Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1391

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: OKC Boulevard

But some of us are voting no to this MAPS proposal because it didn't include an aquarium, even though it would help address the city's homeless problem. I'm confused.

2. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

vote no and force a line item vote. I bet all of the homeless, liberal other projects will pass on their own and be paid within a year or two.

Better yet, vote no and hold the city accountable for being transparent with the project selection process - something they were NOT since these projects were already picked in April behind closed doors. Aquarium and Airport beautification hub were not picked but I bet they would be the most popular projects (if not in city history) if they were line item individually voted for. ....

voting NO for MAPS IV does not mean a person doesn't support civic projects like homeless/etc or like MAPS; instead - it could mean the person doesn't like certain projects that always get thrown in (fairgrounds), or a person doesn't like the $100M in endowments that will be run by ???, or a person thinks transit should get more.

Please do not label people voting no to this MAPS IV as not supporting homeless, domestic and youth victims, animals, sidewalks/bike lanes/lighting, alternative incarceration, etc. It can be mutually exclusive. As I said, these are well liked and will likely pass on their own as would the aquarium and airport hub.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Surely you're joking. 3/4 of these projects would never have enough votes to pass individually. Remember, these are ADDITIONAL taxes that we're paying.
    Millennials won't pass the senior centers. People without vision would never pass the innovation link. Hardcore car users will nix anything transit. The state fair arena would get laughed at. How much for the beautification proposal?! I'm not even gonna get started with the heritage and homeless proposals (RIP Clara Luper).
    But yea the aquarium and soccer stadium would pass. Problem is, you would still have to drive down pothole filled roads with bad lighting while trying to dodge the homeless, asking for money on your way to the stadium.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    Surely you're joking. 3/4 of these projects would never have enough votes to pass individually. Remember, these are ADDITIONAL taxes that we're paying.
    Millennials won't pass the senior centers. People without vision would never pass the innovation link. Hardcore car users will nix anything transit. The state fair arena would get laughed at. How much for the beautification proposal?! I'm not even gonna get started with the heritage and homeless proposals (RIP Clara Luper).
    But yea the aquarium and soccer stadium would pass. Problem is, you would still have to drive down pothole filled roads with bad lighting while trying to dodge the homeless, asking for money on your way to the stadium.
    Do you know where we can find some polling or other objective data that supports or refutes your claims as to what is popular or not? How do we know what is popular or not?

What's popular is irrelevant. What's relevant is when the proposals are individualized, the less glamorous ones will fall by the wayside even though the might be the most needed.
    But if you need data just dig through both threads. You'll see plenty posts saying how they'll vote no if it doesn't include an aquarium. I have yet to see anyone say the same about one of the less glamorous items. Don't forget, the last MAPS vote didn't pass with flying colors.

What's popular is irrelevant. What's relevant is when the proposals are individualized, the less glamorous ones will fall by the wayside even though the might be the most needed.
    But if you need data just dig through both threads. You'll see plenty posts saying how they'll vote no if it doesn't include an aquarium. I have yet to see anyone say the same about one of the less glamorous items. Don't forget, the last MAPS vote didn't pass with flying colors.
    the process of this maps is enough alone for a no vote

combine that with what is proposed and it becomes an easy no vote

Blog Entries

You seem to think that those that post on here actually are factually representative of how all the voters think. Surely you understand how inaccurate that assumption is.

8. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Fun to watch everyone heading east on the Boulevard ignore the 'no left turn' signs to turn left on Reno. I see at least one a day on my way in to the office. The design they implemented at this intersection clearly ignores how traffic wants/needs to flow through the area. In fact, I don't think you can turn left from any direction at that intersection.

I've also twice seen cars get trapped in the center median on Reno when the lights turned red. I can easily see this being a hotbed for accidents as traffic picks up there.

^

Why on earth did they decide not to have a left turn lane onto Reno?

Makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Why on earth did they decide not to have a left turn lane onto Reno?

Makes zero sense.
    Is this permanent? If so, that is absolutely mind blowing as I figured the Reno intersection was where 90%+ of Boulevard east bound traffic would turn.

Yes, it's permanent.

Signal is already up.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    yes, it's permanent.

Signal is already up.
    wooooooow!

The "No Left Turn" at east bound Boulevard is not logical! Why would they want to avoid that? If I go a fraction further I can turn left onto Shartel crossing Reno which complicates getting to Shartel.

14. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

The person in front of me this morning decided to make the left turn oblivious to the fact there was oncoming traffic that also had a green light. And the two people behind me made a left as though they had the right of way and forced another oncoming car stop to avoid an accident. Thankfully, just lots of honking, but sooner rather than later, the accidents will start.

We used the boulevard tonight after leaving Harkins. It was very convenient.

That being said, I'm stupefied why there are literally none of the streetlights on, including the area that has been open to vehicles
    for several years now. Not one light. Pitch black exiting our downtown.

I don't understand what is wrong with this city and this perplexing lack of concern for so many streetlights being out. Third world cities have better detail orientation.

What the AF is going on?

^ Already copper thief victims? It’s funny I never notice scores of street lights out in Denver.

^^^ I don't think streetlights get turned on until a project by ODOT is officially finished, and this one isn't yet, despite the "opening".

What a world we live in...

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    We used the boulevard tonight after leaving Harkins. It was very convenient.

That being said, I'm stupefied why there are literally none of the streetlights on, including the area that has been open to vehicles
    for several years now. Not one light. Pitch black exiting our downtown.
    That eastbound exit from I-40 to the boulevard has been completely dark for years and is incredibly dangerous.

Traffic comes flying off the interstate on a wide exit but then curves sharply to the left; you can see tons of car scrape marks on the retaining walls.

Why do they even bother installing lights if there is no effort to keep them on? Getting every light on the Blvd should be a priority and should not be considered done until this happens.

21. Default Re: OKC Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    ^^^ I don't think streetlights get turned on until a project by ODOT is officially finished, and this one isn't yet, despite the "opening".
    never should have been opened then!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    never should have been opened then!
    Agreed, and the rationale offered for opening before finishing is ridiculous (both Gov and Mayor are sooooooooooooooo busy that was the only hour they both had free out of their schedule for the next forever amount of days).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That eastbound exit from I-40 to the boulevard has been completely dark for years and is incredibly dangerous.

Traffic comes flying off the interstate on a wide exit but then curves sharply to the left; you can see tons of car scrape marks on the retaining walls.
    What is it with the mentality of this city? This is not only unsafe, it is also embarrassing. For a place that seems so hung up on creating impressions of being big league, something as simple as streetlights out -- on highways, high profile intersections, and throughout recently renovated neighborhoods -- is swept under the rug. Phony excuses. Finger pointing. Is it OG&E? The city? ODOT? This is just unacceptable mediocrity.

There are sections of 235, going between the capitol and downtown, that are out for over a year or more. It's just ridiculous.

I completely agree!!!

Thread Information