Widgets Magazine

Thread: Was Oklahoma City ever considered a contender for NHL expansion?

Default Was Oklahoma City ever considered a contender for NHL expansion?

A friend told me that during the 1997 NHL expansion that Oklahoma City was a top contender for an NHL expansion team, but because the Ford Center was not completed in time the team we were supposed to get was basically stolen from our grasp by Nashville. Has anyone else heard this?

Default Re: Was Oklahoma City ever considered a contender for NHL expansion?

We WERE in the running for an NHL team at that time. The other conventional wisdom i that the team was going to called the Redhawks, and logos and merchandise had already been created. SO, when we didn't get the NHL, the baseball team as renamed so as not to let all the merch go to waste.

3. Default Re: Was Oklahoma City ever considered a contender for NHL expansion?

I actually worked on that. Part of our efforts were getting corporate support lined up in advance. We were very successful in doing that. Although our economy was not as robust at the time, most of our major companies as well as smaller ones committed to buy season tickets and sponsorships. I recall the Coke bought 25 front row tickets. I think there were about 24 cities competing for the teams and we made it to the final 6 cities. I believe that our demographics worked against us at the time. We are so spread out that we don't look good on paper. In other words not enough density. Since then OKC has proved that this model does not mean anything when it comes to us. The thunder and Outlet Mall are prime examples.

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    We WERE in the running for an NHL team at that time. The other conventional wisdom i that the team was going to called the Redhawks, and logos and merchandise had already been created. SO, when we didn't get the NHL, the baseball team as renamed so as not to let all the merch go to waste.
    I've here more than a few people say the Redhawks logo looked like an NHL logo. There definitely could be truth to that rumor.

5. Default Re: Was Oklahoma City ever considered a contender for NHL expansion?

There is more than "could be" truth to the rumor. And by the way, an early Redhawks logo had stylized hockey sticks in it.

The Oklahoma City Redhawks as a hockey team.....cool!

It would also explain why originally they were branded as the Oklahoma Redhawks rather than the Oklahoma City Redhawks, despite there being an AAA team in Tulsa. The hockey team would have been branded as the state's rather than the city's.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    It would also explain why originally they were branded as the Oklahoma Redhawks rather than the Oklahoma City Redhawks, despite there being an AAA team in Tulsa. The hockey team would have been branded as the state's rather than the city's.
    Tulsa hasn't had an AAA team in decades. The Drillers are AA.

Blog Entries

1997 NHL (4 team) expansion derby:

Oklahoma City & Houston were among the six finalist.

Oklahoma City's NBA success story rooted in NHL failure

Oklahoma City was among six cities competing for the four slots. Oklahoma City had an arena ready to be built and investors ready to pay an estimated $80 million for a new team. "Oklahoma City was among six cities competing for the four slots. Oklahoma City had an arena ready to be built and investors ready to pay an estimated $80 million for a new team."
    Oklahoma City's NBA success story rooted in NHL failure | News OK

OKC was very close to getting an NHL franchise. It's been a blessing that it didn't happen.

I would rather have had the NHL.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhey View Post
    I wouldn't...

But for the city, a NBA team is a way, way bigger deal. The national and international exposure is way higher. Obviously it hasn't hurt that OKC has one of the most marketable and well known athletes in the world.

I love the NHL but landing the NBA is much, much better for the reasons dankrutka listed. If the city were to have had an NHL team as successful as the Thunder it would've been cool and good for the city but the impact wouldn't have been anywhere near as much as what the Thunder have done for OKC.

I loathe the NBA. That is my reasoning.

NHL is way better than the NBA, the NBA has been ruined by flopping, terrible officiating and players teaming up with each other to try and win an easy championship.

The NHL is anybody's league, the playoffs are the best of any sport and guys aren't whining every time they fall down.

I thought I read somewhere about the Chicago Blackhawks protesting the possible use of the name 'Redhawks' in the event the city was awarded a team.

Seems odd to name a team Redhawks when you already have Blackhawks and Red Wings.

(Nevermind the fact the CFL had Ottawa Roughriders and Saskatchewan Roughriders for years)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cook View Post
    I thought I read somewhere about the Chicago Blackhawks protesting the possible use of the name 'Redhawks' in the event the city was awarded a team.

Seems odd to name a team Redhawks when you already have Blackhawks and Red Wings.

(Nevermind the fact the CFL had Ottawa Roughriders and Saskatchewan Roughriders for years)
    Kansas City was awarded an NHL expansion franchise in 1974, they originally chose the name Mohawks; Chicago Blackhawks protested that name which was later changed to Scouts.

