Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pei Wei

Default Pei Wei

I saw this in yesterday's DOK. "Pei Wei Asian Diner leased 3,100 square feet of space in Midwest City Town Center, 7305 SE 29 in Midwest City, from Sooner Investment Group Inc. Inman and Graham handled the lease.". I have never been to a Pei Wei but I looked at their menu on line and it didn't have a lot that interested me, however I'm pretty picky. It's a nice restaurant for Midwest City. Now, their parent, P. F. Chang's is a different story. I have eaten there quite a few times and would like to see one open in the Mid/Del area.
    C. T.

Default Re: Pei Wei

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I saw this in yesterday's DOK. "Pei Wei Asian Diner leased 3,100 square feet of space in Midwest City Town Center, 7305 SE 29 in Midwest City, from Sooner Investment Group Inc. Inman and Graham handled the lease.". I have never been to a Pei Wei but I looked at their menu on line and it didn't have a lot that interested me, however I'm pretty picky. It's a nice restaurant for Midwest City. Now, their parent, P. F. Chang's is a different story. I have eaten there quite a few times and would like to see one open in the Mid/Del area.
    C. T.
    I recently went back to the one at Belle Isle, it seems like they have streamlined their menu. I am not sure if they actually cut any items or just they way they are presenting options is different, but it looked like they cut like half the menu or more verses the last time I had been in.

3. Default Re: Pei Wei

I noticed that a little while back. It's another option besides just Panda Express...bleh. Everything else like that in the area is "sit-down", and sometimes you just don't want to do that.

I don't remember how much space it was going to take, but I believe this is finally the last lot to be taken in Town Center.

C. T.
    Trust me CT, you'd like Pei Wei.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Trust me CT, you'd like Pei Wei.
    Bellaboo,
    Well, I just looked at their menu again and there is nothing I would eat as presented. I love shrimp fried rice but there are three items that I would have to ask them to hold, carrots, bell peppers, and broccoli. Like I said, I'm a very picky eater.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I noticed that a little while back. It's another option besides just Panda Express...bleh. Everything else like that in the area is "sit-down", and sometimes you just don't want to do that.

I don't remember how much space it was going to take, but I believe this is finally the last lot to be taken in Town Center.
    Bombermwc,
    I have never been to a Panda Express, but their store front has always impressed me. It looks clean and nice. What is the problem with the food? I had planned to try the one at SE 29th and Air Depot when I move to MWC. I know there are a lot of local choices that I would probably prefer, and I fully intend to give some of them a shot, and I'm looking forward to the Korean restaurants in the area that have been recommended by one of the OKCTalk posters.
    C. T.

7. Default Re: Pei Wei

Panda Express is like the McDonalds or Taco Bell of Chinese Take out. They are the bottom of the barrel for me. Pei Wei on the other hand is on the top. There is a chain in Fl called Mama Fus which is very similar to Pei Wei, especially the way they prepare their tofu. Even if you don't like tofu or if you have never tried tofu, try it first at Pei Wei. Sooo good!

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    Panda Express is like the McDonalds or Taco Bell of Chinese Take out. They are the bottom of the barrel for me. Pei Wei on the other hand is on the top. There is a chain in Fl called Mama Fus which is very similar to Pei Wei, especially the way they prepare their tofu. Even if you don't like tofu or if you have never tried tofu, try it first at Pei Wei. Sooo good!
    Eatokc.com
    If you think Pei Wei is on the top, you must not have been to their parent company, P. F. Chang's. And I am not being critical of Pei Wei, but if you compare menus, P. F. Chang's is far superior. As for quality, I would think that they would be comparable since they are the same company. When Pei Wei first started, they were advertised as "P. F. Chang's light". I'm sure they are good for some people but I don't see anything on their menu that I would eat.
    C. T.

Look we all have our likes. I've eaten there a bunch when I was still working. I've had better and worst. Its a matter of taste. My old fav in Edmond closed down a number of years ago. They had two menus. The American Chinese style and the real stuff. The real meanus was in Chinese. If you wanted the real stuff, you asked for a translation. Most of the customers were Asian.

It was one of those places that you had to ask for American silverware.

