Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dallas hotels - Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo?

Default Dallas hotels - Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo?

I know, the forum is ...OKC, but since we have Dallas-ites here and lots that travel down there, thought I'd ask...

Going to see Lana Del Rey, spend the weekend down there (May 9th), and our finalist hotels are apparently Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo (I say apparently because Mrs. Traveller wants to be in charge of the hotel, while I was in charge of getting tickets to the concert). Anybody have any good/bad info about them or recommendations of one over the others? She's been on tripadvisor.com and asked someone else, just want to cover our bases, thanks for any replies....

Default Re: Dallas hotels - Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I know, the forum is ...OKC, but since we have Dallas-ites here and lots that travel down there, thought I'd ask...

Going to see Lana Del Rey, spend the weekend down there (May 9th), and our finalist hotels are apparently Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo (I say apparently because Mrs. Traveller wants to be in charge of the hotel, while I was in charge of getting tickets to the concert). Anybody have any good/bad info about them or recommendations of one over the others? She's been on tripadvisor.com and asked someone else, just want to cover our bases, thanks for any replies....
    I've stayed at the Indigo and Magnolia.

Indigo- God service, VERY small rooms. Clean, nice décor. Parking is valet or across the street in a deck. Not much immediately adjacent to walk to for dinner, but Deep Ellum is very close, if I recall.

Magnolia - Bigger rooms, more expensive. Valet was expensive, I think $25 for the night. Their elevators were under repair when we stayed and we had to use the stairs a lot. Probably fixed by now. Places nearby for dinner or breakfast.

If the prices are similar, I'd probably recommend the Magnolia. Call first and ask about the elevators, it really was a hassle at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post

Indigo- God service, VERY small rooms. Clean, nice décor. Parking is valet or across the street in a deck. Not much immediately adjacent to walk to for dinner, but Deep Ellum is very close, if I recall.

Magnolia - Bigger rooms, more expensive. Valet was expensive, I think $25 for the night. Their elevators were under repair when we stayed and we had to use the stairs a lot. Probably fixed by now. Places nearby for dinner or breakfast.

If the prices are similar, I'd probably recommend the Magnolia. Call first and ask about the elevators, it really was a hassle at the time.
    Thx, Magnolia does appear to be the front-runner, and their elevators are still broken, apparently, lol.... I'm hoping they'll be fixed by May! Hopefully valet isn't required, that's crazy...

I would definately do Magnolia over Indigo. Indigo rooms are very tight in my opinion and I enjoy Magnolia better.
    My favorite however is Belmont hotel in Dallas.. very different than most other experiences.. nice and chill and the bar and many rooms have unbelievable views... Belmontdallas.com

A couple other alternatives might be Hotel Zaza and Hotel Lawrence if your first choices are full.

Motel 6 will always keep the light on for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    love the slogan, like the folksy voice over, hate, hate, hate the pillows, so I gave them up a good while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    For me, the prostitutes, and the drug dealers. Had a few not-good experiences with them all over the country, I'll keep driving past that light, but thanks...

Zaza looks to be way too expensive, but Belmont and Lawrence sound worthwhile, we'll investigate them, thanks...

Hotel Zaza is either owned entirely or co owned by Charlie Givens, an OKC resident. It is a fun hotel and has a shabby chic atmosphere that caters to the upward milennials. The rooms are all different in a quirky way! It is a little on the expensive side.

11. Default Re: Dallas hotels - Magnolia, Adolphus, and Indigo?

In fairness, ZaZa was built when a lot of Millennials were in elementary school.
    Last edited by Urbanized; 01-03-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: LOL

Is the Mansion on Turtle Creek all that and a bag of chips? I lived in Dallas for 5 years in the late-80s through early-90s and the Mansion was at that time considered one of the best hotels in the region. Still true?

I emailed the Magnolia about their elevators, they said they're working on them one car at a time and supposed to be finished by the first of the 2nd quarter next year, which should be April, but it'll probably be more like May, so they've either got a lot of elevators or they work really slowly...

I emailed the Magnolia about their elevators, they said they're working on them one car at a time and supposed to be finished by the first of the 2nd quarter next year, which should be April, but it'll probably be more like May, so they've either got a lot of elevators or they work really slowly...
    As long as there are a couple that work, you should be fine.

