Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: REI

Default Re: REI

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No way is this project dead.

Glimcher has a ton of money invested here and tenants lined up... I suspect the slowness is more due to their own timeframe than this silly lawsuit.
    Pete I hope you're right, in a perfect world I would've picked REI to have opened in Chisholm Creek over Cabela's. I realize they are in two different developments but after Oklahoma City shelled out more incentives for Cabela's I expected more of a distinction between them and Bass Pro. Having been inside both I was really disappointed in how similar they are. REI on the other hand is a truly different experience and would have an experience truly new to this market in my opinion. Another interesting option would have been a potential site on or near the river. With the rapids open it seems like that would have been a good fit (as they offer classes in other cities that would have complemented the area).

Any word on the development?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
    Any word on the development?
    It seems the new development is on hold while Washington Prime (formerly Glimcher) finish out Classen Curve and fill out Nichols Hills Plaza.

I still think it will happen, though.

It seems the new development is on hold while Washington Prime (formerly Glimcher) finish out Classen Curve and fill out Nichols Hills Plaza.

I still think it will happen, though.
    How much do they have left to fill? It looks like the BD Homes space is about the only empty space in CC and the really empty spots around the TJ's area are starting to fill in.

I can't stand to wait another 2 years on top of the already 2 years we've been waiting for an official ground breaking announcement. Guess I'll keep using the app and FedEx (which sucks). It'd be nice if they used UPS so I could pick up my goods at a UPS store. For some reason, you have to be home to sign for FedEx packages from REI and they won't drop off at a FedEx store...smh.

Any word on the REI in Tulsa? I drove by the proposed site a few weeks ago and saw no signs anything was happening there (thankfully). I really thought REI should've gone in on the NE corner of that intersection where the Luby's was, but Planet Fitness moved in there. I am hoping the SW corner stays a Tulsa City park.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Any word on the REI in Tulsa? I drove by the proposed site a few weeks ago and saw no signs anything was happening there (thankfully). I really thought REI should've gone in on the NE corner of that intersection where the Luby's was, but Planet Fitness moved in there. I am hoping the SW corner stays a Tulsa City park.
    The land deal for the park is in mediation.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...06589aa94.html

No way is this project dead.

Glimcher has a ton of money invested here and tenants lined up... I suspect the slowness is more due to their own timeframe than this silly lawsuit.
    Which is a real concern, unlike this absurd lawsuit.

So here we are more than two years down the line, and still nada. I don't know Pete, but I am about ready to call this one busted. There is a facebook dedicated to the opening of an REI at:

https://www.facebook.com/OKCREI/

But no postings since October of last year.

This one is going south faster than the Executive order about immigration vetting. . .

The development that this was apart of has been delayed by lawsuits.

As far as I know, REI is still in the works.

I recently talked with a local architect and developer familar with the project and the developments happening in this area and he said the lawsuit is wrapping up and that everything was still moving forward.

Blog Entries

The lawsuit was stupid in the first place and was basically one person who is out of touch with reality and the desires of her neighbors and the neighborhood.

Checked the status of this litigation on the OSCN. It looks like the district court entered a judgment on the MSJ in favor of the Defendant/Developer/OKC on 1/12/2017. The Plaintiff/Obstructionists filed an appeal shortly thereafter. The last entry made on OSCN for the appeal is dated 4/17/2017, assigning the case to the to the Court of Civil Appeals. No indications of anything happening since that time. The motions filed at the appeal level make for some interesting reading.

Was there a reason the developer didn't just acquiesce and file a new PUD that cures the alleged defects in the lawsuit? Concerns about it not being approved a second time around? It sounds like the main issues center around whether proper notice was given, including whether notice was properly given to the City of Nichols Hills (which subsequently passed a resolution waiving notice). Even if the developer ends up victorious in court, I have to wonder if re-filing would have been quicker and more cost effective than the litigation route.

Interesting that REI's in both OKC and Tulsa are tied to lawsuits by angry neighbors. I agree the OKC deal is silly but the Tulsa one has merit and hopefully REI can build locations in both cities within the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by DKG View Post
    Checked the status of this litigation on the OSCN. It looks like the district court entered a judgment on the MSJ in favor of the Defendant/Developer/OKC on 1/12/2017. The Plaintiff/Obstructionists filed an appeal shortly thereafter. The last entry made on OSCN for the appeal is dated 4/17/2017, assigning the case to the to the Court of Civil Appeals. No indications of anything happening since that time. The motions filed at the appeal level make for some interesting reading.