11. Default Re: Pei Wei

Eatokc.com
    If you think Pei Wei is on the top, you must not have been to their parent company, P. F. Chang's. And I am not being critical of Pei Wei, but if you compare menus, P. F. Chang's is far superior. As for quality, I would think that they would be comparable since they are the same company. When Pei Wei first started, they were advertised as "P. F. Chang's light". I'm sure they are good for some people but I don't see anything on their menu that I would eat.
    C. T.
    I am comparing Chinese takeout (or Chinese fast food). I see P.F. Changs as a sit down type of place like Fungs or Chows. I do like P.F. Changs as well but it is quite a drive for me living South of Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by eatokc.com View Post
    Panda Express is like the McDonalds or Taco Bell of Chinese Take out. They are the bottom of the barrel for me. ...

Can not argue with the above.

I am not the fan of Pei Wei that some folk are, though our 21 year old son and and my lovely both really like PW, a lot. If my only options were Pei Wei and Panda Express, I'd either go Pei Wei or expand my food search radius,

I can get what I would get at P.F. Chang's for less at Pei Wei, we go to Pei Wei a whole lot more often. With their new menu you have to kind of build your meal instead of ordering a complete meal off a menu.

14. Default Re: Pei Wei

I would like to add that the biggest reason why I like Pei Wei is the tofu. No other Chinese restaurant (Except for Mama Fu's) cooks their tofu the way Pei Wei does. It is marinated and then baked and then fried. I would rather eat at a Thai restaurant over Chinese any day, but sometimes I have the urge for Kung Pao or Orange tofu or want Pei Wei's tofu so I go to satisfy my cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Look we all have our likes. I've eaten there a bunch when I was still working. I've had better and worst. Its a matter of taste. My old fav in Edmond closed down a number of years ago. They had two menus. The American Chinese style and the real stuff. The real meanus was in Chinese. If you wanted the real stuff, you asked for a translation. Most of the customers were Asian.
    Oklip,
    You need to try Asian Bistro on Memorial and Western. They have two menus, but their asian one is written in Chinese and English. When I first went there, it was filled with Asians, a pretty good sign.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I can get what I would get at P.F. Chang's for less at Pei Wei, we go to Pei Wei a whole lot more often. With their new menu you have to kind of build your meal instead of ordering a complete meal off a menu.
    Bluedogok,
    I'm glad you find what you want at PW, but the menu at P. F. Chang's offers so many more options. Like I said, I think PW is good quality but there is not a single item that I would eat unless I could eliminate about two or three items (carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, mushrooms) from the entree. I do agree that PFC's is pricier, but I have don't have to change the entree near as much as I would have to at PW.
    C. T.

Ate lunch here today... My first trip to a Pei Wei.

I really liked my food. I had the Pei Wei Spicy Chicken with white rice. I really like how they prepare each meal individually and freshly. Everything came out hot and tasty.

But what I really loved was the spicy garlic chili sauce they have in the little class containers with spoons. That is some good stuff, especially because even spicy dishes are never hot enough for my tastes.

That place was absolutely slammed! I got there at 11:15 and there was a long line and by the time I left a little before noon there were tons of people waiting.

18. Default Re: Pei Wei

I've not eaten at one in years, but always remember it being quite edible.

I'm sure I'll eat there soon. I'm in MWC all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But what I really loved was the spicy garlic chili sauce they have in the little class containers with spoons. That is some good stuff, especially because even spicy dishes are never hot enough for my tastes.
    Pete,
    I love spicy and I go to a place that will spice it as much as you want, but you might have convinced me to give Pei Wei a try.
    C. T.

The Pad Thai with shrimp is surprisingly good, and I've never met a chicken lettuce wrap that I don't like.

I'm sure the food isn't the healthiest, but I do feel less guilty after Pei Wei than I do with normal Chinese takeaway.

Anything cooked with oil is going to be fatty, but at least with the dish I had, the oil and breading was relatively light and the entire thing wasn't slathered in thick sweet sauce.

And not sitting under heat lamps like at Panda Express.

Does anyone know if they use MSG in their food? I recently tried the one in Moore it was my first time to try Pei Wei , I thought it was fantastic for a similar fast food concept and much better than Panda IMO.

Pei Wei advertises they do not use MSG.

24. Default Re: Pei Wei

Isn't Panda owned by the same parent company? Panda = Crap, but fast, Pei Wei = middle ground, but pricier, PFChang = Higher End, you pay for it.

Pei Wei and PF Chang's are owned by the same group but Panda Express is not affiliated.

Thread Information