Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Denver

Default Re: Denver

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I lived in Golden for several years back in the late 90s. It is a cool walkable town close to Denver. I don't know how far away you want to live from Denver proper or want to stay in the city, rent at the time was pretty decent but don't quote me on that since that was 20 odd years ago. Golden also has a college as well, although it is more of a technical specialty college, however still a lot of young people there, and Woody's pizza was a favorite hang out for really good true wood fired pizza and great local beers on tap. Plus Golden has one of the best breweries in Colorado - Golden City Brewery. Try a Barley Ale, but don't plan on going anywhere after.
    Golden has changed a lot but is definitely one of my favorite places in the metro. If only I could afford to live there. :-) Golden City is probably the 3rd or 4th best brewery in Golden these days but they still make a few good brews. The number of breweries in the Denver area is staggering.

Not a ton of large scale new developments have been announced lately, mainly some pretty cool infill projects. I will post some updates later, but I thought this picture was sweet. Still hard to believe virtually nothing existed in the Union Station neighborhood 5-7 years ago.

3. Default Re: Denver

I saw an article about Daddy Bruce pop up on my FB feed and was wondering if they still make his BBQ sauce for retail sale? I am flying through Denver in a month and might look for it in DIA if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    I saw an article about Daddy Bruce pop up on my FB feed and was wondering if they still make his BBQ sauce for retail sale? I am flying through Denver in a month and might look for it in DIA if they did.
    I'm pretty certain they no longer make it, they closed up shop in Boulder several years ago. There is a New Belgium bar/restaurant at DIA, if you need a beer fix.

5. Default Re: Denver

Quote Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
    There is a New Belgium bar/restaurant at DIA, if you need a beer fix.
    Already on my itinerary! Thanks!

Nice view of 3 buildings currently under construction, from left to right the 20-story LeMeridian/AC Hotel, 40-story 1144 15th Street, and 34-story The Confluence.

Probably about 30 -35 cranes up in downtown and Cherry Creek, pretty awesome to see the city changing so fast.

We live out between Aurora and Centennial in unincorporated Arapahoe County, way out from our jobs in LoDo and Capitol Hill. We bought our house (built in 1999) in January 2013 for $230,000 and similar ones in our neighborhood are around $300K now. Our mortgage, insurance and tax payment is less than 1 bedroom apartment rent in our area. We are looking off and on for acreage further out near The Pinery to Elizabeth to build a house.

8. Default Re: Denver

So I am planning on going to Denver in June or July for a week. Will probably be staying in The Sheraton Denver West (Used to work there) or Table Mountain Inn (Have always wanted to stay there) and am doing a preliminary "Things to do in Denver when your Dead" checklist. https://foursquare.com/jaredthevegan...when-your-dead If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

(Photo courtesy of Ryan Dravitz Photography).

32641615470_9016cf2c7f_o.jpg

Nice panorama of some of the construction going on downtown. I will try to do some updates this week of some new projects under construction and proposed.

Good grief, look at all those cranes. I worked in Dallas a few years back and that makes Uptown construction look pretty paltry.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Good grief, look at all those cranes. I worked in Dallas a few years back and that makes Uptown construction look pretty paltry.
    Interesting.

Dallas' core has no less than 22 tower cranes. More will arrive this month.

Dallas outside its core, including its suburbs, have 33 tower cranes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You are completely off base with that comment. Denver has nowhere near the amount of tower cranes that Dallas has in and around its core let alone the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    You are completely off base with that comment. Denver has nowhere near the amount of tower cranes that Dallas has in and around its core let alone the metro.
    Consider I'm referencing a period around 2010-2011. At this point there was virtually no construction in the central business district outside of the tower at Routh & Ross. The Driving Range @ East Village had just closed and the nets were just removed. This was a completely different time for Dallas, the beginning of the boom so to speak. Most all of the high rise construction near in at that time was in Victory Park & the area immediately surrounding The Crescent.

