WITH AN ADDITIONAL INCH OR TWO OF SNOW BY LATE
    WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS FOR THIS WINTER WEATHER
    EVENT. WINTER WEATHER ADVISORIES OR WARNINGS MAY BE NEEDED AS THE
    DEVELOPING SITUATION BECOMES A BIT MORE CLEAR.

Again, I honestly do believe there will be advisory/warnings issued later on.

This is where the models become both a blessing and a curse. They're accurate enough to tell is winter weather iscoming, but not granular enough to offer much confidence beyond, what, maybe a 50-100 (?) mile range. That's pretty darned good for a mathematical model, but a pain for someone on the ground trying to forecast differences in conditions between, say, OKC and Norman or Pauls Valley.

Less than 24 hours away from event and no advisories in NWS Norman viewing area.

I think Winter Storm Warning will be issued for I-44 corridor then eastward kind of hugging I-40 and then north towards Tulsa.

NAM still thinks cold air will be slower, so less sleet and frz.
    GFS is slightly higher on sleet and snow.

Basically NAM is having the low to get cranking directly over OK and then shove off to the NE.
    GFS is having the low crank over OK and then slowly slide S/SE (heavier precip for longer)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Less than 24 hours away from event and no advisories in NWS Norman viewing area.

I think Winter Storm Warning will be issued for I-44 corridor then eastward kind of hugging I-40 and then north towards Tulsa.

NAM still thinks cold air will be slower, so less sleet and frz.
    GFS is slightly higher on sleet and snow.
    Will OKC and Moore be included in the Winter Storm Warning. or is OKC and Moore going to get jipped on this storm system too??

I think NWS is scared silly about issuing a warning on which some districts are likely to close schools, only to find the storm shifted here or there a few miles. I don't blame 'em. Huge responsibility. It isn't such a big deal on weekends with no school and less business impact, but midweek? Ugh.

I am only guessing about advisories based upon model data and history of these types of events. But not being in the WSW does not mean a regular winter wx advisory won't be upgraded during event.

Remember earlier this winter in December when the NWS jumped the gun and issues IceStormWarnings for nearly the entire state, then we warmed up to like 36F and everything was cancelled.

Rain/Ice/Sleet/Snow determination comes down to literally feet of air when it comes to how cold the levels of atmosphere are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Will OKC and Moore be included in the Winter Storm Warning. or is OKC and Moore going to get jipped on this storm system too??
    Seems to me if it's base on "I-44 corridor and eastn" that would include the metro.

Why are you acting like OKC has gotten "jipped" all year? They have had above average snowfall this winter. Not always being in the area of max snow doesn't mean you have gotten "jipped".

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Why are you acting like OKC has gotten "jipped" all year? They have had above average snowfall this winter. Not always being in the area of max snow doesn't mean you have gotten "jipped".
    It does too, if you don't get a lot of freezing rain or snow then it might as well be for nothing. what good is it if it melts shortly after falling need lots of deep snow or a good ole blizzard with a foot of snow or more that's a good memorable snow and it wont melt soon after it falls either. and Winter weather advisories are kids stuff, need winter storm warnings or ice storm warning for meaning full winter weather.

11. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Exactly. This is why we don't bother with the "will it do X at the corner of ___ and ___" type forecasting here like people always seem to demand from the local news stations.

The 12Z NAM has a couple bands with 2-4 inches of snow, with locally higher amounts, with it as everything moves through. Forecasting the exact placement of these bands is very difficult. However, 2-3 inches is well with in Advisory level criteria. I would expect them to just paint the forecast area with advisories and only upgrade if the need arises when precip starts and if it looks like one of the bands will dump more than 4-5 inches of snow or more freezing rain than expected.

Yea I can see that, too.

13. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

It does too, if you don't get a lot of freezing rain or snow then it might as well be for nothing. what good is it if it melts shortly after falling need lots of deep snow or a good ole blizzard with a foot of snow or more that's a good memorable snow and it wont melt soon after it falls either. and Winter weather advisories are kids stuff, need winter storm warnings or ice storm warning for meaning full winter weather.
    1. "Jipped," or the correctly spelled "gypped" is a racist term and it would probably be better if you stopped using it.

2. We have had plenty of winter weather, more than average, in fact. Just because YOU are unhappy with how much fell doesn't mean that the rest of us are. Some of us have jobs to do and the weather has impacted us greatly so far. I would really rather it do nothing at all, or just rain. You don't need a "memorable" amount of snow for it to impact thousands of people's lives and livelihoods.

3. I hear Boston has plenty of snow. Feel free to ask them how they feel about it.
    Still corrupting young minds

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    1. "Jipped," or the correctly spelled "gypped" is a racist term and it would probably be better if you stopped using it.
    Today I learned...never thought about that word and its connotation.

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    True, but many of our colloquialisms share such a common heritage of our past. Even "honky-tonk" could be considered somewhat racist. And how about "That's white of you," too often used as a compliment?

In the past several days I've been reading some classics on Google Books, scanned from editions nearly a century old. It's amazing how racist Rudyard Kipling's writings were, and Twain's "Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is so filled with anti-Catholic tirades that I can only manage about a chapter at a time before coming up for air...
    Last edited by Jim Kyle; 03-03-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling error

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by silvergrove View Post
    Today I learned...never thought about that word and its connotation.

17. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    True, but many of our colloquialisms share such a common heritage of our past. Even "honky-tonk" could be considered somewhat racist. And how about "That's white of you," too often used as a compliment?

