Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    You don't build it at all, that's how you do it. The "Boulevard" is redundant. And it's all being built with your money.
    So if I'm coming to Bricktown from the east or south, where do I exit? Continue on North 235 and take the Sheridan exit? That one lane cloverleaf will back up pretty rapidly. If not there, then the next exit is 10th. A long way to double back down 2 lane Walnut. Continue on I40? Then you have to double back on Robinson.

And leaving? Even worse.

Sure, it could have been better, but to say nothing should have been built there is

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    So if I'm coming to Bricktown from the east or south, where do I exit? Continue on North 235 and take the Sheridan exit? That one lane cloverleaf will back up pretty rapidly. If not there, then the next exit is 10th. A long way to double back down 2 lane Walnut. Continue on I40? Then you have to double back on Robinson.

And leaving? Even worse.

Sure, it could have been better, but to say nothing should have been built there is
    Coming exit on Robinson. Leaving exit on Shields. You're 1 block max from Bricktown either direction.

3. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by tfvc.org View Post
    The SuperSonics Blvd
    We Stole Your Elephants Too Blvd? lol

If you're looking for a good comparison for how the "Boulevard" could have been, check out Lancaster Ave in Fort Worth, west of the highway "mixmaster". I believe an elevated portion of I-30 once ran through here recently and that was torn down and replaced with an at grade road with nice landscaping and pedestrian facilities...oh and it connects into the grid system at every intersection.

http://library.ite.org/pub/e1cfead8-...8-ca47b8cb643d

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    We Stole Your Elephants Too Blvd? lol
    We also got your Boeing Engineers Blvd...

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post

And leaving? Even worse.

I take that one lane cloverleaf nearly everyday, and it is absolutely never, ever backed up. Not ever.

Sure, exit on 10th, you're still barely a mile away from Bricktown.

Sure, you can go west on I-40, there are multiple exits which then take you into bricktown within minutes.

Maybe it's just me but none of the points you mentioned sound like justification to waste millions of dollars building an ugly slab of concrete that's totally unnecessary in the first place.

The Blvd will be the great entry into downtown OKC. Once this is all done we will wonder how we ever lived without it.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    The Blvd will be the great entry into downtown OKC. Once this is all done we will wonder how we ever lived without it.
    You ARE being facetious....right?

9. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

hehe
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    We also got your Boeing Engineers Blvd...
    And Soon Well Take More than That! Blvd
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

The failure is the primise that Bricktown should be configured for easy automobile access. How does one get from the south or east? I don't care. If it's inconvenient ask the city to make commuter rail a higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The failure is the premise that Bricktown should be configured for easy automobile access.
    I can see how that was the case at the very dawn of Bricktown, since hardly anyone lived in the core of OKC - and few if any had any interest in promoting walkability and urbanism. However with the residential population of downtown drastically higher than it's ever been (and growing at a rapid clip), the BLVD is nothing but a waste and an eyesore. It's time we make Bricktown what it was meant to be, rather than what it needed to be a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't undersand why city leaders think that everything needs to be named Oklahoma City this or Oklahoma that. We get it. It's Oklahoma City. Don't beat us over the head with it.
    There will be someone that wants to build the Oklahoma City Tower so that they can get their mail at:

Oklahoma City Tower
    Oklahoma City BLVD
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma County
    Oklahoma

It will forever be known as the OKOKOKOKOK Building.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    There will be someone that wants to build the Oklahoma City Tower so that they can get their mail at:

Oklahoma City Tower
    Oklahoma City BLVD
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma County
    Oklahoma

15. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

The failure is the primise that Bricktown should be configured for easy automobile access.
    Sure, let's not make it easy for people who live outside of 5 miles, suburbanites or tourists to get to Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Sure, let's not make it easy for people who live outside of 5 miles, suburbanites or tourists to get to Bricktown.
    Businesses in downtown and Bricktown are still heavily reliant on suburbanites. Many of the bars/restaurants all of us love in downtown OKC could not stay in business if they only had the 5,000 or so people actually living downtown as a customer base. An easy way in and out of downtown from the suburbs is still very necessary and will ensure the continued success of Bricktown and other districts going forward.

17. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Businesses in downtown and Bricktown are still heavily reliant on suburbanites. Many of the bars/restaurants all of us love in downtown OKC could not stay in business if they only had the 5,000 or so people actually living downtown as a customer base. An easy way in and out of downtown from the suburbs is still very necessary and will ensure the continued success of Bricktown and other districts going forward.
    Wait so you are saying that they aren't getting there now because there is not an easy way in? Why are we trying to fix something that isn't broken? We don't need to make anything easier. It's already easy enough. Thousands of people can get downtown already with absolutely no problem. Someone please tell me what the hell is wrong with the current setup?

Does anyone currently have actual problems getting into downtown? [Not parking]

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post

Oklahoma City Tower
    Oklahoma City BLVD
    Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma County
    Oklahoma

If I ever move into my apartment, I will live on Oklahoma Ave. And I also work in Oklahoma Tower, so I'm not too far away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    If history repeats itself; the name game can generate revenue for the city. The Ford Center was called Oklahoma City Arena before the rights were sold to Chesapeake.
    That is because the city gave the naming rights of the facility to the Thunder (which is stupid).

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    It's garbage plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Granted it's hard to work around the canal without going over it somewhere, but it seems like there's an awful lot of elevated road still.
    True, but the canal is crossed by several streets that did not require 40' stilts

The failure is the primise that Bricktown should be configured for easy automobile access. How does one get from the south or east? I don't care. If it's inconvenient ask the city to make commuter rail a higher priority.
    The ironic thing is - if you walk from AA to DD to BT, BT is BY FAR (IMO) the least dense, least urban, and least walkable area in the core. With places like Broadway 10, Blue Garten, Sidecar, and many others, we have much more continuity between MT to AA, and AA is so close to DD. With so many great options elsewhere, we never even consider going to BT anyway, so if ODOT really wants to build their folly somewhere, may as well be close to BT - and not where people actually want density and walkability.

24. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Funny then that Jeff Speck called Bricktown the MOST walkable of our districts.

Was that like 2007?

Thread Information