Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Okies sure get shook easily.

The Tulsa seismogram at the top of this page indicates that it took five MINUTES to settle back down! (scroll the image to the right to see it; took me a long time to discover this.)

Wowser! That felt larger or closer than the one this afternoon from over here by Lake Overholser.

Another M4.5 centered in Crescent, OK. Yeesh ... definitely the biggest day we've had around here in a while. I wonder if they're foreshocks for a larger event or if our earthquakes are just gradually becoming stronger and these may be the new norm soon.

Blog Entries

Looks like 9 4.0's or higher in 60 days and 8 total in the five months before. Probably not a fair statistical comparison on such a short term but will see if that is an upward trend.

Both the Meers and Tulsa seismograms at the top of the page show very unusual patterns for a bit more than two hours, early in the evening, before the second shake. Anybody know what those might indicate? The swings are not nearly rapid enough to be actual quake traces, but since both graphs show the same behavior at the same time although the instruments are almost 200 miles apart and in very different geologic areas, I can't think it was some sort of local disturbance. 'Tis a puzzlement...

An interesting KFOR report which shows video from a Crescent grocery store at the time of the earthquake.

Crescent earthquakes damage schools and a grocery store | KFOR.com

Very early this morning (about 03:20), I heard an extremely loud explosion in NW OKC. Only saw one other person report it on Twitter. Can't find any info about it. How would I check the seismographs for this time? Was curious if anything registered. This was loud! Anybody else happen to hear it?

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Very early this morning (about 03:20), I heard an extremely loud explosion in NW OKC. Only saw one other person report it on Twitter. Can't find any info about it. How would I check the seismographs for this time? Was curious if anything registered. This was loud! Anybody else happen to hear it?
    Earthquakes

Quote Originally Posted by pw405 View Post
    Or this: Oklahoma Earthquakes

After slacking off some, the earthquakes have been stepping it up in frequency for the past several days. At least they're still strongly tending to center out in the middle of nowhere and far enough away from the city limits to probably not be felt by a lot of people, unless they get extra strong.

4.4 up near Langston about 15 minutes ago. Some report a pretty sizeable jolt on social media.

M4.4 - 8km W of Langston, Oklahoma

Wow, someone is reporting an earthquake on here for the first time since last August. I sensed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Wow, someone is reporting an earthquake on here for the first time since last August. I sensed it.
    And it looks like a *second* one about 11:35 this AM just a bit NW of that previous one near Langston...looksl like the first one had a pretty narrow range of impact - you either felt a pretty good jolt or nothing. But I sure felt it here in E OK County.

M3.4 - 9km NE of Guthrie, Oklahoma

Still not powerful enough to have any governmental authority able to regulate the activity that causes them. Weak sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Still not powerful enough to have any governmental authority able to regulate the activity that causes them. Weak sauce.
    What would be strong enough? Killer quakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Wrong - IIRC, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission has the authority to regulate SWD's within a 6 mile radius of any 4.0 or greater earthquake. I know of several instances where SWD wells that have been impacted - here's an example from this past September -

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...-near-cushing/

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    What would be strong enough? Killer quakes?
    Maybe a federal lawsuit will get the state off of high center.

Environmental groups warn of earthquake lawsuit against 4 Oklahoma energy companies | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Wrong - IIRC, the Oklahoma Corporation Commission has the authority to regulate SWD's within a 6 mile radius of any 4.0 or greater earthquake. I know of several instances where SWD wells that have been impacted - here's an example from this past September -

https://stateimpact.npr.org/oklahoma...-near-cushing/
    It appears the CC only has the authority to ask "pretty please" in their requests.

Legislators hear updates on earthquakes, links to energy production | News OK (10/31/2015)
    Since March, staff at the Corporation Commission's Oil and Gas Conservation Division have issued six rounds of voluntary directives to disposal well operators to change their operations in areas of recent earthquake activity.
    At various times in the past several months, Murphy's colleagues on the commission have publicly expressed reservations about its authority to require disposal well operators to shut in or reduce depths or volumes in response to concerns over man-made earthquakes.

The oil and gas industry largely has cooperated with the voluntary directives on induced seismicity. But a crack showed in their unified front after a small Tulsa company, Marjo Operating Co. Inc., challenged a directive in Payne County earlier this month

19. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Im up at the francis tuttle in Edmond and it just felt like a bomb went off inside. Should be in the high 4's if I had to guess

huh... didn't feel anything near downtown. -M

21. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

It was a 3.2 just north of where I am. Amazing how much stronger they feel when you are right on top of it

22. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Yeah, it really shook our house near East 15th and I-35 (Edmond). Went by really fast, but felt like a tree landed on the house. Actually went outside to check.

23. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Earthquake Discussion

Nothing downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    It was a 3.2 just north of where I am. Amazing how much stronger they feel when you are right on top of it
    It probably reflects why not all that much is being done about the earthquakes. They usually center out in the middle of nowhere and their strength doesn't travel far. Might as well hope the next hot spot for earthquakes centers under the State Capitol, if you want more done about them.

Earthquakes have recently picked up in frequency having gone just over 60 a week rate. They are usually under that.

Just had a nice little shake rattle and roll about 5 minutes ago in NW OKC.... I'd say it probably lasted for 15 seconds. Haven't witnessed one in quite some time!

Thread Information