Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Of course it does. That allows people like no1club to start believing their fantasy world of someone not being able to comprehend that I-35 is on the verge of being widened and that is a crazy suggestion. There's new highway construction going on everywhere; there is even new highways being built in Europe.
    I know that us suburbanite's are in the minority here, but in the real world, we still are the majority. America has always relied more on the automobile than anywhere else in the world, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's to ingrained in our culture.

Of course it does. That allows people like no1club to start believing their fantasy world of someone not being able to comprehend that I-35 is on the verge of being widened and that is a crazy suggestion. There's new highway construction going on everywhere; there is even new highways being built in Europe.
    I, personally, would not be opposed to widening I-35 from Norman to Edmond, if it needed it, but it doesn't need it right now. What is needs is reworking of the the interchanges, because that is where the backups happen. I don't think they even need to consider widening it until that area is taken care of. Then, you can figure out if the need is there. Because if you widen the lanes now, you are still going to have the same problems you had before (interchanges) but probably with more accidents due to too many people trying to merge.

I'll tell you why 35 is not getting widened anytime soon...who is going to pay for it? Most of the money coming in the future is (thankfully) earmarked for work on the interchanges, which I agree is probably more of the problem then anything. But beyond that, there are no funds beyond what's earmarked for maintenance.

Gas prices are down and you have people and interests from across the spectrum practically begging for the gas tax to be raised. And the response from both the state and feds....crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I, personally, would not be opposed to widening I-35 from Norman to Edmond, if it needed it, but it doesn't need it right now. What is needs is reworking of the the interchanges, because that is where the backups happen. I don't think they even need to consider widening it until that area is taken care of. Then, you can figure out if the need is there. Because if you widen the lanes now, you are still going to have the same problems you had before (interchanges) but probably with more accidents due to too many people trying to merge.
    I-35 from OKC to Edmond does NOT need to be widened. I agree with that.

I think I-35 from OKC to Norman needs to be widened or at least to 19th St. in Moore. I'm not sure if you travel that stretch, but it gets bumper to bumper every day and it's going to get worse. Right now it is only during rush hour, but I'm on that road all the time and even in just the past two years, traffic has increased significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I'll tell you why 35 is not getting widened anytime soon...who is going to pay for it? Most of the money coming in the future is (thankfully) earmarked for work on the interchanges, which I agree is probably more of the problem then anything. But beyond that, there are no funds beyond what's earmarked for maintenance.

Gas prices are down and you have people and interests from across the spectrum practically begging for the gas tax to be raised. And the response from both the state and feds....crickets.
    If anyone here thinks a republican congress in dc and a repub legislature in OK is going to raise gas taxes I have some snake oil I'd like to sell them.

They identity new funding for projects that come up all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I know that us suburbanite's are in the minority here, but in the real world, we still are the majority. America has always relied more on the automobile than anywhere else in the world, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's to ingrained in our culture.
    This. Especially in Oklahoma.

I am all for urban development and urbanization. I think the number of people in this town who want to live in an urban environment will continue to grow and as that happens the urban core will continue to revitalize. However, this is still Oklahoma and a majority will probably always commute from places like Moore, Norman, Edmond, and far NW OKC and they will NOT do it in train or in a bus, but in their own personal automobile. To ensure the city continues to grow and prosper will require infrastructure investment in the parts of the metro where people live.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    This. Especially in Oklahoma.

I am all for urban development and urbanization. I think the number of people in this town who want to live in an urban environment will continue to grow and as that happens the urban core will continue to revitalize. However, this is still Oklahoma and a majority will probably always commute from places like Moore, Norman, Edmond, and far NW OKC and they will NOT do it in train or in a bus, but in their own personal automobile. To ensure the city continues to grow and prosper will require infrastructure investment in the parts of the metro where people live.
    100% agree. There definitely needs to be a balanced approach.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    If anyone here thinks a republican congress in dc and a repub legislature in OK is going to raise gas taxes I have some snake oil I'd like to sell them.
    Believe it or not, one of the main supporters of a higher gas tax is the VERY conservative US Chamber of Commerce.

They identity new funding for projects that come up all the time.
    The highway trust fund is broke. This is not breaking news. Most new construction in this country is being financed by tolls, and there is a limit to that.

The highway trust fund is broke. This is not breaking news. Most new construction in this country is being financed by tolls, and there is a limit to that.
    I understand. I could be mistaken, but it was my understanding they found a temporary solution for that?

