Widgets Magazine

Thread: SH-152 aka AIrport Rd

1. Default SH-152 aka AIrport Rd

Well in the continuing saga of "what can we do to ensure you have no path to work without construction", we now have Airport Road starting off a project to do what appears to be a widening to 3 lanes. I am guessing this has to do with more traffic moving with the turnpike, but it really doesn't feel like there really IS more traffic. I'm also a dumbfounded that this small stretch of "byway" is getting this attention, while we're having to wait years longer for I-35 to widen to 3 lanes in NE OKC. Seems like a bad funding choice to me, or at least someone supporting their own back yard first.

What they are NOT doing, is messing with any bridges though. So it'll be interesting to see how they manage to squeeze in a 3rd lane on some of these bridges. Not to mention that the biggest traffic issue on Airport Rd is not the 4 miles of road, it's the junction with I-44 going East. There are plenty of ways to correct for this, but they require some pretty heavy work. But i'm betting the many miles of this work being done would be enough to pay for the flyover needed to do that work (preventing the airport rd/59th traffic crossing places with the traffic trying to keep going down 44 to SW OKC).

One day it will all be done......by then, my office will have moved and we'll see what wonderful new he!! ODOT can find to create.

2. Default Re: SH-152 aka AIrport Rd

^^^

Yep and the work they did on that bridge is horrible.

If you live West of I-44 and work East of it..... There is no major highway you can use right now to get home without construction and the stoplights on Reno just can't keep up with the flow.... Multiple lights along the stretch from Portland to Council require multiple light cycles before you will get through the intersection.

Default Re: SH-152 aka AIrport Rd

Whoever at ODOT, or whatever org. makes these decisions, made the call to do work on I-40 and H-152 at the same time should be fired. For those of us living in the west Metro and work downtown or near there this has been a nightmare.

4. Default Re: SH-152 aka AIrport Rd

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy15 View Post
    Whoever at ODOT, or whatever org. makes these decisions, made the call to do work on I-40 and H-152 at the same time should be fired. For those of us living in the west Metro and work downtown or near there this has been a nightmare.
    Add to that Council being 1 lane south of I40 plus the railroad crossing areas near SW44th being closed this week at Meridian and MacArthur gives me virtually no way to avoid construction on my commute.

Count me as another west-sider complaining about these projects mentioned.

Be happy they are doing it now and not AFTER it needs to be done like where I live. In Colorado they wait for a road to get to 100% capacity, run a study, take 3 years to identify funding, then spend 4 years working on it.

As bad as ODOT can be, at least they are staying ahead of traffic nightmares headed to the rapidly growing west side.

Thread Information