Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REI finally coming to Oklahoma!

Default Re: REI finally coming to Oklahoma!

That sucks.

I can say this now...

They are also coming to the Glimcher property north of Classen Curve.

Plans have already been drawn but don't know if the deal is signed.

This is what I was hinting about before.

Will make my youngest and many, many friends still active in Scouting very, very happy. I find myself smiling a bit too for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That sucks.
    heaven forbid we share the excitement that a store is coming to the state. Chill with the Tulsa hate.

great spot to put it though. Right by the river and in the middle of their trail system.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan_in_okc View Post
    heaven forbid we share the excitement that a store is coming to the state. Chill with the Tulsa hate.
    Just sucks that they're going to Tulsa first. Not trying to hate on Tulsa. I'm glad for them. Just wish they were coming to OKC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just sucks that they're going to Tulsa first. Not trying to hate on Tulsa. I'm glad for them. Just wish they were coming to OKC.
    Pay attention and chill. They are coming to OKC. This Tulsa obsession is just weird,

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Pay attention and chill. They are coming to OKC. This Tulsa obsession is just weird,

I think it totally sucks that they got the Garth concerts first. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I think it totally sucks that they got the Garth concerts first. Not.
    WOAH WOAH WOAH. Garth is off limits.

Blog Entries

The site in Riverpark for REI has been approved by the city and the development is moving forward. But, angry local citizens are now taking the fight directly to REI itself. TulsaNow is starting a campaign to email complaints about the quality and size of the project to REI execs and someone has started a twitter account @REITulsa attacking the project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    The site in Riverpark for REI has been approved by the city and the development is moving forward. But, angry local citizens are now taking the fight directly to REI itself. TulsaNow is starting a campaign to email complaints about the quality and size of the project to REI execs and someone has started a twitter account @REITulsa attacking the project.
    Get a life people. There are so many other things to get fired up over.

^Seriously? You're going to come on a city forum and dog on people who are upset about public park property that was donated for park purposes being turned over to developers for a crappy strip mall?

Someday I want to live in a place where stuff like this doesn't happen without a massive ****-storm. People need to care about where they live.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie1 View Post
    Get a life people. There are so many other things to get fired up over.
    No, accepting crap developments in prime areas is stupid. Riverparks is a valuable Tulsa asset that will be harmed by a standard ugly big box store in a sea of parking.

Tulsa is able at times to come together and stop crap developments. Citizens were able to force the Simon outlet mall that was going to be built next to Turkey Mountain to move to Jenks. Members of the city council said they would have worked to block or improve the REI project if they had been able to vote on it, but the Mayor was able to work around them and the planning commission.

REI can work in the park, I’m not against the location overall. REI has well done stores in other locations that could be a benefit to the park, but the design the developer (not REI) has put forth so far just plain sucks. I am hopeful that shaming REI will work and REI will force the developer to redo the project.

Currently the store will have a 30' wall right next to the trails with a couple of small trees between the trail and the wall:

Blog Entries

Here's the look of the store:

Hopefully REI will realize what a special location this could be and the design of the store reflects that. Regardless it will be a hub for the south river trails and the location is good for renting/demoing bikes for the trails and nearby Turkey Mountain.

I think this will still likely happen, but there are obviously some major issues to take care of first.

REI deal on Riverside may hinge on community support - Tulsa World: Government

The development along the Arkansas River targeting Oklahoma’s first REI sporting-goods store may hinge on community support in an issue that is giving city officials flashbacks to previously stalled developments.

Recent opposition to the agreement to sell land on the southwest corner of 71st Street and Riverside Drive for development now has the targeted anchor tenant, Recreational Equipment Inc., asking for a resolution.

It's an extremely ironic situation.

REI, from what I've been able to discern, is one of those trendy/urban outdoor/recreational retailers that most people who have them enjoy. And it's planned to go along one of the trendy/urban outdoor/recreational areas of Tulsa.

I think it should happen, honestly. It's not impacting the trails in an overtly negative fashion. The trails will still be there. My only complaint is the layout of the parking lot, which I find to be rather lame.

Tulsa residents trying to nix Helmerich Park retail development

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 11, 2016

TULSA – Development on the site that could be home to the state’s first Recreational Equipment Inc. store is the subject of an ongoing lawsuit.

Tulsa resident Craig Immel filed a lawsuit against the Tulsa Public Facilities Authority and the city of Tulsa, asking for a temporary injunction on the final negotiations of land at 71st Street and Riverside Drive. In January, former Tulsa Mayor Terry Young, former River Parks Authority Trustee Herb Beattie, and residents Ray Pearcey and Clayda Stead added their names to the lawsuit.

The land is part of the 67-acre Helmerich Park, which was acquired by the city in 1991.

In August, the Tulsa Public Facilities Authority approved a contract to sell 12.3 acres of the park to CBRE|UCR, a Dallas-based development firm. The developer is planning a 50,000-square-foot shopping center, with a 27,000-square-foot outdoor sporting goods store. The speculation is that REI Inc. is the development’s anchor, but a company spokeswoman previously said that it has not signed a lease in Tulsa.

Immel and the other plaintiffs do not think the TPFA has the legal right to sell the land. The parties asked for injunctive relief to give adequate time to review the documents related to the property, the title abstract, and the proposed transaction between the TPFA and the potential lessee or buyer.

The lawsuit dates back to August when Immel first filed a petition. The city of Tulsa was added in late January, which is when the last action was taken in the lawsuit.

Immel lives near River Parks, of which Helmerich Park is a part, and said he enjoys the large, open, green space.