In the past several days I've been reading some classics on Google Books, scanned from editions nearly a century old. It's amazing how racist Rudyard Kipling's writings were, and Twain's "Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" is so filled with anti-Catholic tirades that I can only manage about a chapter at a time before coming up for air...
    People say "that's white of you?" I've never heard that. I've heard black people be called "white" for speaking with correct grammar (a whole thing that was spoken about at our Black History Month assembly last week) but I've not heard that, at least in my circle. I think it's the hatred with which people say "gypped" that gets me the most. The Gypsies didn't make it not snow, don't be mad at them.

18. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

I think it is occasionally important to note that this thread does draw extremes on both sides. Those that are fanatical about the weather those that are very much on the opposite end of the spectrum. Just remain respectful to both sides is all ask. Otherwise come Spring, we are going to be in trouble when the first tornado day arrives.

19. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

Adv is out...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
    1116 AM CST TUE MAR 3 2015

OKZ019-020-022>048-050>052-TXZ083>090-040130-
    /O.NEW.KOUN.WW.Y.0029.150304T1200Z-150305T0600Z/
    LOGAN-PAYNE-WA****A-CADDO-CANADIAN-OKLAHOMA-LINCOLN-GRADY-MCCLAIN-
    CLEVELAND-POTTAWATOMIE-SEMINOLE-HUGHES-HARMON-GREER-KIOWA-JACKSON-
    TILLMAN-COMANCHE-STEPHENS-GARVIN-MURRAY-PONTOTOC-COAL-COTTON-
    JEFFERSON-CARTER-JOHNSTON-ATOKA-LOVE-MARSHALL-BRYAN-HARDEMAN-
    FOARD-WILBARGER-WICHITA-KNOX-BAYLOR-ARCHER-CLAY-
    INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GUTHRIE...STILLWATER...CORDELL...
    ANADARKO...YUKON...EL RENO...MUSTANG...OKLAHOMA CITY...CHANDLER...
    CHICKASHA...PURCELL...NORMAN...MOORE...SHAWNEE...S EMINOLE...
    HOLDENVILLE...HOLLIS...MANGUM...HOBART...ALTUS...F REDERICK...
    LAWTON...DUNCAN...PAULS VALLEY...SULPHUR...ADA...COALGATE...
    WALTERS...WAURIKA...ARDMORE...TISHOMINGO...ATOKA.. .MARIETTA...
    MADILL...DURANT...QUANAH...CHILLICOTHE...CROWELL.. .VERNON...
    WICHITA FALLS...MUNDAY...KNOX CITY...SEYMOUR...ARCHER CITY...
    HOLLIDAY...LAKESIDE CITY...HENRIETTA
    1116 AM CST TUE MAR 3 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO
    MIDNIGHT CST WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORY FOR ACCUMULATING SLEET AND SNOW...WHICH IS IN
    EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO MIDNIGHT CST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING: ACCUMULATING SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN WILL BE POSSIBLE
    FROM DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY TO NOON. FREEZING RAIN WILL TRANSITION
    TO SLEET AND SNOW IN THE AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION
    IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR BETWEEN 3 PM AND 9 PM.

* SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATIONS: SLEET ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED
    TO BE HIGHEST SOUTH AND EAST OF THE INTERSTATE-44 CORRIDOR WHERE
    SOME AREAS COULD SEE ONE-HALF TO ONE INCH. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS
    ARE EXPECTED TO AVERAGE TWO INCHES OR LESS OVER A LARGER AREA...
    ALTHOUGH SOME AREAS NEAR INTERSTATE-44 COULD SEE UP TO FOUR
    INCHES IN ADDITION TO THE SLEET.

* MAIN IMPACT: SLICK AND HAZARDOUS ROADWAYS ARE EXPECTED TO
    DEVELOP FROM ACCUMULATING SLEET AND SNOW.

* OTHER IMPACT: WITH STRONGER WINDS EXPECTED SOUTH OF
    INTERSTATE-40...DECREASED VISIBILITIES IN BLOWING SNOW WILL
    COMPOUND THE TRAVEL DANGERS LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
    WEDNESDAY EVENING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL. EVEN SMALL AMOUNTS OF ICE AND
    SNOW CAN MAKE ROADS AND SIDEWALKS SLICK AND DANGEROUS.

this is going to be a headache for school administrators in the morning.

The correct move is to cancel school now. I don't know why it is difficult. It is the same thing every time you let kids gets to school, then weather hits and people are stuck, trying to checkout early, parents trying to leave work, etc...

What is the worst that could happen? The weather never gets bad and now you have them make up the snowday at the end of year like normal.

22. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - March 2015

I'm supposed to have band contest tomorrow in Edmond. I've already had one contest postponed and now have TWO solo/ensemble contests this coming Saturday in TWO different cities. I don't know if eligibility is going to change if the contest tomorrow is postponed. I really wish Winter would dial it back a notch. Or, you know, it could have been winter back in January, when winter should happen

The correct move is to cancel school now. I don't know why it is difficult. It is the same thing every time you let kids gets to school, then weather hits and people are stuck, trying to checkout early, parents trying to leave work, etc...

What is the worst that could happen? The weather never gets bad and now you have them make up the snowday at the end of year like normal.
    Yeah. Not that the past two events have been *that* bad, but in both cases OU canceled when the event was nearly over sending everyone out onto the already-screwed-up roads. I don't really understand the sense in that. With this coming during the morning though there may be more incentive to just cancel the entire day ahead of time.

Depending where the band sets up and how quickly the cold air advects in, I see 4-6 inches possible in a swath.

This is a huge issue at my school, and probably many others. As soon as a couple of flakes have accumulated on the roads, parents start checking their student out. At that point it is almost impossible to get anything done, because of the non-stop break in for announcements on the intercom system for so and so to report to the office to check out.

Thread Information