My wife and my parents and I stayed at the Magnolia hotel (separate rooms, of course) several years ago when we attended an art exhibit in Fort Worth. The hotel was very nice and the service was great. The valet took 30 minutes to get our car and at one point, we had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator. I was not going to make my 65 year old parents walk down 15 flights of stairs with luggage in hand, so, we waited. That was about five years ago. It is an old building with old features and that is something you have to deal with. Think of the quirks FNC would be if turned in to a hotel.\

Whenever the wife and I travel to Dallas, we almost always stay at the Hyatt House in Richardson, TX. It is a three star hotel and not too flashy, but easy on and off the highway. free breakfast, parking internet, no cancellation fee and it's like having your own apartment since it has a kitchenette and descent size space. I bet you could get it on that weekend for less than $100/night.

Take a look at The Joule, awesome place http://www.thejouledallas.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ksearls View Post
    Take a look at The Joule, awesome place Downtown Dallas Hotels - The Joule Dallas Hotel
    I think she checked that one out, saw the price and went "nope" since we're looking for $100-150/night. Thanks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    My wife and my parents and I stayed at the Magnolia hotel (separate rooms, of course) several years ago when we attended an art exhibit in Fort Worth. The hotel was very nice and the service was great. The valet took 30 minutes to get our car and at one point, we had to wait 20 minutes for an elevator. I was not going to make my 65 year old parents walk down 15 flights of stairs with luggage in hand, so, we waited. That was about five years ago. It is an old building with old features and that is something you have to deal with. Think of the quirks FNC would be if turned in to a hotel.\

Whenever the wife and I travel to Dallas, we almost always stay at the Hyatt House in Richardson, TX. It is a three star hotel and not too flashy, but easy on and off the highway. free breakfast, parking internet, no cancellation fee and it's like having your own apartment since it has a kitchenette and descent size space. I bet you could get it on that weekend for less than $100/night.
    Wow, that's incredibly slow, hopefully they're fixing that with the newest repairs/renovations to the elevators.

Valet is incredibly slow too, if I had planned to do something without much slack time and didn't know about those delays, it could've screwed up things massively with almost an hour delay! I'm seriously hoping valet parking isn't required...

Thanks for the tip about the Hyatt House, but I think we're trying to stay downtown, will keep it in mind for future visits, though.

I stayed at the Adolphus the Saturday after Christmas. The rooms were nice, kind of small, but the bathrooms were quite large. I think it came out to be about $120 for the night. Tiny elevators, but nothing out of the norm for an older hotel. I would stay there again.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I stayed at the Adolphus the Saturday after Christmas. The rooms were nice, kind of small, but the bathrooms were quite large. I think it came out to be about $120 for the night. Tiny elevators, but nothing out of the norm for an older hotel. I would stay there again.
    Glad you had a decent experience - wife read about blood stains on the sheets and beer cans found on a table on check-in, so she steered away from them (and since she's paying, it's her choice ). Think we're gonna do Magnolia and I found a parking garage a few blocks away that lets you overnight park for $6/day, way less than the $24/day the Magnolia charges for their valet.

Glad you had a decent experience - wife read about blood stains on the sheets and beer cans found on a table on check-in, so she steered away from them (and since she's paying, it's her choice ). Think we're gonna do Magnolia and I found a parking garage a few blocks away that lets you overnight park for $6/day, way less than the $24/day the Magnolia charges for their valet.
    Good choice. The breakfast there was very good as well. Not sure when you were planning on going but we had a tough time finding anything open for dinner Sunday night. The consierge pointed us to a mexican restaurant that was passable.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Good choice. The breakfast there was very good as well. Not sure when you were planning on going but we had a tough time finding anything open for dinner Sunday night. The consierge pointed us to a mexican restaurant that was passable.
    We're going to arrive Friday afternoon and drive back Sunday afternoon, so there should be things open downtown-ish Fri and Sat, I'd hope.

HangryHippo Guest

I hope Travellers picked the Indigo just for the God service. That sounds heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    I hope Travellers picked the Indigo just for the God service. That sounds heavenly.
    Ha! Heaven isn't exactly spacious in that case...

HangryHippo Guest

Ha! Heaven isn't exactly spacious in that case...
    I could do without all the space if it's only 100-150 a night.

Thread Information