Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

I can't wait for 30 years from now (probably 20 given the generally poor quality of construction in OKC) when this thing is crumbling to the ground. Then we can demolish it and wonder how we were so stupid in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by okatty View Post
    Have been on it twice at night in past week or so and BOTH times police have had people pulled over there.
    It should be a gold mine for Police and personal injury lawyers.

Took a tour of the Boulevard.

These last two photos are from on top of the Boulevard, looking east, then west.

It is a bunch of ugly. I'm waiting to see how wide the "boulevard" part of it is.

Ew

It looks worse from a distance. Drive east on Reno, gaze at ODOT's Folly and you'll want to either cry or vomit.

That is pretty bad. Most state DOTs would at least do a decorative bridge. That's standard best practices with a downtown highway project these days. It's just truly amazing how bad OKDOT is.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    That is pretty bad. Most state DOTs would at least do a decorative bridge. That's standard best practices with a downtown highway project these days. It's just truly amazing how bad OKDOT is.
    I've noticed on other new bridges on I-40 out west that the side barriers all have decorations on them. I'd guess when these are done they'll have that too.

Well we will soon find out if downtown can even get a nice suburban highway.

The earthen berms that ODOT has always preferred downtown keep my expectations pretty low.

10. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

The only nice thing I can say about it is that at least it appears to have been built more structurally stable than the toothpick columns used in the old I-40. That's not saying much if that's all I can say though....

It's been awhile since I've been down there. It's really starting to come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    It's been awhile since I've been down there. It's really starting to come together.
    I know! It's just so beautiful! Our tax dollars at work! Wow!

The paving industry must be thrilled. The General Contractors Association has pics of this construction in their new TV spot advocating for more highway and bridge funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    The paving industry must be thrilled. The General Contractors Association has pics of this construction in their new TV spot advocating for more highway and bridge funding.
    Whenever we go by the east portion my husband always asks: "And whose uncle is in the concrete business?"

Can this thing just crumble to the ground already? Without anyone getting hurt, of course.

Blog Entries

Construction on this project is too far along--past the point of no return.

My question; if some minor changes could be made without scrapping the whole project, what would you like to see?

It's hilarious this thing is taking 3 years to build. We've become so complacent with awful construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Construction on this project is too far along--past the point of no return.

My question; if some minor changes could be made without scrapping the whole project, what would you like to see?
    Oklahoma Ave and Joe Carter Ave connected to the boulevard.

Man...this boulevard really could have been something special. It's not everyday that a city relocates a major urban interstate that could be replaced with a grand people-friendly, engaging, boulevard for all users. The economic re-development opportunity along the entirety of the boulevard would have been unbelievable, but now it's really constrained to just a few key parcels that aren't along the freeway portion of the "boulevard". The portion of the freeway near bass pro and the canal is really the most disappointing. It looks EXACTLY like the old I-40.

Transportation projects are a mechanism for economic development. ODOT (and the City as well) missed the enormous opportunity to create hundreds of millions of additional revenue by creating a non-freeway boulevard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
    Man...this boulevard really could have been something special. It's not everyday that a city relocates a major urban interstate that could be replaced with a grand people-friendly, engaging, boulevard for all users. The economic re-development opportunity along the entirety of the boulevard would have been unbelievable, but now it's really constrained to just a few key parcels that aren't along the freeway portion of the "boulevard". The portion of the freeway near bass pro and the canal is really the most disappointing. It looks EXACTLY like the old I-40.

Transportation projects are a mechanism for economic development. ODOT (and the City as well) missed the enormous opportunity to create hundreds of millions of additional revenue by creating a non-freeway boulevard.

Something like Dallas' Harry Hines Boulevard?

So shift Valleybrook's business model to the Crosstown?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So shift Valleybrook's business model to the Crosstown?
    Doesn't sound like you're familiar with Harry Hines Boulevard. Seriously, jerrywall, how does that compare with Valleybrook's business model; you are referring to Valleybrook inside OKC between Bryant & Eastern Avenues @ S. E. 59th Street?

Doesn't sound like you're familiar with Harry Hines Boulevard. Seriously, jerrywall, how does that compare with Valleybrook's business model; you are referring to Valleybrook inside OKC between Bryant & Eastern Avenues @ S. E. 59th Street?
    Yes I am (spent a lot of time down there at Strokers) and yes I am. There are sections of Harry Hines that make Valleybrook look family friendly.

No, more along the lines of Lancaster Avenue in Downtown Fort Worth, which used to be the I-30 alignment until the interstate was shifted south. Now an at-grade boulevard is in its place and in return a pretty pedestrian friendly environment with multiple developments underway.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...le9167735.html

http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedFi...%201-16-07.pdf

This picture was right after the project was finished. There are several developments along the corridor that are under construction right now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lan2.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	12750

Here's a report from ITE on the project as well that includes greater detail: http://library.ite.org/pub/e1cfead8-...8-ca47b8cb643d

Thread Information