Widgets Magazine

Thread: CDR - little-noticed big change :)

Default CDR - little-noticed big change :)

CDR Electronics started several years ago in the former Buchanan's Grocery space at SW 89th and Penn as an electronics consignment retailer, including refurbished laptops, computer parts, cables, cell phones, and miscellaneous other related items. As they expanded, they outgrew the original Buchanan's location and moved to the Southern Hills Shopping Center. I made some *great* buys from them on printers and assorted computer goodies over the years.

The other day was my first opportunity to visit CDR in some time - and first time I'd seen an astonishing change in their business model: No more computers or laptops - period. They've switched entirely to sales of DVD/BluRay media, video games, cell phones, and tablets. No computer accessories at all.

I spoke briefly with one of their sales staff and he said they made that decision back in July of 2014, which rang a bell as I used to receive promotional emails from someone whom I thought was one of CDR's founding partners, offering their latest great deals on laptops, desktops, and parts, and was surprised to see that he had left CDR for a new gig at another store. Now it makes sense why.

I had not been to CDR in some time as it seemed they had been converting to a glorified cell phone pawn shop, but I was not aware they'd completely abandoned computer sales. Don't know how long they can survive just selling DVD's and BluRay movies, either, although I guess there's considerable meat on the bone for resold video game consoles.

2. Default Re: CDR - little-noticed big change :)

I've shopped at CDR for awhile now.

My current iPad Air and iPad Mini's are both from there. I've found their prices to be better than even Craigslist.

Most recently I went in (about 5 days ago) to buy new official Apple earbuds ($19 as opposed to $29 and they are new).

Its also my goto place to buy used DVD's. Many really good titles for $5 or less.

I used to look at their computers, but never bought one. I asked them about the change when they clearanced all their current inventory. They said the markup really wasn't very good and it took too much time to verify a computer and all its ports still worked when buying and then selling them. Plus, they said customers were always coming back in claiming things were wrong with the computer they sold them.

They have a huge retail location. I'm guessing they will move to a smaller location whenever a new tenant wants that space.

Default Re: CDR - little-noticed big change :)

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I've shopped at CDR for awhile now.

My current iPad Air and iPad Mini's are both from there. I've found their prices to be better than even Craigslist.

Most recently I went in (about 5 days ago) to buy new official Apple earbuds ($19 as opposed to $29 and they are new).

Its also my goto place to buy used DVD's. Many really good titles for $5 or less.

I used to look at their computers, but never bought one. I asked them about the change when they clearanced all their current inventory. They said the markup really wasn't very good and it took too much time to verify a computer and all its ports still worked when buying and then selling them. Plus, they said customers were always coming back in claiming things were wrong with the computer they sold them.

They have a huge retail location. I'm guessing they will move to a smaller location whenever a new tenant wants that space.
    Yeah I have to think that space is costing them a small fortune unless the landlords offered them some really sweet long-term lease deal when they moved from the old Buchanan's spot. I assume they're making their money on the second-hand phones/tablets, because I can't see much of any retailer making a long-term, ongoing business just selling used DVD's and BluRay's these days.

The best, sweetest deal I ever got at the "original" CDR was on a business-class HP OfficeJet printer with a built-in duplexer and on-board Ethernet. It was a $300-$400 retail unit and they had three marked "refurbs" for $99 each. The boxes looked pristine and I asked the sales clerk about them, and he offered "That's one of the best deals we've ever gotten. We bought those, and for printers we check them out to make sure all the pieces are in, and at least have the starter ink cartridges, but these things were absolutely untouched - everything brand new in factory packaging. It was something that had been returned unopened, but they had to sell it as a refurb. We didn't have to touch it." That was at least five years ago, and that printer is humming along happily to this day.

Don't know how long CDR will last, but I do lament the ever-shrinking source for computer odds and ends. Ah, the shifting marketplace

Default Re: CDR - little-noticed big change :)

Hello Sooner Dave this is Rob McClure the one who started CDR Electronics back in 2008. I was there till 2012. then started another location and just recently started JDR Electronics in Moore. Hope to someday have some of the great deals as we did back with cDR. Been open only a week so got lot inventory still coming but will soon carry computer parts. Currently do Cell Phones, Laptops, Tablets, Hoverboards and other products..
    Drop by the store sometime 1020 NW 27th in Moore Open 10-6 Mon thru Saturday

Thread Information