Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Default SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

2. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

If they do this as well as the last one it's going to be a major improvement.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    If they do this as well as the last one it's going to be a major improvement.
    I agree, but I do wish they would have used concrete for I-35. I'm not sure why they chose asphalt, but it's already deteriorating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I agree, but I do wish they would have used concrete for I-35. I'm not sure why they chose asphalt, but it's already deteriorating.
    i saw that. Very dumb move to use asphalt especially when you're pretty much redoing the entire highway.

Where is it falling apart?? Not saying it isn't but I drive it everyday I haven't noticed so I'm generally curious? The only areas I've noticed it is rougher is the areas they have not done yet but everything from the main street area seems to be great.

The area I see is the part they did several years ago. If they had done that in concrete, it'd still be nice.

Here are the last couple of releases from ODOT about this project:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...on_wrap-up.pdf
    http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/newsm...n%20Norman.pdf

Page three of the second one has the layout diagram, which I managed to extract out into a jpeg:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SH9 & Lindsey Interchange.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	10191  

8. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Where is it falling apart?? Not saying it isn't but I drive it everyday I haven't noticed so I'm generally curious? The only areas I've noticed it is rougher is the areas they have not done yet but everything from the main street area seems to be great.
    Not sure either. It has held up pretty well in the new areas.The only sections I've noticed anywhere are the one area north of Rock Creek where that tanker fire was and they had to repatch it. The other is where the more or less temp pavement was put in just north of Lindsey. That was just a quick resurfacing and I believe gets completely torn up soon.

9. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    The area I see is the part they did several years ago. If they had done that in concrete, it'd still be nice.
    I'm assuming you are talking about the quick resurfacing they did from the bridge to Main. You realize they just took off a bit and resurfaced and called it good...right? That isn't staying.

I saw that. They're still rocking the cloverleafs. Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    I'm assuming you are talking about the quick resurfacing they did from the bridge to Main. You realize they just took off a bit and resurfaced and called it good...right? That isn't staying.
    i honestly don't know. As of late, I've been in Norman at nite, so I haven't been able to see the highway. Next time I'm there, I'll keep my eyes pealed.

Concrete last longer, but asphalt is smoother. I personally think asphalt is better if their willing to repave it sooner.

Hmmmm. I just like cement all around. I do love asphalt in subdivisions, but to me, I think cement looks better and I like driving on it better. Both of those are only opinions however. If I recall, I'd they engineer the road right, asphalt can last a long time. I think are parts of Route 66 in New Mexico that are still original and are in great shape.

Awhile back, I swear I remember reading something in Popular Science about a new type of composit cement they were testing that would be cheaper and last much longer than current cement. I'm not sure where that went.

I used to dream of highways and roads made of steel with Illumimated lane markers, but that would be incredibly expensive.

14. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Which they kinda need to do with space constraints. Please continue to smack though...maybe some sense will get knocked in at some point.

Give me a break. With today's engineering, it could be done. I'll draw a quick sketch on Google tonight that a 3 year old could do. Btw, I've already looked at the images, I know it can be done and it doesn't take an engineer to have common sense.

I just double checked Google Maps. There is plenty of room. I'll prove it later tonight.

I read a rumor somewhere this was done so they could preserve the possibility of extending OK9 west across the river. That was many years ago though.

18. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

It looks like Lindsey has some Texas turnarounds. I am surprised they didn't do that on Main as well.

19. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    It looks like Lindsey has some Texas turnarounds. I am surprised they didn't do that on Main as well.
    I think it is just a poorly done image, but this should be identical to the Main St. SPUI.

That's true. I forgot they were doing SPUI's. I am not a fan of those interchanges at all. But they sure do look cool.

21. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

That's true. I forgot they were doing SPUI's. I am not a fan of those interchanges at all. But they sure do look cool.
    The are remarkably efficient. I love the one at Main now. That intersection is a massive improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    The are remarkably efficient. I love the one at Main now. That intersection is a massive improvement.
    I guess I haven't noticed a major difference, but I have read they are much more efficient. The main reason I don't like them is because they are friendly to service roads, but I know to some that is a plus.

23. Default Re: SH9 & Lindsey Interchange and I-35 widening in Norman

I guess I haven't noticed a major difference, but I have read they are much more efficient. The main reason I don't like them is because they are friendly to service roads, but I know to some that is a plus.
    Did you even drive much in Norman before the Main St one was started? As far as friendly to service roads...in which way? Neither the one in Norman or the other at I-40 and Morgan integrate the service roads at all.

Why? So drivers can get to the first stop light on highway 9 slightly faster. Or the few thousand residents traveling from this area to Riverwind or Texas won't have to slowdown slightly. This is a case where the clovers make perfect since.

It should be noted this interchange will have three additional bridges/overpasses to make sure none of the ramps interfere with each other.

SPUIs are in no way convenient to service roads, at least any of the ones I've driven. I can't even quite imagine how you would integrate a two-way service road into one, a one-way seems like it could be done fairly easily if you accept not giving the service road drivers a pass through.

I'm really looking forward to the Lindsey interchange being converted into one. Plus, the way my daily commute works a traffic jam down there shouldn't slow me down at all, and may even make it better if enough other drivers end up bottled up down there.

Thread Information