Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Boulevard

1. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Was that like 2007?
    2009 actually. But even with all of the changes that have taken place since, there is very little that does not apply in the report. I challenge you to read it in its entirety, as I myself have done a number of times since its release.

In fact I think everyone associated with downtown development - whether in the public or private sector - should refer to it with regularity. It contains mostly universal truths, and is in some places shockingly prescient, even today. The topic of this thread, the boulevard, can be found in the section "Mistakes About to be Made."

Unfortunately great advice like this is often the study du jour and soon relegated to the dustbin. Of all consultants reports the City has received post MAPS, this one should be given the most regular ongoing consideration.

You can read it here: http://www.okc.gov/planning/resources/okcspeckfinal.pdf

Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

I am going to try and get photos soon, but man what a disappointment this is so far (as expected).

The area near BassPro is identical to the removed I-40 and is equally as barrier-creating.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I am going to try and get photos soon, but man what a disappointment this is so far (as expected).

The area near BassPro is identical to the removed I-40 and is equally as barrier-creating.
    Yeah its awful. Not sure how else they could have done it, other than not having it. Its just not visually appealing at all, and like you said its going to cause other negative barrier effects.

It looks like they are finally at-grade just in front of Toby Keith's.

ODOT's Folly in east Bricktown looks like a freeway nightmare straight out of the 70's. I cannot believe the waste of taxpayer money to create that eyesore. What a disappointment!! And no renderings by ODOT have shown a speck of grass anywhere that I've seen, much less the wide grassy median with paths, chairs and tables in renderings that were flashed before our eyes a few years ago. Some "boulevard".

Hey, I understand you don't like the BLVD. I get it and that's great. Can you please take that discussion to Friends for a Better BLVD. and leave this thread for pictures and updates and I promise not to come in that thread and discuss how much I love this BLVD. Thanks

Maybe you should start a new thread like Friends for the Crappy Blvd if you can't handle the reality that is blows and everybody knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    2009 actually. But even with all of the changes that have taken place since, there is very little that does not apply in the report. I challenge you to read it in its entirety, as I myself have done a number of times since its release.

In fact I think everyone associated with downtown development - whether in the public or private sector - should refer to it with regularity. It contains mostly universal truths, and is in some places shockingly prescient, even today. The topic of this thread, the boulevard, can be found in the section "Mistakes About to be Made."

Unfortunately great advice like this is often the study du jour and soon relegated to the dustbin. Of all consultants reports the City has received post MAPS, this one should be given the most regular ongoing consideration.

You can read it here: http://www.okc.gov/planning/resources/okcspeckfinal.pdf
    Thanks for this post. I agree with you. Jeff Speck made some valuable insights here. He honestly did a better job with OKC than many other cities, and that says a lot for him. OKC hasn't even challenged ODOT one bit to follow the report.

Dude I started this thread specifically for updates so take this urbanism crap to the other thread. This title specifically says construction updates. Thanks man.

If you want reality the majority of cities I've seen and researched have boulevards that feed from highways into downtowns and it's about time OKC got one. Just because a forum that represents 0.1 percent of the views of OKC doesn't like the blvd doesn't change the fact the blvd will be well used and enjoyed by 99% of the population of OKC who live in the suburbs. I'm glad ODOT is taking this initiative and building great infrastructure additions to OKC.

Now, if you disagree fine. Let's please take discussion of whether you like the BLVD or not to the friends for a better blvd thread and keep this thread for construction and picture updates like described in the title. Thank you in advance.

How about "Construction Update: They are now working on the part of the boulevard behind the Uhaul building. It still looks terrible."

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Dude I started this thread specifically for updates so take this urbanism crap to the other thread. This title specifically says construction updates. Thanks man.

If you want reality the majority of cities I've seen and researched have boulevards that feed from highways into downtowns and it's about time OKC got one. Just because a forum that represents 0.1 percent of the views of OKC doesn't like the blvd doesn't change the fact the blvd will be well used and enjoyed by 99% of the population of OKC who live in the suburbs. I'm glad ODOT is taking this initiative and building great infrastructure additions to OKC.

Now, if you disagree fine. Let's please take discussion of whether you like the BLVD or not to the friends for a better blvd thread and keep this thread for construction and picture updates like described in the title. Thank you in advance.
    That thread is irrelevant now since the final design has been decided and approved. Like it or not this is now the thread regarding all things about the boulevard. There isn't going to be a better boulevard, this is what we have.

It is not irrelevant. Do you know what a construction update is?

It is not irrelevant. Do you know what a construction update is?
    Yes, its called ODOT if you want an update without any opinion.. I don't know how you expect people to not give their opinion on what's actually being built in real time. Almost every thread about a building or project currently being built has something either commenting how they hate or love it.

