Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver

1. Default Denver

I created a thread on Portland and mentioned I would do the same for Denver. I know Denver much better than my one visit to Portland. I have done quite a bit of video and photos the times I have been there.

Denver Trip - Downtown Denver (April 19 2011) on Vimeo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willia...7630471329652/

If you saw the Portland thread, this is the kind of thing you see in "established" cities. We will never have this. What's left in the central business district will be gone and no one who owns what's left cares to keep it. Not counting other districts.

Default Re: Denver

Great pictures! Denver has a great blog that tracks all of the new development downtown and in surrounding urban neighborhoods. Check it out: DenverInfill Blog

3. Default Re: Denver

I was born and raised in Denver (Well the Western suburbs of Arvada and Littleton). Makes me homesick. Right around the time that I left they started investing money in the Lodo and area just NW by the river. It used to be a bad part of the neighborhood that no one dared go into. They cleaned that area up and now is full of fun restaurants, breweries and the like. The amusement park Eliches even moved their park into the area from the Lakewood suburb and they built their professional baseball park in the area. Denver is not the same city when I left in 1997. They have had a real renascence and the city proper and suburbs have grown. The last couple times I was there I don't even recognize the Chatfield/Columbine/Ken Karyl areas I spent most of my youth in. Heck even Golden is not the same quaint little town anymore.

The area that we live in (between Aurora and Centennial) was built out in the late 90's. There wasn't much out here before then....of course Centennial and Lone Tree probably didn't exist when you lived here. A friend had a condo off C-470 & Quincy, I was up here not long after they moved in around 1994, there was a little strip center and gas station. When I came back to visit in 2000 the whole area off his balcony had been built out.

My office is a block from Coors Field in LoDo.

Nice photos! Denver has certainly become a much more vibrant city in the 6 years I've lived here, it truly gets better every day. I think The Union Station renovation is going to be a huge catalyst to move the city forward at an even faster pace. Next time you are coming to Denver let us know and I'm sure a few locals would be glad to show you around.

6. Default Re: Denver

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The area that we live in (between Aurora and Centennial) was built out in the late 90's. There wasn't much out here before then....of course Centennial and Lone Tree probably didn't exist when you lived here. A friend had a condo off C-470 & Quincy, I was up here not long after they moved in around 1994, there was a little strip center and gas station. When I came back to visit in 2000 the whole area off his balcony had been built out.

My office is a block from Coors Field in LoDo.
    The area that is now E-470 and the hwy leading up to the airport was all farms when I lived there. I had been to a few shows at Fiddlers Green and there wasn't much on the East side of 25, just DTC and a few other offices I think, at least that was the impression I got when I got lost trying to find it the first time. Those highways really helped with the suburban sprawl, plus the influx of people from Ca moving there in the early to mid 90s. The nice thing about Denver is they also have a large urban population as well. They have a good balance.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    The area that is now E-470 and the hwy leading up to the airport was all farms when I lived there. I had been to a few shows at Fiddlers Green and there wasn't much on the East side of 25, just DTC and a few other offices I think, at least that was the impression I got when I got lost trying to find it the first time. Those highways really helped with the suburban sprawl, plus the influx of people from Ca moving there in the early to mid 90s. The nice thing about Denver is they also have a large urban population as well. They have a good balance.
    My friends condo was on the other side, the Morrison side of 470. Now he lives in Aurora, his contract ended at Rocky Flats (environmental cleanup) and he got tired of the commute from one side to the other. We live near E-470 & Quincy, we bought out here because of price and resale since we want to build a house somewhere, just haven't figured out where. We are just tired of working in LoDo and dealing with the whole downtown, if we were twenty years younger we would probably like it.

8. Default Re: Denver

brings back memories. I used to work in the Qwest skyscraper at 1801 California, 45th floor back in the mid-1990s.

I remember Stapleton airport closed (my folks were the ones who migrated the fiber for the FAA) and other changes like the light rail was just starting then with the initial line from Union Station going south toward Auraria campus (iirc) and then towards I-25. I fondly recall denver's exceptional urban bike trails along cherry creek - really like bike freeways, as I used to ride them nearly daily with my road bike as a stress reliever after day in the office.

Good times even back then
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

9. Default Re: Denver

yes, I also fondly remember the rise of LoDo and when Coors Field was built when Denver got MLB. Just amazing that was nearly 20 years ago now.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Denver

The Denver Union Station project is among the best urban renewal projects I have ever seen. I pass through it every morning. The city spent a great deal on it, but I'm sure the investment will pay them back ten fold over the next few years. It has already sparked a huge amount of investment. Of course, the economic situations are quite different, but OKC should study Denver's path. I see the cities on very similar trajectories; but at different time periods.

Nice photos. Love their downtown's appeal. The streetlights are so interesting. Wish OKC had such flavor.