The Kansas City franchise was to be called the Kansas City Mohawks, since the Kansas City metropolitan area includes portions of Missouri and Kansas.[2] The name would have combined Missouri's postal abbreviation (MO) and the Kansas nickname of "Jayhawkers." However, the Chicago Black Hawks objected because "Mohawks" sounded too much like "Black Hawks."
    Kansas City Scouts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The name 'RedHawks' would have been protested as well if OKC had obtained that 4th NHL expansion franchise in 1997.

Because baseball doesn't have the Red Sox and the White Sox.....one of which just so happens to be in Chicago...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    OKC was very close to getting an NHL franchise. It's been a blessing that it didn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I wouldn't...
    But for the city, a NBA team is a way, way bigger deal. The national and international exposure is way higher. Obviously it hasn't hurt that OKC has one of the most marketable and well known athletes in the world.
    I love hockey in every incarnation, but I was / am not in favor of the NHL expanding here in OKC. I can't afford NHL prices and like to sit just a bit above the glass. Apparently I was one of the stupid ones, but I had season tix to the Blazers and LOVED the whole experience. I also like going to as many Baron's games as possible. There's just no way I can feed my hockey addiction with good seats at NHL prices.
    Don't know quite what you mean here, but if it's the organization and league management you mean, I would be hard-pressed to find a better sports management / promotion organization than the NBA (and a worse one than the NHL). I'm no fan of the game, but the league management is one of the best, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post
    NHL is way better than the NBA, the NBA has been ruined by flopping, terrible officiating and players teaming up with each other to try and win an easy championship.

The NHL is anybody's league, the playoffs are the best of any sport and guys aren't whining every time they fall down.
    Like my previous comments, I assume you're talking about the play of the game, and not the league management. I don't know about that. I don't watch basketball and can't say much about your criticism, but I agree wholeheartedly about enjoying the playoffs. The NHL league management, however ... Well, suffice it to say that I hope ice hockey can survive the league.

Well, that's fine, but it's national and international popularity far outpaces the NHL. And I absolutely love the NBA product.

Quote Originally Posted by GoOKC1991 View Post

First, the NBA certainly hasn't been "ruined" by flopping. It's a problem, but a minor one that the league has addressed and there is noticeably less flopping now. The problem with flopping in soccer is ten times what it is in the NBA. Second, how are NBA officials worse than in any other sport? People can't wrap their heads around the fact that officiating will never be perfect. I actually think NBA officials are fine and their replay system has helped to shore up critical bad calls. Name one sport where the officials are considered good. Lol. Finally, have you been paying attention to these superteams? The Heat won two titles and had to work hard to get them. The Nets superteam was a complete failure. The Cavs superteam is mediocre so far. The Rockets superteam is in the middle of the Western race. And the Spurs and Mavs both have recent titles without any semblance of a superteam. There are probably 10 teams that could legitemately win a title this season with almost none of them being superteams - the race is wide open. In short, I don't agree with any of your reasons that the NBA is "ruined."

Blog Entries

Indoor major professional sports leagues. *

National Basketball Association vs. National Hockey League

Attendance averages for the last five years.

NBA is a better long-term fit for Oklahoma City than the NHL.

Selected cities of the NBA & the NHL:
    Cities 2014 MSA Population 2014-15 2013-14 2012-13 2011-12 2010-11
    NBA Portland 2,314,000 19,491 19,746 19,824 20,496 20,530
    NBA San Antonio 2,278,000 18,685 18,415 18,341 18,396 18,314
    NBA Orlando 2,268,000 16,853 16,245 17,545 18,898 18,971
    NBA Sacramento 2,216,000 16,324 16,291 13,749 14,508 13,890
    NHL Columbus 1,968,000 15,618 14,698 14,564 14,460 13,658
    NHL San Jose 1,920,000 17,385 17,133 17,561 17,562 17,562
    NBA Memphis 1,342,000 17,212 16,718 16,624 15,517 14,650
    NBA Oklahoma City 1,320,000 18,203 18,203 18,203 18,203 18,148
    NHL Raleigh 1,215,000 12,456 15,483 17,558 16,042 16,415
    NBA Salt Lake City 1,140,000 18,548 18,175 18,680 19,306 19,511

* Ten U. S. Cities with only one major league franchise (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL).
    Note: The NBA & the NHL teams play an 82 game schedule (41 home/41 away).

Thread Information