Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: REI

Default REI

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...-coming-to-OKC

After much speculation, OKCTalk has learned that Trader Joe's has signed a letter of intent to lease the old Crescent Market space at Nichols Hills Plaza.

Also, we've learned Recreational Equipment Inc., commonly known as REI, will open a store in a new development to the immediate south.

Both properties are owned by Glimcher, a national retail developer which bought the properties outlined in red below from Chesapeake Energy in 2013. See our previous story on the company and what they've done in other markets here: Glimcher.

Since the acquisition, Glimcher has been filling up Classen Curve, signing leases with West Elm, Zoe's Kitchen, Kendra Scott and several others. The center is now very near full occupancy.

Although exact plans have yet to be revealed, the company is now turning it's sights to filling the largely vacant Nichols Hills Plaza South and developing several large empty lots. REI will likely be part of a much larger lifestyle center on the south side of NW 63rd and west of Western. We have learned Glimcher is in deep negotiations with several other new-to-market retailers.

REI is a privately held American retail corporation headquartered in the Seattle area selling outdoor recreation gear, sporting goods, and clothing via some 135 retail stores in 32 states, catalogs, and the Internet. The company opens four to six new stores each year.

Although the majority of what it sells is brand-name merchandise from other companies, REI designs and sells its own private-label products.

REI has built a very loyal customer base by providing free memberships for life and exemplary customer service. They also offer a variety of classes in most of their locations on everything from campfire cooking to bike repair.

REI's CEO, Jerry Stritzke, grew up in Oklahoma and graduated from Oklahoma State.

Default Re: REI

I am rather excited about this one! Nice to see something be built on the very spot I used to frequent--The Varsity! I'll feel at home!

I mentioned elsewhere that a big part of the REI experience is their classes/workshops and the community they build among active, adventurous people.

Here is a sample of offerings at the stores nearest me; gives you an idea of what they are all about:

• Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
    • Introduction to GPS Navigation Class
    • REI Run Club Los Angeles
    • Wilderness Survival: 3-Season Skills
    • Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay
    • GoPro Video Editing Basics - with GoPro Studio
    • GPS Navigation Basics
    • Beyond Bike Maintenance Basics - Brakes & Drive Train
    • Exploring Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon
    • Preparing for Half Dome
    • Magic of India
    • Hands-On Bike Maintenance - Fix A Flat
    • Preparing for Grand Canyon
    • Winter Camping Basics
    • Snowshoeing Basics
    • Avalanche Awareness
    • Trail Running Basics
    • Exploring Europe by Rail

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I mentioned elsewhere that a big part of the REI experience is their classes/workshops and the community they build among active, adventurous people.

Here is a sample of offerings at the stores nearest me; gives you an idea of what they are all about:

• Introduction to Outdoor Rock Climbing Class
    • Introduction to GPS Navigation Class
    • REI Run Club Los Angeles
    • Wilderness Survival: 3-Season Skills
    • Kayak Palos Verdes with Heal the Bay
    • GoPro Video Editing Basics - with GoPro Studio
    • GPS Navigation Basics
    • Beyond Bike Maintenance Basics - Brakes & Drive Train
    • Exploring Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon
    • Preparing for Half Dome
    • Magic of India
    • Hands-On Bike Maintenance - Fix A Flat
    • Preparing for Grand Canyon
    • Winter Camping Basics
    • Snowshoeing Basics
    • Avalanche Awareness
    • Trail Running Basics
    • Exploring Europe by Rail
    This sounds awesome. REI will be great for OKC in so many ways.

The classes are very popular; many sell out within days.

The classes sound amazing. I think it will also help raise some awareness for the types of outdoor recreation you can do in and around the city. From the new whitewater course to sailing at lake Hefner. I have far to many of friends who have move to Colorado for the outdoor experience which anyone can admit is amazing but we have the Arbuckles a little over a hour away, the Whicita mountains a little over two hours and some of my personal favorite for a weekend get away are the Ouachita.

I imagine they will work closely with the OK River Sports people, with the kayaking and that sort of thing.

They also organize runs, hikes, climbs, bike rides, trips, etc.

REI was one of those places that I didn't get at first while many friends were complete fanatics. Then, it all clicked in and I'm now a pretty big fan. Beyond all this, they are almost crazy with their customer service.

As mentioned, they do a lot to engage people in the outdoor activities in their area.