12. Default Re: Denver

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    My friends condo was on the other side, the Morrison side of 470. Now he lives in Aurora, his contract ended at Rocky Flats (environmental cleanup) and he got tired of the commute from one side to the other. We live near E-470 & Quincy, we bought out here because of price and resale since we want to build a house somewhere, just haven't figured out where. We are just tired of working in LoDo and dealing with the whole downtown, if we were twenty years younger we would probably like it.
    I worked at Tony Rigatonis in Morrison and Golden. The Golden one is now gone, which isn't tragic or surprising. The owner who ran that one can be compared to Amy of Amy's Baking Company. I really like the West side of Denver Suburbia and if I ever move back will probably live in that side again. I really miss Fat Tire and Railyard Ale. Denver made me really spoiled when it comes to beer and hardly drink beer anymore because of Oklahoma's beer laws and the choices here. Also the West side is protected from the mountains and foothils and doesn't get as much snow or any tornadoes that the East side gets.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    I worked at Tony Rigatonis in Morrison and Golden. The Golden one is now gone, which isn't tragic or surprising. The owner who ran that one can be compared to Amy of Amy's Baking Company. I really like the West side of Denver Suburbia and if I ever move back will probably live in that side again. I really miss Fat Tire and Railyard Ale. Denver made me really spoiled when it comes to beer and hardly drink beer anymore because of Oklahoma's beer laws and the choices here. Also the West side is protected from the mountains and foothils and doesn't get as much snow or any tornadoes that the East side gets.
    We had about 9" of snow in the past week on the SE side of town, this side was a bit more affordable and was selling a bit faster. Friends lived over here which is why we chose the area. When my friend moved up here in 1991 from OKC/Tulsa he was in Westminster (104th & Wadsworth) because of his job at Rocky Flats, that area changed a lot over the years, his apartments were about the edge of development just south of the Jeffco airport in the early 90's. Changing jobs to Tower & I-70 gave him a reason to move east.

We have thought about eventually moving out to Breck or Frisco.

Thanks for sharing, Will.

I've said several times I think Denver is the best model for OKC: No navigable water, pretty flat (the city itself), prominent energy industry, etc.

And their downtown is fantastic. One big difference is that i know even back in the 80's when most other cities had very little downtown life, Denver was still very robust. So, they never had to claw out of a deep hole like OKC and a bunch of others.

Still, a lot of what they've done can be applied in OKC, unlike very unique settings like Portland, Seattle and some much older cities.

15. Default Re: Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

I've said several times I think Denver is the best model for OKC: No navigable water, pretty flat (the city itself), prominent energy industry, etc.

And their downtown is fantastic. One big difference is that i know even back in the 80's when most other cities had very little downtown life, Denver was still very robust. So, they never had to claw out of a deep hole like OKC and a bunch of others.

Still, a lot of what they've done can be applied in OKC, unlike very unique settings like Portland, Seattle and some much older cities.
    Some of my early childhood memories were of going downtown to do something, especially around the holidays with the tree festival they have to the lights of the capital to the 16th street mall. Even living in the suburbs. I never felt like there was a urban vs suburban feel between the two. I really need to go back and revisit my old haunts and see how it has grown. Heck Denver even has it's own Wax Trax. There was a time when I wanted to live in one of the lofts in LoDo, but I never could afford it as a cook making $8 an hour. I always felt like Denver was a nice city and if it wasn't for the cold and snow I would move back.

We prefer the occasional cold/snow over the persistent 100+ temps and 50% humidity in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Actually Denver had their own "urban renewal" issue back in the 70's where 27 contiguous blocks were destroyed, including many beautiful historic buildings. The city still has WAY too many under-utilized or vacant lots.

Check out this aerial from 1976 (pre-16th Street Mall) showing some of this "renewal":

From the 50s:

Anyway, I'm thinking of keeping this thread updated with Denver development as some others do for their locales.

^^ I would love to see that.

Another good resource on Denver development and neighborhoods is the Denver Cityscape website. I have no idea who maintains it, but the photos and descriptions are almost like tours. Denver Cityscape

Quote Originally Posted by TexanOkie View Post
    Another good resource on Denver development and neighborhoods is the Denver Cityscape website. I have no idea who maintains it, but the photos and descriptions are almost like tours. Denver Cityscape
    Also Denver Urban Architecture Blog

Yes please to the Denver updates. I had only driven through Denver before 2 years ago and have been there 3 times so far this year alone. I really like Denver! I went to the Union Station with a local this summer. It was her first time there since the renovation and I was so glad I was there to see her face. It so reminded me of the first time I saw the Skirvin after the renovation as there were tears in her eyes and she was welling with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    Yes please to the Denver updates. I had only driven through Denver before 2 years ago and have been there 3 times so far this year alone. I really like Denver! I went to the Union Station with a local this summer. It was her first time there since the renovation and I was so glad I was there to see her face. It so reminded me of the first time I saw the Skirvin after the renovation as there were tears in her eyes and she was welling with pride.
    Glad you enjoyed your visits. Union Station has made the city proud. It isn't often you are able to see an entire urban neighborhood built from scratch.

Here is an aerial showing the neighborhood as construction was in full swing on the canopy and wing buildings.

All lots are now completed, under construction, or have projects anticipated to begin in 2016.

Here are 4 proposed projects to begin construction in 2016:

19-story condo building with 345 units

19-story office tower

510 units in 2 buildings, 12-story and 24-story

11-story Hilton Garden Inn

Once these are completed the neighborhood should be fully built-out.

Edit: Sorry for the megasized images, I will correct going forward.

RTD announces Union Station-to-DIA rail line will open April 22, 2016 - The Denver Post

Rendering of the soon to be open DIA Westin hotel and transit center:

Crazy real estate market here. 42nd consecutive month that home prices have set a new record.

Case-Shiller: Denver ties S.F. for No. 1

Thread Information