Like I said, it was a different time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sic'EmBears View Post
    Interesting.

Dallas' core has no less than 22 tower cranes. More will arrive this month.

Dallas outside its core, including its suburbs, have 33 tower cranes.
    There are currently 20 tower cranes up in Denver's downtown core and adjacent neighborhoods, including one that is over 600 ft tall (at 1144 15th St). There will be two more going up in the next couple months for two Union Station projects, the area with the highest current number of cranes at 5 in a six block radius. One will be coming down at 999 17th later this spring and I believe a couple others at apartment projects in the Highlands. There are another 6 in the Cherry Creek area a couple miles from downtown including one that is over 400 ft tall for twin 30 story apartment towers (Country Club Towers). The Denver Tech Center has 4 or 5 up right now for mostly office buildings.

Yes, Denver is doing just fine for a city its size. If/when some of the proposed projects in RiNo get going it will be quite a site to see all the cranes rising in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverPoke View Post
    Yes, Denver is doing just fine for a city its size. If/when some of the proposed projects in RiNo get going it will be quite a site to see all the cranes rising in that area.
    That will be quite the transformed area in the next 2-3 years. The biggest changes will be on Brighton Blvd where the street itself is being completely rebuilt with wide sidewalks (the street has never had continuous sidewalks), a landscaped median and protected bike lanes. Over a dozen new projects including apartments, office buildings, a new grocery store and retail are either under construction or planned.

And then there's the area around the new 38th & Blake Rail Station that has several large development proposals that will be kicking off as well as redevelopment of the old buildings along Walnut and Larimer. Some of the best new restaurants in the city are located in this area which still has an industrial/artsy feel to it even with all the new stuff.

Someday in the near future you'll be able to get off the train from the airport at 38th & Blake and access this area. You can do that now but there's mostly just empty lots around the station and the walkability is terrible, but they are working on that.

Almost every medium to large sized US city is experiencing a major or decent sized boom right now. Even Detroit and St. Louis which I hate both of those cities are doing pretty good.

March housing numbers for single family: Avg sale price $488k, median $420k.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/04...ce-april-2017/

21. Default Re: Denver

what is amazing to me is that with all tbe construction in downtown and Cherry Creek, virtually none of it is condo development. Colorado has a very restrictive law that makes it easy for condo homeowners to sue the builder. Conequentially, virtually no condos being built. The law has just been, or is about to be changed due to the lack of affordable housing, so if/ when it happens, I expect many more Denver projects.

It's totally insane. I'm trying to purchase a home next year, and will likely buy in Fort Morgan or Greeley. It will be about an hour or so drive to work, all highway.

Target finally opening a store downtown:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/16...r-summer-2018/

Also, an image (courtesy of DenverInfill) of some of the construction in Cherry Creek. If you haven't been to this area in the last few years the change is pretty remarkable.

24. Default Re: Denver

I have a southern view of down town Denver out my office window. I noticed a few days ago that the western part - the part west of LODO has become an entirely new downtown. The renovation of lower LODO warehouses and Union Station are in the middle with high rise apartments on the west. With the change in laws regarding condos, construction could be refuelled soon.

One question I have is they are running out of developable space. Were does downtown go from here? Aurora?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I have a southern view of down town Denver out my office window. I noticed a few days ago that the western part - the part west of LODO has become an entirely new downtown. The renovation of lower LODO warehouses and Union Station are in the middle with high rise apartments on the west. With the change in laws regarding condos, construction could be refuelled soon.

One question I have is they are running out of developable space. Were does downtown go from here? Aurora?
    Arapahoe Square and Golden Triangle still have a ton of vacant lots/under-developed land. RiverNorth is developing quickly but there is a lot of space for more density, including all of the empty lots used for Rockies parking. The CBD is far from built out as well.

Kroenke is planning to develop the lots around the Pepsi Center, probably mixed-used and that will be a huge development.

I wouldn't worry about running out of land to develop for many decades.

Thread Information