Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 56 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default OKC Boulevard

So I thought it would be a good idea to keep the updates and pictures of the construction to one thread and discussion of transforming the BLVD. to more pedestrian friendliness to Friends for Better BLVD. If not just delete this thread and disregard. I took some pictures today of some progress being made. I really like what I see so far. A lot of cities have a road like this getting people in and out of downtown quicker.

These next two are taken from Lincoln by the Boathouse district

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

So ugly. It looks worse in person.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I love it.

So much wasted real estate near Bass Pro since the boulevard is elevated.

5. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Why? Would you have Las Vegas Boulevard elevated as well?

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Why? Would you have Las Vegas Boulevard elevated as well?
    No. The Vegas BLVD. is also 8 lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    So much wasted real estate near Bass Pro since the boulevard is elevated.
    Isn't the elevation near Bass Pro due to passing over the highway (and to not split the parking, I assume)?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Isn't the elevation near Bass Pro due to passing over the highway (and to not split the parking, I assume)?
    Also, because it crosses the canal.

The east end ramps seem more "cheap" than the west end. I don't get why they didn't use the column design that is directly adjacent to I-40. It looks like they just rebuilt the old I-40 with rectangle columns instead of round columns.

9. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

I think that those columns are getting some sort of cladding, be it block or stone...

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Also, because it crosses the canal.
    And the railroad.

You are a strange beholder.

The east end of the boulevard is going to be just about good as can be reasonably expected. Simply getting it on the ground so traffic can turn into Bricktown on Oklahoma was a major win from the original design. Sure it would be nice to have had the opportunity to design the interchange with I-40 from scratch, but that was not possible by the time the FBB campaign gained enough momentum to be effective.

13. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

looks like the old I40
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    looks like the old I40
    Hopefully a little smoother though.

But this is going to be so nice and the view of downtown when all the mid rises get build will look great IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Hopefully a little smoother though.

But this is going to be so nice and the view of downtown when all the mid rises get build will look great IMO.
    Well, for the 43 seconds or so it will take to zip on by anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post

Dont even get me started on all pf the rendering images that were created back in 2012.

It looks like its gonna be another boring Reno Ave.

I am in the minority on OKCTalk but I think this new boulevard is and should be for cars, not bikes or pedestrians. This road will be the gateway in and out of downtown for visitors and suburban residents. I really think they should have left it a six lane boulevard. Landscaping is more important than walkability.

OKC currently has a couple of other downtown thoroughfares, Reno and Sheridan, that are perfect candidates for that walkable, pedestrian oriented street that so many wanted the boulevard to be.

the portion through Bricktown is bidding on this month's ODOT letting, FYI

19. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am in the minority on OKCTalk but I think this new boulevard is and should be for cars, not bikes or pedestrians. This road will be the gateway in and out of downtown for visitors and suburban residents. I really think they should have left it a six lane boulevard. Landscaping is more important than walkability.

OKC currently has a couple of other downtown thoroughfares, Reno and Sheridan, that are perfect candidates for that walkable, pedestrian oriented street that so many wanted the boulevard to be.
    The problem with that scenario is not even so much the lack of walkability on the boulevard itself; it's the creation of a barrier between adjoining areas. It will permanently harm the accessibility and walkability to the south, the viability of places like Farmers Market and C2S, and by extension harm the ultimate growth potential of downtown as a whole.

Which Alternative did they decide on?

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Which Alternative did they decide on?
    Alternative C.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    Well, for the 43 seconds or so it will take to zip on by anyway.
    I don't know about that. ODOT's wisdom is to put all traffic on as few exits as possible. I bet during the right times of day, you might get a 5 minute look.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I don't know about that. ODOT's wisdom is to put all traffic on as few exits as possible. I bet during the right times of day, you might get a 5 minute look.
    Considering most people will use it to go into downtown, I'm sure they will be 'looking' at downtown for hours.

Considering most people will use it to go into downtown, I'm sure they will be 'looking' at downtown for hours.
    What's wrong with how suburbanites get into downtown now? We have plenty of multilane interstates that serve their purpose just fine. This whole thing is disgusting and a massive waste of money, and will contribute to lower bricktown never really reaching it's potential as being part of a thriving, truly urban district. Although that ship probably sailed awhile ago anyway. Part of the appeal of downtowns is that downtown life isn't centered around massive elevated freeways. Just curious - how will this elevated road contribute to street life, walkability, and vitality of downtown? Oh wait, it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    What's wrong with how suburbanites get into downtown now? We have plenty of multilane interstates that serve their purpose just fine. This whole thing is disgusting and a massive waste of money, and will contribute to lower bricktown never really reaching it's potential as being part of a thriving, truly urban district. Although that ship probably sailed awhile ago anyway. Part of the appeal of downtowns is that downtown life isn't centered around massive elevated freeways. Just curious - how will this elevated road contribute to street life, walkability, and vitality of downtown? Oh wait, it won't.
    congragulations, you are the 1 millionth person to make that point and the 2 millionth person to make a completely irrelevant statement responding to my post.

Thread Information