“A shopping center on eight or nine acres right in the center really disrupts that whole system and the whole intention of developing the park,” Immel said.

The TPFA denies Immel’s claim that a temporary injunction should be granted, according to its response to Immel’s petition. The TPFA is being represented by the city’s litigation division manager, Gerald Bender, and Stephan Wangsgard.

The response states that the land is not dedicated as a park in any written document. The TPFA even tried to develop the property in 2013. It sent out a request for proposals, but no viable proposals were received.

“The TPFA will suffer immediate damage and harm if it cannot exercise its legal right and power to sell and convey (the land) to a private developer,” said Bender and Wangsgard in their response.

Immel said the plaintiffs are also concerned about the shopping center’s design, which includes 5 acres of parking. He said he and the other plaintiffs are not against the store.

“We like (REI),” he said. “The people that are fighting the development are REI customers. We want an REI in Tulsa.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I can say this now...

They are also coming to the Glimcher property north of Classen Curve.

Plans have already been drawn but don't know if the deal is signed.

This is what I was hinting about before.
    Good. I'd really like to start taking advantage of my lifetime membership I purchased at their Flagstaff store back in August!

I'm also just generally super excited because REI has classes that they teach--kinda like what Home Depot does. There's already a course that I'm ready to sign up for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Tulsa residents trying to nix Helmerich Park retail development

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 11, 2016

TULSA – Development on the site that could be home to the state’s first Recreational Equipment Inc. store is the subject of an ongoing lawsuit.

Tulsa resident Craig Immel filed a lawsuit against the Tulsa Public Facilities Authority and the city of Tulsa, asking for a temporary injunction on the final negotiations of land at 71st Street and Riverside Drive. In January, former Tulsa Mayor Terry Young, former River Parks Authority Trustee Herb Beattie, and residents Ray Pearcey and Clayda Stead added their names to the lawsuit.

The land is part of the 67-acre Helmerich Park, which was acquired by the city in 1991.

In August, the Tulsa Public Facilities Authority approved a contract to sell 12.3 acres of the park to CBRE|UCR, a Dallas-based development firm. The developer is planning a 50,000-square-foot shopping center, with a 27,000-square-foot outdoor sporting goods store. The speculation is that REI Inc. is the development’s anchor, but a company spokeswoman previously said that it has not signed a lease in Tulsa.

Immel and the other plaintiffs do not think the TPFA has the legal right to sell the land. The parties asked for injunctive relief to give adequate time to review the documents related to the property, the title abstract, and the proposed transaction between the TPFA and the potential lessee or buyer.

The lawsuit dates back to August when Immel first filed a petition. The city of Tulsa was added in late January, which is when the last action was taken in the lawsuit.

Immel lives near River Parks, of which Helmerich Park is a part, and said he enjoys the large, open, green space.

“A shopping center on eight or nine acres right in the center really disrupts that whole system and the whole intention of developing the park,” Immel said.

The TPFA denies Immel’s claim that a temporary injunction should be granted, according to its response to Immel’s petition. The TPFA is being represented by the city’s litigation division manager, Gerald Bender, and Stephan Wangsgard.

The response states that the land is not dedicated as a park in any written document. The TPFA even tried to develop the property in 2013. It sent out a request for proposals, but no viable proposals were received.

“The TPFA will suffer immediate damage and harm if it cannot exercise its legal right and power to sell and convey (the land) to a private developer,” said Bender and Wangsgard in their response.

Immel said the plaintiffs are also concerned about the shopping center’s design, which includes 5 acres of parking. He said he and the other plaintiffs are not against the store.

“We like (REI),” he said. “The people that are fighting the development are REI customers. We want an REI in Tulsa.”
    Who knew there were NIMBYs in Enlightened urban Tulsa.

The land is a public park, the citizens should have a say in whether or not it is developed and if so how it is developed. If this better integrated into its riverfront setting and location along the trails creating more of a destination it would have more support. Tulsan's don't want their parkland turned into a strip mall, even if it is REI, and I don't blame them.

On Google Maps, it looks like the land was already turned for something but of course that image can be from like two Octobers ago. Anyone have a current pic of that corner?

I honestly see nothing wrong with the development. Maybe make it a little more aesthetically pleasing with some more trees. Otherwise, it's a nice spot!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    On Google Maps, it looks like the land was already turned for something but of course that image can be from like two Octobers ago. Anyone have a current pic of that corner?

I honestly see nothing wrong with the development. Maybe make it a little more aesthetically pleasing with some more trees. Otherwise, it's a nice spot!
    It's currently the site of volleyball courts and has been for many years.

I spend hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars at REI a year. I often travel to Dallas to go to REI (not to mention that I visit one in every city I travel to who has them). I am completely against the development of this corner. There is absolutely no reason why it needs to go there, the vast majority of REIs are in strip centers and are a typical mid-size strip center anchor. The River Trails are the nicest recreational asset (quantifying statement: that is large and widely used) of any city in Oklahoma (probably region), and really could rival anything in pretty much any city, even Seattle. There is no reason to uglify them with 1/4 mile of strip center backside. REI could move into Tulsa Hills, still be connected to the trails and have just as much traffic.

Now there are some REI stores that do a good job of integrating into local trails/area. But these are only the flagship stores and there is no way they will invest the money in Tulsa.

Really, the fact that REI is pushing for that land makes me think less of them, since they are supposed to be all about nature and getting outside, but they want to build on a public park?

This park is also home to a large vollyball complex that stays quite busy.

Thread Information