Pete, with REI do they generally just have one store in cities? I was surprised when Dick's opened how we got 4 stores throughout the city all at once and while I know that isn't happening here I'm curious if they will expand to an Edmond location or maybe Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    The classes sound amazing. I think it will also help raise some awareness for the types of outdoor recreation you can do in and around the city. From the new whitewater course to sailing at lake Hefner. I have far to many of friends who have move to Colorado for the outdoor experience which anyone can admit is amazing but we have the Arbuckles a little over a hour away, the Whicita mountains a little over two hours and some of my personal favorite for a weekend get away are the Ouachita.
    I agree with this premise. People don't realize how much outdoor recreation is available in Oklahoma. Its just that most of it isn't in the metro. Hopefully REI and its classes will help create an overall more active culture here. The Ouachita mountains in SE Oklahoma are very close to the experience you get in the North Carolina mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by hfry View Post
    Pete, with REI do they generally just have one store in cities? I was surprised when Dick's opened how we got 4 stores throughout the city all at once and while I know that isn't happening here I'm curious if they will expand to an Edmond location or maybe Norman.
    I think they'll only have one store in both Tulsa and OKC for quite a while.

In OKC, I could see one in Norman before Edmond, but I doubt there are any current plans beyond the one.

Charlotte has only two locations and they have a metro of 2.4 million people, roughly double the size of OKC. For a long time they only had one. I think one will be good for OKC for the time being. Eventually I could see Norman being added.

Milwaukee only has one REI, and that's a somewhat similar sized city. But what a get for OKC. I really really really hope REI and TJ's are actually coming. Those are two chains that really help our rep.

This is perfect. I was planning to thru hike the AT in 2017. I will be able to update my equipment. No more online ordering from REI.

I am very excited about the classes and the local garage sales, it seems like I always miss the garage sales by one weekend. I am very excited.

I think they will also only directly compete with Backwoods and Edmond Summit. There is only limited cross over between REI and Sun and Ski and very little with Dicks and Bass Pro. I think Summit will be fine, but backwoods may have issues competing since they are not local, and everything they sell REI sells with better customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Charlotte has only two locations and they have a metro of 2.4 million people, roughly double the size of OKC. For a long time they only had one. I think one will be good for OKC for the time being. Eventually I could see Norman being added.
    The whole DFW area only has 2 REIs, Cincinnati and KC both only have 1, I seriously doubt OKC will get two. There are other major metros with none.

(Just looked it up, DFW just got its Third store a few months ago. Looks like they have added some new ones in existing markets recently)

I imagine they will work closely with the OK River Sports people, with the kayaking and that sort of thing.

They also organize runs, hikes, climbs, bike rides, trips, etc.

REI was one of those places that I didn't get at first while many friends were complete fanatics. Then, it all clicked in and I'm now a pretty big fan. Beyond all this, they are almost crazy with their customer service.

As mentioned, they do a lot to engage people in the outdoor activities in their area.
    I agree with this premise. People don't realize how much outdoor recreation is available in Oklahoma. Its just that most of it isn't in the metro. Hopefully REI and its classes will help create an overall more active culture here. The Ouachita mountains in SE Oklahoma are very close to the experience you get in the North Carolina mountains.
    I think they'll only have one store in both Tulsa and OKC for quite a while.

In OKC, I could see one in Norman before Edmond, but I doubt there are any current plans beyond the one.
    I would hope they would be active with hikes/camping in the Wichita Mtns area near Lawton, just an hour or less south of metro. GREAT outdoor activities, I could even see Lawton supporting an REI easily with all the military in addition to all the camping/hiking/rappelling/mountain biking, etc that goes on in the Wichitas, not to mention Wichita Falls, TX not that far off and lots of bicycling/recreational activities there as well.

What's the latest on this, Pete? Is it more of a pipedream than a reality and if it's the latter, are we moving toward actual construction at some point?

I went to the REI store while in Bozeman, MT, and I wanted to buy the whole store. I only purchased an REI camping chair but I want so much more without having to drive to Dallas or Denver...

Absolutely not a pipe dream.

Glimcher is still finalizing plans which includes a bunch of pre-leasing.

These things take time.

I know they take time. I'm just excited, lol.

Good to see this. Hopefully this is a sign that there is starting to be a backlash against the "Black Thursday" hysteria over the past few years.

Good to see this. Hopefully this is a sign that there is starting to be a backlash against the "Black Thursday" hysteria over the past few years.
    I am hoping the same thing.

Huge sells and selling poor quality made for Black Friday crap isn't really REI's thing, so although I am sure it is normally a huge day for them, I doubt it'll be a huge impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I am hoping the same thing.

Huge sells and selling poor quality made for Black Friday crap isn't really REI's thing, so although I am sure it is normally a huge day for them, I doubt it'll be a huge impact.
    Yeah who cares if you sell a ton of crap that day if what you sell has very little profit margin or in some cases, loses money.

Well, the good news is... REI employees here in OKC will get Black Friday off for sure this year!

Anyone have any educated guesses about whether the litigation killed this project, or if simply on hold pending a resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by erasmusred View Post
    Anyone have any educated guesses about whether the litigation killed this project, or if simply on hold pending a resolution?
    No way is this project dead.

Glimcher has a ton of money invested here and tenants lined up... I suspect the slowness is more due to their own timeframe than this silly lawsuit.

Thread Information