Dude holy crap man. ODOT isn't giving updates. If we used your logic there would be no reason to have people post pictures at all because "it's called watching the news."

Just stick to posting f:cking updates and pictures of the construction and leave the opinions at the other thread. I don't understand why that is so hard for you to comprehend?

It isn't just giving an opinion, this thread is literally how the same people who have a predictable response have hijacked it and over 80% of the posts are just people bitching. Just stop.

14. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

It isn't just giving an opinion, this thread is literally how the same people who have a predictable response have hijacked it and over 80% of the posts are just people bitching. Just stop.
    The irony.

Can't we all just get alonggggggg??????

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    The irony.
    My point remains valid. Say whatever you want but you people are incapable of sticking to topic.

Same sh!t different thread. Bunch of f;cking idiots who never miss a chance to bash anything that isn't urban.

Hey, Plu, congrats on your $15 minimum wage earnings... Now, back to topic ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey, Plu, congrats on your $15 minimum wage earnings... Now, back to topic ;-)
    Yes, time to let the thread die. No one cares about the construction of the blvd hence why no one is talking about it.

19. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

My point remains valid. Say whatever you want but you people are incapable of sticking to topic.

Same sh!t different thread. Bunch of f;cking idiots who never miss a chance to bash anything that isn't urban.
    Well we all know I'm full of opinions here...but come on. There is no need to bring out that kind of language for a thread about a road. That kind of stuff gets you banned.

But even if this was created for construction updates, this is a forum where things are discussed and whether you like it or not, when an update is posted, people are going to post their opinions about it. The road is getting built whether anyone here likes it or lumps it...so we can build a bridge (pun....) and get over that one. But that does not mean that we wont have comments about construction.

I've complained about the poor planning on downtown access from day 1 of the new I-40 and it royally sucks. Western and Broadway are clogged like crazy and good luck getting out of downtown after a Thunder game now. Egress is 100 times worse than it was before. I'm hoping the Blvd helps to get rid of that problem. And until we have a working full-coverage light rail, we're going to use our cars to get in/out of downtown. So we will be using things like the BLVD for 50 years guys.

Now that's out of the way, I do HATE a lot of what they did though. There's so much elevated road now, that it almost seemed stupid to tear down the old I-40 since we seriously are just putting most of it right back in. I THOUGHT the idea was to close off some of the stupid little roads and make a at-grade express lane into downtown, with MINIMAL crossings. That's the kind of thing we discuss and comment on Plutonic. You will never find a thread here where people simply post their pictures of construction....that's called Instagram.

nvm

It sucks. End of story

I think the UPDATED CONSTRUCTION of this sucks. I really hope they add something to the west end of the boulevard before it connects with I-40. I found myself going 55 (speed limit is 45) to before I-40 and people were flying past me. I don’t think the west end was meant to be or anyone expected it to be a walkable area, but narrowing the lanes and adding some trees would help the aesthetics of it a lot. My only hope is the Western/Classen/Reno interchange doesn’t suck as much as the rest of the project, but I am not getting my hopes up…

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I think the UPDATED CONSTRUCTION of this sucks. I really hope they add something to the west end of the boulevard before it connects with I-40. I found myself going 55 (speed limit is 45) to before I-40 and people were flying past me. I don’t think the west end was meant to be or anyone expected it to be a walkable area, but narrowing the lanes and adding some trees would help the aesthetics of it a lot. My only hope is the Western/Classen/Reno interchange doesn’t suck as much as the rest of the project, but I am not getting my hopes up…
    Have been on it twice at night in past week or so and BOTH times police have had people pulled over there.

24. Default Re: Crosstown BLVD.(Construction Updates)

Ehh. If a person is an idiot for feeling strongly about a suburban highway cutting through the only urban portion of this city... then so be it. There's plenty of suburban highways and boulevards crisscrossing this city for geniuses like you to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Ehh. If a person is an idiot for feeling strongly about a suburban highway cutting through the only urban portion of this city... then so be it. There's plenty of suburban highways and boulevards crisscrossing this city for geniuses like you to enjoy.
    Where the BLVD accesses I-40 on the west end it has turned into a big cluster during rush hours. Someone is going to get killed if they dont do something to fix this. YOU go from driving 80mph on the superhighway part of I-40 down to a screetching halt around Agnew. It's like hitting a brick wall. Cars try to get all the way across to the south lane to access I-44 south. Then if you are going I-44 north you are looking at lanes vanishing and all funneled into 1 lane. It's a real cluster. Much worse than the old system and that was horrible.

Thread Information