Was there a reason the developer didn't just acquiesce and file a new PUD that cures the alleged defects in the lawsuit? Concerns about it not being approved a second time around? It sounds like the main issues center around whether proper notice was given, including whether notice was properly given to the City of Nichols Hills (which subsequently passed a resolution waiving notice). Even if the developer ends up victorious in court, I have to wonder if re-filing would have been quicker and more cost effective than the litigation route.
    My bet is that they're not in a hurry to get moving, so this is the "easier" route.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Interesting that REI's in both OKC and Tulsa are tied to lawsuits by angry neighbors. I agree the OKC deal is silly but the Tulsa one has merit and hopefully REI can build locations in both cities within the next year.
    Looks like the Tulsa lawsuit has made it through a bunch of hurdles and the city's main claim that the park isn't a park isn't flying. I really hope the sell gets shot down. There are so many other places REI could build, no need to put it on a city park. I e-mailed REI about it about a year and half ago and they gave me some nice PR about how it was going to be developed either way, so wouldn't I rather it be REI? Since then my spending with REI has dropped from ~1K+ a year to basically nothing, maybe $40 since then. I'd rather buy from people who aren't actively trying to destroy park land, especially when they claim to be pro-environment and pro-outdoors.

Beyond the fact that it is a park, it was also gifted to the city for the specific purpose of being a park. If you start turning around and selling gifted land, it won't take long before people stop gifting you assets.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagela...de56247b4.html

That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the OKC deal and I hope REI goes to Tulsa, just not in a city park.

Looks like the Court of Civil Appeals affirmed the trial court's holding in favor of the Developer. The opinion was issued on 10/31/2017, and I don't see any evidence of the Plaintiff appealing the appeals court order. Aside from this litigation, anyone aware of other reasons this development hasn't moved forward the last 5 months? I love REI, and not having one here is one of the few things I miss about living in Houston.

18. Default Re: REI

I know nothing about it other than what I can observe and infer, but it seems the developer has taken this delay as an opportunity to solidify the existing contiguous properties with upscale national credit tenants, and also to expand Classen Curve. Could be that their strategy now is to get those properties to the point where the Triangle is the only real option for new tenants wanting to land in a proven retail environment.

Also possible that the success they’ve had in refocusing the other properties has caused them to tweak the design approach and building mix they were applying to the Triangle, which would take some time to re-work.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I know nothing about it other than what I can observe and infer, but it seems the developer has taken this delay as an opportunity to solidify the existing contiguous properties with upscale national credit tenants, and also to expand Classen Curve. Could be that their strategy now is to get those properties to the point where the Triangle is the only real option for new tenants wanting to land in a proven retail environment.

Also possible that the success they’ve had in refocusing the other properties has caused them to tweak the design approach and building mix they were applying to the Triangle, which would take some time to re-work.
    Thanks for the insight Urbanized. I follow the board quite a bit, but don't really understand how these developers operate.

20. Default Re: REI

Those are only guesses on my part, but I’d think that they still intend to go forward with the Triangle as they’ve had success with the others and the Triangle property is even more desirable from a location/configuration/access/visibility standpoint. Hopefully REI is still committed also.

I surely hope REI is still committed. My membership dividend would be much more of a reward if they had a brick&mortar store here.

Anyone have any indication that this is moving forward or dead? In terms of retail, the only places I still have to go to Dallas/Frisco for are IKEA and REI. I was really hoping that I could cross one off this list. I'd give both Bass Pro and Cabela's up if we could get an REI here. I realize it's unlikely, but I also think it would be awesome if they were to build near the Riversport area and you'd have the potential for some of their classes to be brought here as well.

From what I understand it’s still coming, just not in a spot I think anyone would agree is good.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    From what I understand it’s still coming, just not in a spot I think anyone would agree is good.
    Which is?

[QUOTE=jonny d;1046060]Which is?[/QUOTE

You’ll be disappointed soon enough. Close to Classen curve tho. Like half a mile.

Thread Information