I would be in favor of a higher gas tax and adding a mileage tax as well.

I think I-35 from OKC to Norman needs to be widened or at least to 19th St. in Moore. I'm not sure if you travel that stretch, but it gets bumper to bumper every day and it's going to get worse. Right now it is only during rush hour, but I'm on that road all the time and even in just the past two years, traffic has increased significantly.
    I have two sister in laws that live in Norman, so I travel that stretch all too often. I always take I-44 west to I-40 east to I-35 south. In my experience, all the backups happen right at the 40-35 interchange, a mile north of the 240 interchange and around Warren Theatre (South 4th street in Moore, maybe?). So, by using my travel as an example, most of those traffic headaches could be alleviated by redoing the interchanges, which are the biggest problems right now.

I have two sister in laws that live in Norman, so I travel that stretch all too often. I always take I-44 west to I-40 east to I-35 south. In my experience, all the backups happen right at the 40-35 interchange, a mile north of the 240 interchange and around Warren Theatre (South 4th street in Moore, maybe?). So, by using my travel as an example, most of those traffic headaches could be alleviated by redoing the interchanges, which are the biggest problems right now.
    Those are good points. Let me also say, I would prefer seeing light-rail built from downtown Norman to OKC before this road is widened also.

I agree the interchanges need to be redone as well. Both I-35/I-40 and I-40/240 should be converted to stack interchanges, preferably four levels, allowing traffic to flow smoothly through them at acceptable speeds.

I agree. A lot of those interchanges are complete garbage and not setup to accommodate the amount of traffic they see. Unfortunately by the time they are re-done, traffic will have continued to increase most likely, meaning it will still need to be widened at some point.

I agree the interchanges need to be redone as well. Both I-35/I-40 and I-40/240 should be converted to stack interchanges, preferably four levels, allowing traffic to flow smoothly through them at acceptable speeds.

That would be great. Unfortunately, ODOT cheaps out and the state won't let them borrow money for road construction.

And I bet you there are people in California and Texas whining about the state not spending enough money to widen the roads even further to alleviate rush hour traffic. Its an on going battle.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    And I bet you there are people in California and Texas whining about the state not spending enough money to widen the roads even further to alleviate rush hour traffic. Its an on going battle.
    They are spending close to a billion dollars adding one lane each way on the 405.

There are three major projects on the eight year plan:
    1. I-35/ highway 9 interchange and widening which should be getting underway in a month or two.
    2. I-235 widening and interchange that should be let this year.
    3. I-35 and I-240 interchange.

So there are improvements being made.

They are spending close to a billion dollars adding one lane each way on the 405.
    And I'm sure its not enough. Why not add 3 lanes? Shouldn't they plan for the future?

They have double our population so they kind of have to.

And I'm sure its not enough. Why not add 3 lanes? Shouldn't they plan for the future?

It isn't. If I had the power and money, I'd spend over 5 billion to reconstruct the whole highway adding 8 lanes underneath the 14 lane highway. Almost like what they are doing to 635, but slightly larger.

There are three major projects on the eight year plan:
    1. I-35/ highway 9 interchange and widening which should be getting underway in a month or two.
    2. I-235 widening and interchange that should be let this year.
    3. I-35 and I-240 interchange.

So there are improvements being made.
    Correct.

Don't forget the SH74 expansion along with I-40 widening past Midwest city.

I-240 east of I-40 is being looked at for a widening(although I don't think it is needed) and and new highway is being looked at for Eastern Oklahoma county.

Work is pretty much wrapping up for the I-40 widening to Yukon.

Progress is certainly being made.

I would be very happy if they just focused on the interchanges, but I just wish they would do them them right. Another horrid interchange is I-40/I-44 interchange.

Oklahoma City MSA: 1,319,677
    Los Angeles MSA: 13,131,431

They have pretty much exactly 10 times the population of OKC, not double.

Not sure it means much but I have seen ODOT referring to themselves as OKDOT recently, ie their twitter account. So I guess we can all hope this is a whole switch-a-roo and that extra K is going to mean some pretty impressive projects.

Or maybe Ohio stole the twitter name first but either way I'm really feeling this K. Adds some spice IMO.

You know the irony is that this picture is taken about 10AM with minimal traffic AND 2 of the flyovers are backed up.

Thread Information