Widgets Magazine

Thread: Central OK "Booms"

1. Default Central OK "Booms"

Reports started yesterday morning about random booms that gently shake everything for a second. Yesterday they happened for about 30 mins to an hour and at some point were every 30 seconds. They seemed to start back up over the last 10 minutes here Friday morning.

So far no indication as to what they are...a lot of guessing though.

http://www.koco.com/news/what-is-the...ahoma/30598094

http://kfor.com/2015/01/08/strange-b...d-in-oklahoma/

http://www.normantranscript.com/news...fd5255c75.html

“There are some stories going around that’s what it was, but based on the research we’ve done here, it doesn’t appear what people heard is related to the cryoseism phenomena,” said Matthew Day, National Weather Service Meteorologist. “There’s not enough moisture, and the temperatures are not cold enough. That happens in areas where you have a lot of water flowing through a lot of rock. We don’t know what it was, we just know what it is not.”

Default Re: Central OK "Booms"

Frostquakes. Seems pretty accurate to me.

Channel 9 at 10:00 last night said 'frostquakes' too.

4. Default Re: Central OK "Booms"

National Weather Service has already ruled "frostquakes" out since ground temps and make up aren't favorable, but hey...it gets headlines on the news and sounds catchy.

Could this be similar to booms associated with shallow earthquakes or perhaps pre-earthquake?

Earthquake Booms, Seneca Guns, and Other Sounds

I heard them yesterday while working in my office in SE Norman a little after 11am. I'd hear the boom first like a cannon from afar, then maybe just a second or two later a large framed picture that I have on one of my walls would slightly rattle. It kept repeating like this almost like clockwork for several minutes. It didn't feel like any earthquake we've ever had. I did however check the message board to see if anyone updated the earthquake thread. I then went to the USGS site to see if there was any updated activity but saw nothing. I eventually went outside to see if I could find out where it was coming from. It sounded like someone was setting off an explosive blast somewhere off in the distance towards the south. After a few minutes, they stopped altogether.

While I don't know what it was, I certainly don't buy the "frostquake" theory. If you Google it, it appears this phenomenon has been recently happening all across the country at various times and no one seems to have any explanation.

It's just the New Madrid Caldara flexing before it blows, which will set the Yellowstone one off also. nothing to worry about.

There was a boom and slight shake in Stillwater at 4:25pm Friday. It was not recorded by OGS or USGS.

Took me a while to find this thread, but this may be the cause.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ists-know-why/

10. Default Re: Central OK "Booms"

Quote Originally Posted by Video Expert View Post
    While I don't know what it was, I certainly don't buy the "frostquake" theory. If you Google it, it appears this phenomenon has been recently happening all across the country at various times and no one seems to have any explanation.
    I've seen enough movies that start like this to know exactly what is happening. We are about to be overrun by some very large monsters that have been awakened by humans destroying the planet!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I've seen enough movies that start like this to know exactly what is happening. We are about to be overrun by some very large monsters that have been awakened by humans destroying the planet!
    https://www.hppr.org/post/whats-sour...cross-oklahoma

...As National Geographic reports, scientists soon realized that this wasn’t the first time the odd wave would move across the Sooner State, nor would it be the last. Researchers tracked down the source of the pulsating waves, which originated at the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant in Pittsburgh County, in the eastern part of the state. The strange waves were the result of munitions explosions, a common occurrence at the plant.

But what wasn’t so easily explained was how these explosions could send strange waves across the entire state. Scientists now believe the phenomenon is actually a pair of waves—one traveling through the shallow subsurface and another in the air just above the ground. Joshua Carmichael of Los Alamos National Laboratory believes “nature is conspiring to make the signals travel in such a way that we can’t tell whether they’re acoustic or seismic.”

Strange happenings indeed.

Fascinating. Thanks for the link!

13. Default Re: Central OK "Booms"

If those can be heard through the ground, can fracking being done in the middle of the night?

Thread Information