Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

What do you all think the long-term viability of Alaska Airlines here in OKC is?

I'm hoping they stick around for a long time. Having a non-stop to Seattle is pretty sweet.

Nothing is a given when it comes to airlines, but I think the outlook is good to stick around. They are mentioning the possibility of increasing capacity or number of flights if it continues to go well.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    July 1? I don't see how that is not new. They might have flown a few routes for a few days before OKC, but that's still new. Just like when you buy a new car other people have likely test driven it.
    Not saying it's not new, I'm saying it's not a plane specifically for our route. "has not been used on another route".

It in fact has been used on several routes for AS.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Not saying it's not new, I'm saying it's not a plane specifically for our route. "has not been used on another route".

It in fact has been used on several routes for AS.
    You're still not understanding what I said in my original post. I didn't mean that kind of plane had not been used on other Alaska Airlines routes. I was only talking about the specific plane which will be flying between SEA and OKC

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    You're still not understanding what I said in my original post. I didn't mean that kind of plane had not been used on other Alaska Airlines routes. I was only talking about the specific plane which will be flying between SEA and OKC
    Now I'm confused. I thought what you originally said as well - one of the TV stations mentioned the "brand new" plane. But, maybe what Catch is saying is that one single plane is not used specifically for any one route. If that's what he meant, maybe the "brand new" plane was used on the first day as a sort of symbolism of the new route. But it won't be dedicated to that route.

Have I confused everyone even more? In fact ---- Who am I? Why am I here?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Now I'm confused. I thought what you originally said as well - one of the TV stations mentioned the "brand new" plane. But, maybe what Catch is saying is that one single plane is not used specifically for any one route. If that's what he meant, maybe the "brand new" plane was used on the first day as a sort of symbolism of the new route. But it won't be dedicated to that route.

Have I confused everyone even more? In fact ---- Who am I? Why am I here?
    Yes, and this explains all.

"Young Caine: You cannot see.
    Master Po: You think I cannot see?
    Young Caine: Of all things, to live in darkness must be worst.
    Master Po: Fear is the only darkness.
    "
    Kung Fu (TV) - 1972

But in answer to your question, that plane will remain on the OKC - SEA route for now.

Gotcha, lj.

Either way, Alaska has excellent service. I flew in and out on the inaugural flight (SEA-OKC-SEA) and the service was excellent. I flew SEA-OKC several days later and had good service as well.

I hope they do well enough to add some flights (PDX!!!!!!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Gotcha, lj.

Either way, Alaska has excellent service. I flew in and out on the inaugural flight (SEA-OKC-SEA) and the service was excellent. I flew SEA-OKC several days later and had good service as well.

I hope they do well enough to add some flights (PDX!!!!!!!!!)
    I agree and their rep stressed how service oriented they are to travelers from benefits to frequent flyers to on board amenities. Their ticket change fee of $125.00 is also less than most carriers. She also thought they should be considered to be a "legacy carrier" since they've been in business for over 80 years.

9. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Alaska has been a long-time favourite on the west coast from the reviews online and what I gather from elsewhere on the 'net. Good to see the service has gotten off to a good start and it's always nice to have someone mention the possibility of increased frequency/larger aircraft. Which is why there is a big push by longtime fans to support it at its home base of SEA as Delta keeps building its own hub there.

Plus AS and AA are quite cozy (full mileage earning, crossover elite benefits), so that should help AS out here too given AA's large following here. Curious what, if anything, AA and AS do to enhance their relationship once the merger is completed.

11. Default Re: 2015 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Im still not super excited about the size of the plane, but it could be worse. I'll be hopping on this flight for my next trip to SEA in Sep.

HangryHippo Guest

I much prefer the Embraer 170/75s and 190/95s to any of the CRJ jets. I think they're pretty comfortable and new, which is always nice.

In the Will Rogers World Airport thread I posted a graphic of airline rents and costs per passenger. For Alaska, they estimated 22,800 enplaned passengers per year. It is likely this figure came from Alaska, which gives us some insight as to what would be considered a successful load factor. That 22,800 comes out to about 63 per day.

In the coming weeks we will get the first passenger numbers for Alaska for July. So far they only had one canceled flight, which means they will have operated 30 flights. Hopefully the average will work out to greater than 63.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Im still not super excited about the size of the plane, but it could be worse. I'll be hopping on this flight for my next trip to SEA in Sep.
    Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Ejets. No reason to be skeptical at all.

I love the Ejets over the CRJ's. I recently booked a trip to Calgary on Delta and ended up picking MSP over SLC simply because of the EMB-170 rather than the CRJ-900. It may have been a few bucks more but the EMBs are def. much more roomier IMO.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I love the Ejets over the CRJ's. I recently booked a trip to Calgary on Delta and ended up picking MSP over SLC simply because of the EMB-170 rather than the CRJ-900. It may have been a few bucks more but the EMBs are def. much more roomier IMO.
    I've done the same thing. They're much more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Writing from the sky club in atl, I will tell you that I will as almost anything to avoid that miserable msp-OKC route. Last year I flew sfo-atl-OKC to avoid msp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Writing from the sky club in atl, I will tell you that I will as almost anything to avoid that miserable msp-OKC route. Last year I flew sfo-atl-OKC to avoid msp.
    What's wrong with MSP? I always found it pleasant to connect through. I kind of miss it since I dumped DL for AA. Always meant to pick up a North Stars shirt but never got around to it.

They fly tiny little 2 and 1 crjs with no first class. Tiny tiny plane for 2 hours...especially if you are a big guy.

They fly tiny little 2 and 1 crjs with no first class. Tiny tiny plane for 2 hours...especially if you are a big guy.
    You'll be pleased to hear that in the fall schedule it is CRJ900 with FC.

Fair enough - from your post I misinterpreted that your issue was with MSP, not the CR2s - totally agree - I'd also avoid the CR2 at all costs!

There was a flight coming in this morning on the east runway about 917 am. It appeared to be a mid size to larger dual prop plane. No real marking on it. Anyone have any info on the plane or flight? Just curious as it looked a little out of place and came in at a weird angle

Flightaware shows a Cessna 421 arriving from Poteau around that time, that's it

There was a flight coming in this morning on the east runway about 917 am. It appeared to be a mid size to larger dual prop plane. No real marking on it. Anyone have any info on the plane or flight? Just curious as it looked a little out of place and came in at a weird angle
    Could have been one of the new OKANG aircraft - wouldn't show up on Flightaware. They are larger, twin props (MC-12W). Air National Guard unit transitions with arrival of MC-12W aircraft

Wasn't Cessna. I don't think it was the MC-12W as it looked larger, wider and I thought it had snub nose versus pointed nose. Not sure whether it had 2 or 4 props but think 2.

Thread Information