Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 56 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    What like Mick Cornett Blvd?
    That is another thing that ticks me off. I am sick and tired of all these streets and buildings named after politicians. This isn't some 3rd world despotic country. You know, it is a sad commentary on how messed up this country is that we name existing streets after people. Have we totally forgotten how to build monuments?

I call it ODOT's Folly. And it gets more and more ridiculous looking everytime I'm in East Bricktown. What a mess they've created there.

That Bricktown segment is total failure multiplied by infinity and is going to have to be torn down eventually. I have the hardest time believing that got approved.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma City is too big to micromanage. ...time to more on.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Or maybe it's just too small for enough people to give a crap? Both of the major markets I've lived in micromanage to death. Granted, when the heavy weights are involved, they can railroad just as good as our big hats.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I don't undersand why city leaders think that everything needs to be named Oklahoma City this or Oklahoma that. We get it. It's Oklahoma City. Don't beat us over the head with it.
    To be fair, every time I drive down 39th Expressway and cross Tulsa Ave., I have that brief moment of panic of "wha? where?". At least I don't think I'm in far north Canada when I cross the river anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

We are only trying to manage about 4 sq. miles. As far as I am concerned the rest of the City can do whatever they want because I have already written it off as a total loss.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    We are only trying to manage about 4 sq. miles. As far as I am concerned the rest of the City can do whatever they want because I have already written it off as a total loss.
    That's too bad. There are many great parts of the city in which to live. But, I understand the narrow perspective like this...many in this city share it and that unfortunately stymies much progress.

I don't think it's a total loss at all, but, yes, we do have to manage at least a small part of it in a way to diversify the living options in Oklahoma City. It's just that it makes sense to do that downtown where the infrastructure is already more conducive to it, if we use it right, and it is centrally located to give the best access to the most people to any large public assets paid for by all the people in the city. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the abundance of suburban living in Oklahoma City. But what sucks is that, for a very long time, if you wanted to live in Oklahoma City you lived in a suburban environment by choice. There was no other option. The objective should be to provide an urban environment that is available for all in the city to use if they choose. But to do that it does take focused management and planning. We get that only erratically at this point.

It is interesting to me that there is a seeming willingness on the part of City Staff to consider taking the keys for the new boulevard and rip out what isn't liked and install a Project 180 style design. Quite frankly, if that's what it takes, I am glad we fought for the major attributes that are being retained such as key four-way intersections at critical junctures and eliminating the 3,500' of concrete bridge.

Bob and I met this morning about it. There is a great deal of good that can occur on this alignment in the future. It is not the "grid" that many people wanted, but it can become a "grand" street from Reno to EK Gaylord should the city be willing to line item fixing the pedestrian issues, finish materials, overall width, and aesthetics in the next GO Bond issue in 2017.

The part that has been completed however, is pretty much a runway. A great drag strip elevated on an earthen dike. It's been fun in the Mustang to say the least.

Crosstown Blvd was better than OKC Boulevard. I like Ridley's Folly personally.

Ralph Ellison is internationally known. I think the city would be well off to associate with his name. Ellison Way or Ellison Avenue. Oklahoma City Blvd is so very generic and bad.

13. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

My comment about Cornett Blvd was a joke...I guess some people missed that.....ie Ron Norrick Blvd.

Anyway....

As the thing started going up, it's hard to not look at it in Bricktown and think, "didn't we JUST tear down an elevated road on that same path". Granted it's hard to work around the canal without going over it somewhere, but it seems like there's an awful lot of elevated road still. I've never been a fan of the access paths of the new I-40 to downtown and it's even more of a disaster right now with construction and whatnot, so I'm crossing my fingers that the blvd can help take some pressure off. I almost with Western and Broadway were given a clean path with no stoplights and blocked off the side streets in about half of the crossings, but I know that will never happen.

This city continues to disrespect its greatest native son, Lon Cheney Jr, by not naming this thing "Wolfman Road".

No matter how pedestrian friendly the middle section becomes the land it consumes will never be returned to the tax rolls and the pavement will need constant maintenance in a part of town where the City already can't afford to properly maintain the streets,

Reality is that we need more revenue and less stuff to spend it on. This boulevard does the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    It is interesting to me that there is a seeming willingness on the part of City Staff to consider taking the keys for the new boulevard.
    The city has had the keys to the boulevard for at least the past 10 years.

That Bricktown segment is total failure multiplied by infinity and is going to have to be torn down eventually. I have the hardest time believing that got approved.
    So how would you have done it? I see a railroad that needs to be bridged (unless you want traffic backed up onto the interstate when a train crosses). You would have to drop the elevation quite a bit in a short stretch to have intersections with the 2 roads south of Bass Pro, It seems to me it was practical to just bridge it to just west of the canal. I have reserved judgment until I see whether there are embellishments that make it prettier than the standard bridge.

You don't build it at all, that's how you do it. The "Boulevard" is redundant. And it's all being built with your money.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    You don't build it at all, that's how you do it. The "Boulevard" is redundant. And it's all being built with your money.
    Not to mention the new ramp leading to it will make I-235 north bound even worse in the afternoons. There are too many on and off ramps too close to each other.

Its funny how they only builds a couple of major access points downtown from I-40 because of ramp clearance, but when it comes to BLVD they ignore ramp clearance for a new exit ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    To be fair, every time I drive down 39th Expressway and cross Tulsa Ave., I have that brief moment of panic of "wha? where?". At least I don't think I'm in far north Canada when I cross the river anymore.
    I really Lol'd

I don't know why they don't just call it "I40 on ramp" or "I40 expressway"

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Not to mention the new ramp leading to it will make I-235 north bound even worse in the afternoons. There are too many on and off ramps too close to each other.
    I can't believe the clusterf*ck they've managed to turn that interchange into. It's going to be an absolute nightmare. ODOT's engineers ought to be shot.

Las Vegas has a boulevard named after it and it turned out to do pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by gurantula35 View Post
    Las Vegas has a boulevard named after it and it turned out to do pretty well
    Las Vegas is a world-renowned tourist destination. The name of the city is also a well-established, positively perceived brand across the globe.

24. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

This wont even be a boulevard, it's actually a highway business bypass 'I-40 BUS'. But I digress.

I agree it should be named after a person or symbolic of Oklahoma City, like 'Ralph Ellison Boulevard'. I personally also like 'Central Boulevard' if they just have to be generic about it.

Even 'Russell Westbrook Avenue' or 'Kevin Durant Parkway' is better than 'Oklahoma City Blvd'! lol just kidding, but still.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

25. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    This wont even be a boulevard, it's actually a highway business bypass 'I-40 BUS'. But I digress.

I agree it should be named after a person or symbolic of Oklahoma City, like 'Ralph Ellison Boulevard'. I personally also like 'Central Boulevard' if they just have to be generic about it.

Even 'Russell Westbrook Avenue' or 'Kevin Durant Parkway' is better than 'Oklahoma City Blvd'! lol just kidding, but still.
    The SuperSonics Blvd

Thread Information